+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Options on a closed work permit - unhappy and want to move

Em246

Apr 23, 2023
In January 2022 I moved to Quebec after being sponsored by my company. I now have a closed work permit for 3 years.

the last few months have been extremely tough, and and I am unhappy with my job for many reasons.. lack of training, no support, bad communication - I have realised this is not the job for me.

I hit a downward spiral, and have gone into depression. Having to have therapy and contemplating medication.

Adapting to the culture, the language and no support from family back at home has been tough.

I work in marketing and back in my home country I had a photography business on the side. My employer has told me I cannot do this here as my visa does not cover a second job. It is making me extremely unhappy.

I would like to stay in Canada but I’m unsure of Quebec and would prefer to be in Ontario. I would also like to have the flexibility to be able to have a full time job, while being part time employed doing my photography.

what options do I have available? I need to make some decisions soon, as it is effecting my mental health, and happiness.

I would consider trying to get sponsored by another company, but again, on a closed permit I would be unable to do my photography.

any advice would be much appreciated
Thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
In January 2022 I moved to Quebec after being sponsored by my company. I now have a closed work permit for 3 years.

the last few months have been extremely tough, and and I am unhappy with my job for many reasons.. lack of training, no support, bad communication - I have realised this is not the job for me.

I hit a downward spiral, and have gone into depression. Having to have therapy and contemplating medication.

Adapting to the culture, the language and no support from family back at home has been tough.

I work in marketing and back in my home country I had a photography business on the side. My employer has told me I cannot do this here as my visa does not cover a second job. It is making me extremely unhappy.

I would like to stay in Canada but I’m unsure of Quebec and would prefer to be in Ontario. I would also like to have the flexibility to be able to have a full time job, while being part time employed doing my photography.

what options do I have available? I need to make some decisions soon, as it is effecting my mental health, and happiness.

I would consider trying to get sponsored by another company, but again, on a closed permit I would be unable to do my photography.

any advice would be much appreciated
Thanks
If you want to switch employer, you need to find an employer who will give you a job offer, that employer will need to obtain an approved LMIA and then you can apply for a new work permit.

Your employer is right about your photography. Your closed work permit does not allow you to engage in other employment. A new closed work permit with a different employer will have the same restrictions.

Reactions: Naturgrl

Em246

Apr 23, 2023
If you want to switch employer, you need to find an employer who will give you a job offer, that employer will need to obtain an approved LMIA and then you can apply for a new work permit.

Your employer is right about your photography. Your closed work permit does not allow you to engage in other employment. A new closed work permit with a different employer will have the same restrictions.

Thank you,

My question is - what is the process for me starting up a part time business on the side of a full time job? As I want to stay in Canada, legally, whilst doing both. I have a meeting with an immigration lawyer this week to discuss also

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you,

My question is - what is the process for me starting up a part time business on the side of a full time job? As I want to stay in Canada, legally, whilst doing both. I have a meeting with an immigration lawyer this week to discuss also
You would need to be holding an open work permit in order to do that.

Em246

Apr 23, 2023
You would need to be holding an open work permit in order to do that.
How easy is it to obtain an open work permit. Applying again for the company I work for now (but open instead of closed)? Seen as we have already been through the closed process. With the intention to do photography on the side too?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
How easy is it to obtain an open work permit. Applying again for the company I work for now (but open instead of closed)? Seen as we have already been for the closed process. With the intention to do photography on the side too?
The short answer is not easy. Open work permits are only issued in specific circumstances.

Examples include where the spouse is an international student in Canada or where the spouse is in Canada on an employer-specific work permit.

If you have applied for PR and your application has been accepted or you have been successfully nominated by a province, then in some cases, you may qualify for a bridging open work permit while the PR application is processed.

Yet another example is where your spouse is a Canadian (i.e. citizen or PR) and has sponsored you for PR inland.

Do any of these circumstances apply to you?

