+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LANDING IN CANADA ??? -All You Need To Know.

qwerbilzak

Star Member
Nov 2, 2010
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-10-2010
AOR Received.
18-11-2010
Med's Request
20-04-2011
Med's Done....
11-05-2011
Passport Req..
06-06-2011
VISA ISSUED...
20-06-2011
LANDED..........
07-12-2011
Thanks for the great information!

A question relating to this:

If we land in December 2011, but plan to settle Summer 2013 -

1) When do we need to give them our goods to follow list?
2) Will they be upset if we give them a Canadian address to send the PR card to, but also tell them we don't plan to settle for another year?
3) We have a lot of electronic gear we use for hobbies (art and recording studio). Will they allow this gear to come in duty free as personal effects, or will they assume it must be for commercial use and attach duties?

Thanks!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You need the goods to follow list when you land

If you tell them when you land that you will not be at the address where you are getting the PR card sent to, they may decide to withhold the card until you are back for good. They have no reason to be pissed off though if you you say you are not settling in Canada for a year or two. It is your right as a PR to stay outside Canada for up to 3 out of 5 years.

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
qwerbilzak said:
3) We have a lot of electronic gear we use for hobbies (art and recording studio). Will they allow this gear to come in duty free as personal effects, or will they assume it must be for commercial use and attach duties?

Thanks!

What level of kit is this, Digidesign, Soundcraft, Yamaha PM5D / M7CL / LS9 or something domestic ?

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
qwerbilzak said:
A question relating to this:
In all probabilities u'd get it inside for FREE, once listed.

qwerbilzak

Star Member
Nov 2, 2010
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-10-2010
AOR Received.
18-11-2010
Med's Request
20-04-2011
Med's Done....
11-05-2011
Passport Req..
06-06-2011
VISA ISSUED...
20-06-2011
LANDED..........
07-12-2011
Baloo said:
What level of kit is this, Digidesign, Soundcraft, Yamaha PM5D / M7CL / LS9 or something domestic ?
It's a couple Neve, Hardy, Demeter Mic Preamps, a lot of microphones, various guitars, amps, headphones, etc.

qwerbilzak

Star Member
Nov 2, 2010
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-10-2010
AOR Received.
18-11-2010
Med's Request
20-04-2011
Med's Done....
11-05-2011
Passport Req..
06-06-2011
VISA ISSUED...
20-06-2011
LANDED..........
07-12-2011
qorax said:
In all probabilities u'd get it inside for FREE, once listed.
That's great to hear! I hope you're right. :)

qwerbilzak

Star Member
Nov 2, 2010
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-10-2010
AOR Received.
18-11-2010
Med's Request
20-04-2011
Med's Done....
11-05-2011
Passport Req..
06-06-2011
VISA ISSUED...
20-06-2011
LANDED..........
07-12-2011
Leon said:
You need the goods to follow list when you land

If you tell them when you land that you will not be at the address where you are getting the PR card sent to, they may decide to withhold the card until you are back for good. They have no reason to be pissed off though if you you say you are not settling in Canada for a year or two. It is your right as a PR to stay outside Canada for up to 3 out of 5 years.
Ok, thanks Leon.

So is there no real practical difference between being an "immigrant" and being a "settler" as far as the landing process and importing is concerned?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
qwerbilzak said:
Ok, thanks Leon.

So is there no real practical difference between being an "immigrant" and being a "settler" as far as the landing process and importing is concerned?
Yes, here is the difference as stated in the website and publication:

Persons entering Canada to become Permanent Residents without the intention of residing immediately in Canada are not considered Settlers to Canada since they do not have any intention of remaining in Canada at that time, and will live outside Canada for an undetermined period of time. Therefore, under customs legislation, these persons are considered visitors to Canada, even if they are Permanent Residents for immigration purposes.

lika

Star Member
Jun 13, 2011
Chennai
Category........
Visa Office......
CHC ND
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-12-2010
AOR Received.
02-03-2011
IELTS Request
Sent with initial application
File Transfer...
02-03-2011
Med's Request
26-04-2011
Med's Done....
07-05-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-04-2011 (PCC and PP submitted June 2nd)
VISA ISSUED...
Oct 12, 2011
LANDED..........
April 2012

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
qwerbilzak said:
It's a couple Neve, Hardy, Demeter Mic Preamps, a lot of microphones, various guitars, amps, headphones, etc.
List the larger items with their serial numbers, be honest about the price estimates.
If you have original receipts carry them, but do not attache them to the goods to follow list.
As long as the equipment is not all brand new, you should not have a problem.

