PASSPORT SEIZED

xmaanix

May 20, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi everyone, how is it going? I have a friend who was student here and claimed refugee and got accepted, but when he was getting landing paper they did not give him his country's passport back which they took when he was applying for refugee, and he was told that this passport we cant give you back and no other information was provided.

So what he did he went to his country's embassy and re-applied for new one and got a new backhome passport. is it a problem for him? now he wants to travel but he is afraid that whats gonna happen as what he did was legal or not...... please advise.

Thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yes - that's a big problem. If he's truly a refugee then he shouldn't be applying to renew his country's passport and he certainly shouldn't be traveling to his home country. All of this could cause issues for him when it's time to apply for Canadian citizenship - these sort of actions can result in citizenship being refused and PR status being revoked. If he wants to travel, he needs to apply for a refugee travel document. He needs to completely avoid traveling to his home country.

FYI - it's absolutely normal and part of the process for his passport to be seized.

Reactions: YOMIFASH

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Your friend should spend a few hours reading through the following thread in detail:

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/refugee-status-cessation-and-prs-applying-for-citizenship-t333455.0.html

LuckyGirl88

Oct 21, 2016
When you apply for Refugee Claim, they will seize your passport. But they will return it back to you once you get your Permanent Resident Card. Same happened with me.

LuckyGirl88

Oct 21, 2016
scylla said:
Yes - that's a big problem. If he's truly a refugee then he shouldn't be applying to renew his country's passport and he certainly shouldn't be traveling to his home country. All of this could cause issues for him when it's time to apply for Canadian citizenship - these sort of actions can result in citizenship being refused and PR status being revoked. If he wants to travel, he needs to apply for a refugee travel document. He needs to completely avoid traveling to his home country.

FYI - it's absolutely normal and part of the process for his passport to be seized.
I have seen so many people Convention Refugees ( after getting PR) traveling to their home country for attending marriages, funerals etc. I don't know when CBSA start giving you problems.

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
LuckyGirl88 said:
I have seen so many people Convention Refugees ( after getting PR) traveling to their home country for attending marriages, funerals etc. I don't know when CBSA start giving you problems.
I suppose when the woke up and realized how people were abusing the system.

faredtsbc

Star Member
Sep 26, 2016
LuckyGirl88 said:
It could result in problems if you visit your home country. It depends on the border officer when he/she returns to canada.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
LuckyGirl88 said:
You didn't actually bother to read the link above - did you?

The revocation of their PR status happens when they try to apply for citizenship. These are people who already have PR and think the are "safe". Not only are they refused citizenship but CIC also initiates proceedings to revoke PR status and force them to leave Canada. CIC has started taking a harder line with abuse recently. So your friends from before may have gotten lucky. However anyone who doesn't have citizenship yet needs to be careful.

Reactions: YOMIFASH

LuckyGirl88

Oct 21, 2016
scylla said:
You didn't actually bother to read the link above - did you?

The revocation of their PR status happens when they try to apply for citizenship. These are people who already have PR and think the are "safe". Not only are they refused citizenship but CIC also initiates proceedings to revoke PR status and force them to leave Canada. CIC has started taking a harder line with abuse recently. So your friends from before may have gotten lucky. However anyone who doesn't have citizenship yet needs to be careful.
I actually do bother to read all news on cessation. I am a convention refugee too and got my PR in April, 2014 . and now I am back to my home country for marriage. I wanted to get married in Canada. but couldn't find any suitable match. I have seen so many of my relatives coming back and forth who were convention refugees. But you have to be lucky. If CBSA question you at the time of your arrival back to Canada, or when you apply for citizenship. I hope I would be lucky enough. Sort of tensed. May God help me.

LuckyGirl88

Oct 21, 2016
faredtsbc said:
It could result in problems if you visit your home country. It depends on the border officer when he/she returns to canada.
that's true. It depends on Border office when you return back. Pray for me. I am convention refugee and came back to my home country for marriage.

AAMM_2015

Feb 17, 2016
LuckyGirl88 said:
that's true. It depends on Border office when you return back. Pray for me. I am convention refugee and came back to my home country for marriage.
Did you go back to your home country and returned to Canada?

redalot

Star Member
Jun 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
well, thats what the CBSA and CIC think, if you are ok to attend marriages then you should be ok to live in your countries too.

I couldnt attend my father funeral and ask me how it feels every day to live with it.

As a protected person this make sense, but once you become a PR holder then things needs to be change and law should allow you to take very short trips to your country in such events like ill parents, deaths and funeral etc..

Reactions: sanem91

Taxed

Jul 9, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-2015
Doc's Request.
11-2015
AOR Received.
04-2015
Med's Request
11-2015
Med's Done....
11-2015
Interview........
9-2016 ARC Approved.: 9-2016 CSQ Issued.....: 2-2017 Re-Med's Request...: 4-2017 Re-Med's Done : 4-2017
Passport Req..
04-2017
VISA ISSUED...
04-2017
LANDED..........
05-2017
LuckyGirl88 said:
If you travelled as a pr for whatever reason to your home country, or even if you apply for a new passport for your home country, your pr will definitely be revoked. Sad but true.

Reactions: AYT

LuckyGirl88

Oct 21, 2016
redalot said:
well, thats what the CBSA and CIC think, if you are ok to attend marriages then you should be ok to live in your countries too.

I couldnt attend my father funeral and ask me how it feels every day to live with it.

As a protected person this make sense, but once you become a PR holder then things needs to be change and law should allow you to take very short trips to your country in such events like ill parents, deaths and funeral etc..
before 2012 law, it was okay to go back to your home country for marriages and other occasions. I hope it would not get any difficulty when i return back to Canada. I have to sponsor my spouse too once I go back.

LuckyGirl88

Oct 21, 2016
Taxed said:
If you travelled as a pr for whatever reason to your home country, or even if you apply for a new passport for your home country, your pr will definitely be revoked. Sad but true.
Have you been in Canada? did you land already or still waiting? if you are still waiting to land. then you know very less about the rules and situations.