+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LANDING IN CANADA ??? -All You Need To Know.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Mar2900 said:
1. On the next occasion, June 2012, I am going to Canada to settle my family members in Toronto to complete the 730 mandatory days before PR card expires BUT what about me that I am still not confident to get a suitable job to leave the Middle Eastern service. In this case how I can protect my PR card status?

You can not protect it.

2. If my PR card expires under above unavoidable circumstances, what will be the process to renew PR card OR, to visit my family frequently?

Inspite of not meeting the residency requirements, you can most likely get away with visiting your family as long as your PR card is not expired. If decide to move to Canada before it expires, do not try to renew it until you have spent 730 days in Canada and meet the residency requirements again. If it expires and you are still outside Canada and don't meet the residency requirements, you can apply for a PR travel document to travel to Canada. This will probably be denied as you don't meet the requirements. You will then lose your PR status but can then either apply for a multiple entry visit visa or have your wife sponsor you for PR again.

3. If my PR card expires as a principal member, what will be the affect to my family member's PR status?

None. After landing, there is no principal member any more. You are all equal and each responsible for your own PR.

4. I didn't take household luggage at the first landing- NOW I need to transfer huge items with my family shifting. Is there any procedure to apply to grant me excessive luggage without tax, considering 1st landing, as I don't avail this facility that time?

I do not know that one. You should have had a goods to follow list when you first landed. Now you are moving back after a long stay, maybe you are allowed to bring your stuff still. Make a list of goods you are bringing and goods to follow so you can ask at customs if they will accept it.

5. As I know I can carry 10,000X 3-person= 30,000 CAD without declaration to custom, right?

Yes. 10,000 per person. Do not carry all of it yourself though. Split it up between your family.

6. I had open one bank account-having nominal transaction time to time, paying house rent with utilities bills since first landing, no income in Canada, no income in Home-Country but income from salary/ service in Middle East. Hope- still Canadian Tax will not impose to me; right?

While you were all living outside Canada, you would not have been required to file taxes. Now that you want to leave your family in Canada and live elsewhere yourself but I assume supporting your family financially, it is possible that you will be considered a resident for tax purposes after your family moves.

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
Mar2900 said:
Subsequent landing in Canada ...
My 1st landing with family (me, wife and son) members was in Toronto under skilled migration on July 2009. We are about to pass full (3-years) allowed time outside/ Middle East by next year June. My son is intending higher study from that time, accompanying with his mother, in Canada. I am living in Middle East with family/ service. After settling university admission and accommodation by next year June, i will be back to my current service, as far i don't get suitable job of my standard.

Dear Experts: I read often postings and valuable advices related to Canadian migration and really get benefited in past, without posting a new topic. THANKS for that to all of you, especially to Toby, Suin, Alabaman and Steaky. Now I need some more info that's I don't find (may be missed!) for better understanding, although I have sufficient time in hand to spare.
1. On the next occasion, June 2012, I am going to Canada to settle my family members in Toronto to complete the 730 mandatory days before PR card expires BUT what about me that I am still not confident to get a suitable job to leave the Middle Eastern service. In this case how I can protect my PR card status?
2. If my PR card expires under above unavoidable circumstances, what will be the process to renew PR card OR, to visit my family frequently?
3. If my PR card expires as a principal member, what will be the affect to my family member's PR status?
4. I didn't take household luggage at the first landing- NOW I need to transfer huge items with my family shifting. Is there any procedure to apply to grant me excessive luggage without tax, considering 1st landing, as I don't avail this facility that time?
5. As I know I can carry 10,000X 3-person= 30,000 CAD without declaration to custom, right?
6. I had open one bank account-having nominal transaction time to time, paying house rent with utilities bills since first landing, no income in Canada, no income in Home-Country but income from salary/ service in Middle East. Hope- still Canadian Tax will not impose to me; right?
U r obviously getting mixed-up between the PR "Card" & your PR "Status". The 'Card' is issued for 5yrs - which could be renewed everytime - as long as u maintain your residency.

However, your PR 'Status' is the one u should be seriously keeping your eye on.
'Coz, if u don't maintain the minimum 730 days of Canadian Residency - in every 'rolling' 5yrs. - U could be heading for trouble.