BTW Nice kit :)

axbycz

Aug 15, 2011
Hi Qorax,

Thanks dude...your posts are really helpful and useful. Can you please advise on my below situation

I am planning to do my landing this friday from seattle to vancouver by road. I have a friend in seattle and vancouver. I might use their help for travelling using seattle frnd(he has canada PR too) to drop me to vancouver and stay at my vancouver frnd place to start the process. I am an Indian citizen, done my MS in US and worked for 2 years and had some H1B stamping issue and so left to India from where I applied for Canada. I got my PR but i was also applied for H1B again and both my H1B to US and PR for Canada got approved. So i moved to US on H1B and started working again. My Canada PR visa expires in Oct 2011 and I want to do this landing process this friday. I am currently not sure if i want to settle in Canada but want to keep it as backup option but i do not have any plans right away to move to canada.

1) I have the list of documents but in case the POE officer asks me, should i say that I do not want move immediately and may move after 2 months because i do not want them to hold my PR card.

2) I may go back again to US in a week once i finish the other formalities like SIN, bank Account etc, is it ok with Bank of America Statement or do they need a bank draft

3) I earn money in US, do i need to file and pay the taxes at the end of year in Canada too

Thanks
axbycz

Lynn-ji

Jun 2, 2011
I asked the tax question from Revenue Canada. I was told tax obligations are based on residency, unlike the US where tax obligation is based on citizenship or green card status, and we have to report income earned outside the U.S. The person told me to contact Revenue Canada when I have settled there to get on the tax roles. So I understand that, even though I officially land in Canada and then return to the U.S. to sell the house and arrange the move, I will not be responsible for taxes there until I actually move household. But to be clear on this, you should call Revenue Canada.

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
axbycz said:
Hi Qorax,

Thanks dude...your posts are really helpful and useful. Can you please advise on my below situation

I am planning to do my landing this friday from seattle to vancouver by road. I have a friend in seattle and vancouver. I might use their help for travelling using seattle frnd(he has canada PR too) to drop me to vancouver and stay at my vancouver frnd place to start the process. I am an Indian citizen, done my MS in US and worked for 2 years and had some H1B stamping issue and so left to India from where I applied for Canada. I got my PR but i was also applied for H1B again and both my H1B to US and PR for Canada got approved. So i moved to US on H1B and started working again. My Canada PR visa expires in Oct 2011 and I want to do this landing process this friday. I am currently not sure if i want to settle in Canada but want to keep it as backup option but i do not have any plans right away to move to canada.

1) I have the list of documents but in case the POE officer asks me, should i say that I do not want move immediately and may move after 2 months because i do not want them to hold my PR card.

2) I may go back again to US in a week once i finish the other formalities like SIN, bank Account etc, is it ok with Bank of America Statement or do they need a bank draft

3) I earn money in US, do i need to file and pay the taxes at the end of year in Canada too

Thanks
axbycz
1) If u tell the BSO that u aren't settling now - s/he may not proceed with your PRC application & ask u to file it later, once u return for good.
2) Though u r required to show Cash or DD/TC, many have sailed thru successfully with a bank statement.
3/a) Canada has tax treaties with many nations, especially with the US. Thus, u'd pay only once - either here or there.
3/b) If u don't establish residential ties - u don't file your tax returns.

Qorax

venkuds

Jun 29, 2010
Dear All Seniors

This is venkat. I landed in Calgary AB on July 2nd 2011. Everything went very well. I stayed my friends house for week to apply SIN, health card and bank account. Then I returned back to USA. He received SIN and health card. Still yet to receive PR Card. It has been 45days. Now my friend bought new house in calgary and will move next week. I am worried about my PR card. I tried to call 1 888 242-2100 to change the address. But Could not reach them from USA.

I tried to change to forwarding to my friend's new address on line on CANADA Post. It says that i should be able to change if I am residing in canada.

I requesting all your help. please please.
1. Is there anyway to forward my mails to my friends new address?If so, please provide the deatils
2. Why it is taking more than 45days to receive PR card?
3. Is there any place to see the status of PR card online in CIC website? whether it is sent or not?
4. Can I change the address in online in CIC website? what is URL?
5. If PRC is misplaced, is there any problem to my PR card and status? how to get new one.? what is the procedure.

I have week to react before my friend moves to new house. please help me what ever is possible
Thanks for advance help

Venkat

qwerbilzak

Star Member
Nov 2, 2010
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-10-2010
AOR Received.
18-11-2010
Med's Request
20-04-2011
Med's Done....
11-05-2011
Passport Req..
06-06-2011
VISA ISSUED...
20-06-2011
LANDED..........
07-12-2011
steaky said:
Yes, here is the difference as stated in the website and publication:

Persons entering Canada to become Permanent Residents without the intention of residing immediately in Canada are not considered Settlers to Canada since they do not have any intention of remaining in Canada at that time, and will live outside Canada for an undetermined period of time. Therefore, under customs legislation, these persons are considered visitors to Canada, even if they are Permanent Residents for immigration purposes.
Sorry, maybe I'm being stupid, but I don't understand what the difference is for landing purposes.