+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

passport expires before 3 years of PGWP--extend PGWP experience

kelsisun

Aug 11, 2016
Sorry, but that is crazy! You basically had to pay twice to get your pgwp and then renew it again. Insane. Anyways, glad it worked out for you
Thanks. Yes I know, I was thinking that I didn't need to pay again but I was afraid that if I don't pay, they will reject me. They are the "Boss" and we are "begging" them. LoL.....:p

Alanna

Star Member
Jul 18, 2016
Hi, the best idea will be to renew your passport before you apply for the work permit, but my home country doesn't allow us to renew passports if your passport has more than 6 months validity. So my case was:
old passport would expire in April 2017, so there were about 1.5 years of validity when I applied for my original PGWP. I contacted the embassy but they didn't allow me to get a new one. But I need the PGWP as soon as possible to be able to work since study permit expires by Aug 2015. Therefore, I had no choice but applied for the PGWP with my old passport and renewed passport, and then renewed PGWP again.
Hi there. Sorry to retrieve this topic. I have another question.

In my Port of Entry (POE) Letter of Introduction, it is stated that "If you obtain a new passport before your visa expires, you will need to apply for a new visa." My study permit is valid till Nov 2019 (90 days after the completion of my two-year studies). And I come from a country that requires a temporary resident visa for any Canadian entry. Now, if I were to renew my passport (say, three months in advance) before the application of my PGWP with the purpose of ensuring no renewal of PGWP (like what happened to you) down the road.. any idea if I really have to apply for a new visa (assuming I am not leaving Canada until I get my PGWP)? And did your consulate return your passport, assuming you did it in Canada and it was processed in your home country?

Becky92

Mar 13, 2018
Hey there

I have a similar situation. My post grad work permit is expiring 2 months earlier than the expected period. Was wondering if i would have to apply for another work permit like you did. Any suggestions as to what i can do ?
Thanks

mhkash

Nov 11, 2017
Hi guys, I just want to share my experience of extending my post graduate work permit (PGWP) in a situation that my old passport expired before the granted period of PGWP.

I graduated in June 2015 with a bachelor degree from university and was supposed to get a 3-year PGWP, but the first PGWP was issued for only one and half years because my old passport would expire in April 2017. In this situation, there is a remark on the bottom of my first PGWP saying "document issued to passport expiry; must be renewed....". I heard this is the only situation that you are allowed to renew your PGWP. After I got my renewed passport, I called CIC and they told me that I had to apply it again just like what I did for my initial PGWP, but the difference is, for this time, I have to mail my documents to them instead of applying online. I found the document package for mailing application on CIC website and paid the application fees ($255) again and mailed everything to the address they indicate. The processing time was around 160 days and I got my renewed PGWP in 163 days. The good news is, they re-issued 3 years to me instead of extending the remaining 1.5 years to me, so my PGWP expires in 2020.

Note: 1. The documents that I sent for the new PGWP application were just what I sent initially, but I attached an explanation letter of why I need to apply again for the PGWP and a copy of new passport.
2. If you pay your fee through their online payment, remember to attach your receipt to them.

It is not a complicated and annoying process except paying the fee again. Hope you all get this done successfully.

Thanks~
Hi, I am a bit confused since I have read in the posts of other people that they applied like extension of open work permits and submitted other documents such as IMM5556, while you said we need to apply for PGWP again and submit all the documents required for PGWP such as IMM5583.
Please see the link below (the second post):
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/help-pgwp-extension-upon-passport-renewal-as-per-note.413789/

I was wondering which way is correct?

qaplaza

Jul 14, 2018
Hi there. Sorry to retrieve this topic. I have another question.

In my Port of Entry (POE) Letter of Introduction, it is stated that "If you obtain a new passport before your visa expires, you will need to apply for a new visa." My study permit is valid till Nov 2019 (90 days after the completion of my two-year studies). And I come from a country that requires a temporary resident visa for any Canadian entry. Now, if I were to renew my passport (say, three months in advance) before the application of my PGWP with the purpose of ensuring no renewal of PGWP (like what happened to you) down the road.. any idea if I really have to apply for a new visa (assuming I am not leaving Canada until I get my PGWP)? And did your consulate return your passport, assuming you did it in Canada and it was processed in your home country?
Hello. My situation will be same yours. My passport also will expire same month and year my Student visa expires. I am also thinking of renewing my passport before applying for PGWP but if I am going to renew my passport, I think I will also lose the validity of my student visa as this document is linked to your current passport. And it says to apply for a PGWP you have to have a valid study permit. What are your thoughts of this?

HarshaPatil

Dec 15, 2018
Hello,

I am planning to apply for a PG course in Canada for 2 years but my passport is expiring in 1 and a half years. In my country (India), one cannot renew a passport before it is 1 year of the expiration date. I am afraid that I won't get a visa if my passport is not valid for the entire duration of the study.

If I wait till the date that my passport will have 1 year to expire, it will be too late to apply for the colleges and then the study visa. The visa, passport, college admissions are all linked, right?
Has anyone faced a similar situation? Is there any solution? What should I do?