Em246

Apr 23, 2023
The short answer is not easy. Open work permits are only issued in specific circumstances.

Examples include where the spouse is an international student in Canada or where the spouse is in Canada on an employer-specific work permit.

If you have applied for PR and your application has been accepted or you have been successfully nominated by a province, then in some cases, you may qualify for a bridging open work permit while the PR application is processed.

Yet another example is where your spouse is a Canadian (i.e. citizen or PR) and has sponsored you for PR inland.

Do any of these circumstances apply to you?

None of those apply, but I am curious about applying for a PR. And how does somebody get nominated by a province, in which circumstance? I would seriously consider a bridging permit if it allows, as I am unhappy, but would like to stay in canada just in a different job, and more freedom to work another job.

Some other questions I have:

Can I apply for PR after 1 year 4 months living and working in Quebec but for ontario?

What if I wanted to apply for a bridging permit to live in Ontario?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
None of those apply, but I am curious about applying for a PR. And how does somebody get nominated by a province, in which circumstance? I would seriously consider a bridging permit if it allows, as I am unhappy, but would like to stay in canada just in a different job, and more freedom to work another job.

Some other questions I have:

Can I apply for PR after 1 year 4 months living and working in Quebec but for ontario?

What if I wanted to apply for a bridging permit to live in Ontario?
The short answer is that you need to dedicate time to researching the various PNP programs.

If you are living and working in Quebec, then I'm not sure any other province's PNP programs are an option for you right now. The PNP programs require you to show an intent to live and work in that province and often require you to be already working in that province or have a job offer in that province. But again, you'll need to dedicate time to researching all of the PNP programs. There are many and they each have different requirements.

You can't apply for a bridging permit to live in Ontario. It doesn't work that way. You would need to first meet the requirements of one of Ontario's PNP program, apply for the nomination, and then receive the nomination successfully. Once you are nominated, you can then generally apply for the BOWP.

Have you looked into Quebec's PR programs?

Em246

Apr 23, 2023
The short answer is that you need to dedicate time to researching the various PNP programs.

If you are living and working in Quebec, then I'm not sure any other province's PNP programs are an option for you right now. The PNP programs require you to show an intent to live and work in that province and often require you to be already working in that province or have a job offer in that province. But again, you'll need to dedicate time to researching all of the PNP programs. There are many and they each have different requirements.

You can't apply for a bridging permit to live in Ontario. It doesn't work that way. You would need to first meet the requirements of one of Ontario's PNP program, apply for the nomination, and then receive the nomination successfully. Once you are nominated, you can then generally apply for the BOWP.

Have you looked into Quebec's PR programs?
Unfortunately I don't want to stay in Quebec, as I would need to pass a French exam to become a resident, which isn't possible for me at the moment.

Do you know how long you have to be here before applying for a PR?

I'm not sure I can wait another 1.5 years here to gain this, and then move to another province. It is becoming extremely difficult as I mentioned, and fitting into the culture, language, and working a job that isn't motivating me is extremely difficult. If there are no options for me, I have no choice but to return to my country, but I wanted to try everything possible to stay in Canada if I could, as would love to build my life of here, just not in Quebec.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Unfortunately I don't want to stay in Quebec, as I would need to pass a French exam to become a resident, which isn't possible for me at the moment.

Do you know how long you have to be here before applying for a PR?

I'm not sure I can wait another 1.5 years here to gain this, and then move to another province. It is becoming extremely difficult as I mentioned, and fitting into the culture, language, and working a job that isn't motivating me is extremely difficult. If there are no options for me, I have no choice but to return to my country, but I wanted to try everything possible to stay in Canada if I could, as would love to build my life of here, just not in Quebec.
You aren’t applying for PR. You can apply for Express Entry anytime if you are eligible. Are you, based on your age, IELTS, ECA, work experience? What is your CRS score? Because you live in Quebec, you will need to show that you are intending to move to another province.

