+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP and SOWP extension

AF_H

Jan 25, 2024
Hi,

I'm not working right now and need to extend PGWP and SOWP extension.

I found out that to apply for both permits together, I need a job offer and pay slips. If we apply separately, I'm not sure if my spouse also needs my job offer. Since I'm not working now, what should we do in this situation?

Permit expiry for both of us is : March 31st, 2024

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi,

I'm not working right now and need to extend PGWP and SOWP extension.

I found out that to apply for both permits together, I need a job offer and pay slips. If we apply separately, I'm not sure if my spouse also needs my job offer. Since I'm not working now, what should we do in this situation?

Permit expiry for both of us is : March 31st, 2024
Are you extending your PGWP because you didn't get the full duration of the PGWP due to passport expiry or for another reason?

You need to have a job in order for your spouse to extend their SOWP.

AF_H

Jan 25, 2024
DO you know there is any alternatives, because it will be tough to find one within a short period.

And one more thing, when I filled the form with a no job in IRCC, it shows still I'm eligible to apply for the SOWP.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
DO you know there is any alternatives, because it will be tough to find one within a short period.

And one more thing, when I filled the form with a no job in IRCC, it shows still I'm eligible to apply for the SOWP.
The alternative for the SOWP would be for that employer to get an approved LMIA and then have the spouse on a SOWP apply for a closed work permit.

You can still apply for a SOWP without meeting the requirements but the application will be refused without the PGWP
spouse having a job.

andrews17

Jan 25, 2021
Canada
Category........
PNP

You do not need a job offer or to be employed to apply for a PGWP. However, you do need to be employed to apply for your spouse's open work permit. The job can be any NOC. You must provide proof of employment and recent paystubs.

A lot of people have made that mistake. They apply for both PGWP and SOWP even if the main applicant doesn't have a job. The applications end in an approval of the PGWP and a denied SOWP, which then has to go through a status restoration process which means more time and money.

Reactions: Naturgrl

AF_H

Jan 25, 2024
So right now , I can apply for a PGWP.

But for spouse I need to apply for him after getting a job. The problem is his permit will expire on this March.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
So right now , I can apply for a PGWP.

But for spouse I need to apply for him after getting a job. The problem is his permit will expire on this March.
Yes, that's right. You can apply for a PGWP but your spouse cannot apply for the SOWP extension until you have a qualifying job. You will also need to provide three payslips to show you are working. So you should focus on getting a job. Good luck.

AF_H

Jan 25, 2024
Thank you!!

one more thing, As my spouse's permit will be expired in the meantime as we need three pay slips. Can he stay in Canada or how can he maintain status in Canada?

rcincanada2019

Jan 14, 2023
Ontario
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
App. Filed.......
03-07-2022
Nomination.....
30-03-2022
AOR Received.
03-11-2022
Thank you!!

one more thing, As my spouse's permit will be expired in the meantime as we need three pay slips. Can he stay in Canada or how can he maintain status in Canada?
Apply for visitor record. Not guaranteed to be approved, though, so be aware of that.

AF_H

Jan 25, 2024
Could someone please assist me with a quick question related to my earlier inquiry?

I've secured a job through an agency, and the offer letter will be provided by them. However, I couldn't find specific information about this on the official company website. Is it acceptable to submit an offer letter from the agency, which states my employment with the company and clarifies that it's a temporary position?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Could someone please assist me with a quick question related to my earlier inquiry?

I've secured a job through an agency, and the offer letter will be provided by them. However, I couldn't find specific information about this on the official company website. Is it acceptable to submit an offer letter from the agency, which states my employment with the company and clarifies that it's a temporary position?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
You need to be working for the employer and provide 3 pay slips not just have an offer letter. The fact that this is a temporary job could also impact your ability to qualify for healthcare in some provinces. When you say temporary how long is the contract from the employer and when does the job start? An offer letter is not sufficient to apply for an SOWP so you can wait to get a letter until you start working for the employer.

AF_H

Jan 25, 2024
Thank you for your response!

My job starts next week, and the employer said it's a temporary gig for three months.

I thought of waiting till I start and get my pay slips before applying for the SOWP. Since the SOWP will expire next month, I need to act fast.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you for your response!

My job starts next week, and the employer said it's a temporary gig for three months.

I thought of waiting till I start and get my pay slips before applying for the SOWP. Since the SOWP will expire next month, I need to act fast.
You need to have 3 pay slips before you apply for SOWP. The job may be over before SOWP is processed hopefully you are currently looking for another job. Depending on what province you live in you and your spouse may not qualify for provincial healthcare either (for example in Ontario) so I would also be purchasing emergency medical insurance if you don’t qualify for provincial healthcare.