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
Hello,

I am planning to apply for a PG course in Canada for 2 years but my passport is expiring in 1 and a half years. In my country (India), one cannot renew a passport before it is 1 year of the expiration date. I am afraid that I won't get a visa if my passport is not valid for the entire duration of the study.

If I wait till the date that my passport will have 1 year to expire, it will be too late to apply for the colleges and then the study visa. The visa, passport, college admissions are all linked, right?
Has anyone faced a similar situation? Is there any solution? What should I do?
Passport doesnt need to be valid for duration of study so you can apply just fine, you will later need to extend your study permit after getting new passport.

napnusion

Star Member
Jun 23, 2014
No, as far as I know, you will get TRV for the whole duration of the program (longer than the expiry of the passport)

What will really happen?

You will have a VALID visa in an expired passport (WHICH IS ABSOLUTELY FINE AND LEGAL)

So, when this happens, you renew your passport (either in Canada or India) and they will issue you a new passport.

Afterwards, you will be using both your new and old passport (with visa) to do your Study permit extensions or PGWP.

One more thing, you may get study permit up to the duration of the passport (which you can easily renew with a study permit extension application through CIC)

HarshaPatil

Dec 15, 2018
No, as far as I know, you will get TRV for the whole duration of the program (longer than the expiry of the passport)

What will really happen?

You will have a VALID visa in an expired passport (WHICH IS ABSOLUTELY FINE AND LEGAL)

So, when this happens, you renew your passport (either in Canada or India) and they will issue you a new passport.

Afterwards, you will be using both your new and old passport (with visa) to do your Study permit extensions or PGWP.

One more thing, you may get study permit up to the duration of the passport (which you can easily renew with a study permit extension application through CIC)

Thank you so much for the response.

lucas5577

Jan 5, 2019
Hi guys, I just want to share my experience of extending my post graduate work permit (PGWP) in a situation that my old passport expired before the granted period of PGWP.

I graduated in June 2015 with a bachelor degree from university and was supposed to get a 3-year PGWP, but the first PGWP was issued for only one and half years because my old passport would expire in April 2017. In this situation, there is a remark on the bottom of my first PGWP saying "document issued to passport expiry; must be renewed....". I heard this is the only situation that you are allowed to renew your PGWP. After I got my renewed passport, I called CIC and they told me that I had to apply it again just like what I did for my initial PGWP, but the difference is, for this time, I have to mail my documents to them instead of applying online. I found the document package for mailing application on CIC website and paid the application fees ($255) again and mailed everything to the address they indicate. The processing time was around 160 days and I got my renewed PGWP in 163 days. The good news is, they re-issued 3 years to me instead of extending the remaining 1.5 years to me, so my PGWP expires in 2020.

Note: 1. The documents that I sent for the new PGWP application were just what I sent initially, but I attached an explanation letter of why I need to apply again for the PGWP and a copy of new passport.
2. If you pay your fee through their online payment, remember to attach your receipt to them.

It is not a complicated and annoying process except paying the fee again. Hope you all get this done successfully.

Thanks~
Hi kelsisun,

I have the same situation and seeking for the answer, and I found your post is very helful.
My PGWP suppose to be expire on March 13,2020 but It will expired on July 02, 2019 due to expiry of passport. I have already applied for new passport after that I will apply for renew PGWP, BUT my PGWP not stating the same as you have, just remark: "TEMPORARY RESIDENT STATUS MAINTAINED AS PER R183(6). POST GRAD WORK PERMIT DOCUMENT ISSUED TO THE VALIDITY OF THE PASSPORT EXPIRY DATE."
Just wondering if my case is same as your?

Looking forward to hear back from you.

Thanks.

BA2LAMAZ

Champion Member
Feb 25, 2016
Can someone please advise on these?

1. When is the earliest possible time to renew/apply for the remaining months of your PWGP? Does it have to be 30 days prior to the expiration of the current one?

2. Does it have to be done by mail only, or are there successful online applicants?

3. Does one have to state current status as worker or student?

4. Please provide a sample of the letter of explanation attached with the application.

Lokender

Jul 4, 2019
Hi kelsisun,

I have the same situation and seeking for the answer, and I found your post is very helful.
My PGWP suppose to be expire on March 13,2020 but It will expired on July 02, 2019 due to expiry of passport. I have already applied for new passport after that I will apply for renew PGWP, BUT my PGWP not stating the same as you have, just remark: "TEMPORARY RESIDENT STATUS MAINTAINED AS PER R183(6). POST GRAD WORK PERMIT DOCUMENT ISSUED TO THE VALIDITY OF THE PASSPORT EXPIRY DATE."

Thanks.
Hey lucas,
Can you please tell if you have got your PGWP extended on new passport?

krishkrish

Star Member
Dec 30, 2019
Hi kelsisun,

Thanks.[/QUOTE
Hi,
I also got same remark in my PGWP

document issued to passport expiry

DID YOU APPLY FOR EXTENSION PLEASE HELP ME