If you have a high enough score, you are then invited to apply for PR.

Em246

Apr 23, 2023
You aren’t applying for PR. You can apply for Express Entry anytime if you are eligible. Are you, based on your age, IELTS, ECA, work experience? What is your CRS score? Because you live in Quebec, you will need to show that you are intending to move to another province.

If you have a high enough score, you are then invited to apply for PR.

Would express entry allow me to apply for another job in ontario, and at the moment I am 28 years old, with 5-6 years of experience in my field (marketing). Is it worth me applying for that now? And how long roughly would I need to wait before I could officially move there?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Would express entry allow me to apply for another job in ontario, and at the moment I am 28 years old, with 5-6 years of experience in my field (marketing). Is it worth me applying for that now? And how long roughly would I need to wait before I could officially move there?
Express Entry would only allow you to switch employers once your profile is selected (i.e. you receive ITA), your complete application is submitted and you have AOR (which is what allows you to apply for the BOWP).

Have you calculated your points under EE? This is very important to determine your chances of being selected. You want to score around 480 or more. Make sure you do not count points for having a job offer in Canada. None of us can tell you if it's worth applying now without knowing your score.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Do you have ECA for education and IELTS for language. Those are mandatory documents. Calculate your CRS score.

Reactions: scylla

Em246

Apr 23, 2023
Do you have ECA for education and IELTS for language. Those are mandatory documents. Calculate your CRS score.
So,

I filled out an assessment via the website here and this was my result. Does this mean I qualify for the above? Sorry the terms are becoming confusing for me. I'm not sure what an ECA for IELTS is.

Based on the information provided, you appear to satisfy the eligibility requirements of the Canadian Experience Class (CEC). We would be pleased to work with you in pursuing Canadian permanent residence through Canada's Express Entry system.

To be eligible for Express Entry as a CEC candidate, a candidate must:

• Intend to settle anywhere in Canada, except for the province of Quebec;
  • Have 12 months of full-time (or equivalent part-time), authorized, skilled Canadian work experience in the last three years; and
  • Demonstrate the requisite language proficiency for their occupation by way of a standardized English or French language test acceptable to the Canadian government. A Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) of 7 is required for managerial or professional occupations, while a CLB of 5 is required for trades or technical occupations.

Your Strong CRS Score
Having reviewed the information that you provided, your CRS score appears to be 498. During the Express Entry draw that was performed on March 29, 2023, a total of 7,000 candidates with CRS scores of 481 and above received an ITA. Had your profile been in the Express Entry pool with a score above 481 when this draw occurred, you would have received an ITA.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
So,

I filled out an assessment via the website here and this was my result. Does this mean I qualify for the above? Sorry the terms are becoming confusing for me. I'm not sure what an ECA for IELTS is.

Based on the information provided, you appear to satisfy the eligibility requirements of the Canadian Experience Class (CEC). We would be pleased to work with you in pursuing Canadian permanent residence through Canada's Express Entry system.

To be eligible for Express Entry as a CEC candidate, a candidate must:

• Intend to settle anywhere in Canada, except for the province of Quebec;
  • Have 12 months of full-time (or equivalent part-time), authorized, skilled Canadian work experience in the last three years; and
  • Demonstrate the requisite language proficiency for their occupation by way of a standardized English or French language test acceptable to the Canadian government. A Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) of 7 is required for managerial or professional occupations, while a CLB of 5 is required for trades or technical occupations.

Your Strong CRS Score
Having reviewed the information that you provided, your CRS score appears to be 498. During the Express Entry draw that was performed on March 29, 2023, a total of 7,000 candidates with CRS scores of 481 and above received an ITA. Had your profile been in the Express Entry pool with a score above 481 when this draw occurred, you would have received an ITA.
You have just asked a law firm for advice. Go on the IRCC website - Express Entry and calculate your eligibility score. Then calculate the CRS score. Again all on the IRCC website.