That applies to each one of u in your family... each has to maintain that 2yrs. in 5yrs. period of "stay" in Canada -- which means s/he gets to reside "abroad" for 3yrs. in every 5yrs., in a rolling cycle. Else, u lose your PR 'Status'. And if that happens then that pax [the PA or anyone in his family] has to start from scratch.

Now to your queries:

1. U should ensure that u all 'enter' Canada couple of days before 730 days [keep a margin of error]. And when u thus, enter Canada in June 2012... there's no going back... each one of u MUST continue to reside here for another 1095 days, w/out fail. Else u lose it [his/her PR 'Status']. Ditto for u, yourself !

2. If u return back to M/East, after leaving your family behind, in Canada, in 2012... rest assured u'd loseyour PR 'status'... there's no 'waiver' to that regulation. DANGER.

3. If u lose it as the PA - there's no danger to the others in your family. As stated above, as long as they continue to reside here for 1095 days - they r good.

4. As u haven't got your Form B4 ["Goods To Follow" List] stamped during your 1st landing in Jul-2009... u'd be 'paying' all duties for the/any items that u bring-in this time. U may feign ignorance - which might get u some respite - if u happen to get thru a considerate BSO.

5. U can carry as much funds as u desire - there's no restrictions to it. And every cent would come in free, w/out attracting any duties/levies/taxes. That $10K rule is 'only' for declaring purposes -- it doesn't stop u from bringing-in more monies. Relax !

6. As long as u do not maintain 'residential ties' with Canada -- u don't have to file-in your Tax Returns - thus, no taxes r accrued on u. Once u start your 'actual' settling-down after Jun-2012 -- u'd then be required to file your tax returns.

Hope that clarified all !

Qorax
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Ps.: Sorry. After posting this msg I got to see that Leon & me were responding concurrently... not that there's any clash of ideas, thankfully both of us opined similarly.

bellevue18

Jul 17, 2009
Hi Qorax or any senior member

I have a query about PR card now. I have landed in Montreal early this week on 15 Aug, and the immigration processed my forms and documents without any problem. However, they did not take my PR card application form, saying that this is online now. As I did not have the address at the point of landing, I informed them that I will provide it online at a later date. On 17 Aug, I log in online and provide an address for them. However, when I try to log in again these 2 days, the system came back blank for my address. Strange right?

My questions are:
1. Is it true now that the PR card application process is online automatically upon our landing?
2. I did not pay any fees for the PR card application. Is this the new procedure without fees?
3. Why is the online CIC system not registering my address update even after so many days?
4. How can I ensure that the PR card application is complete and ok?

Many thanks in advance for your early help...
B

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
bellevue18 said:

I have a query about PR card now. I have landed in Montreal early this week on 15 Aug, and the immigration processed my forms and documents without any problem. However, they did not take my PR card application form, saying that this is online now. As I did not have the address at the point of landing, I informed them that I will provide it online at a later date. On 17 Aug, I log in online and provide an address for them. However, when I try to log in again these 2 days, the system came back blank for my address. Strange right?

My questions are:
1. Is it true now that the PR card application process is online automatically upon our landing?
2. I did not pay any fees for the PR card application. Is this the new procedure without fees?
3. Why is the online CIC system not registering my address update even after so many days?

B
1) It is not process online but process upon your landing
2) The initial card is free. But if you fail to provide address or photo not to spec/fail to submit or pickup in person within 6 months, you would have to pay $50 for a new card.
3 & 4) I would say you phone CIC at the 1-888 toll free number to find out

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
bellevue18 said:

My questions are:

B
Hi,
Here's your answers:

My questions are:
Yes, our 1st PR Card application is done 'online' - but by a BSO, not u. It's done 'automatically' by them as part of your 'record of landing'. PR Card's Application cannot be done 'online' by the end user - and must go in 'paper', for the 1st and all subsequent ones [Steaky is correct] .

Our 1st PR card comes 'free' - actually it has already been paid for - by u - as part of the RPRF. And it is not the new procedure - has been in place since 2002.

You cannot do the PR cards application 'online' by yourself. I've no idea what u r trying to do & where. Probably u r trying to change your e-Cas Address, which won't work after u have 'landed'... that's an immaterial task/step.

U can't - b'coz u haven't applied for the PR cards yet. When u informed the BSO about not having an address [Canadian] - s/he must have given u a form & a Fax No. U r required to flll-up that form, type the Canadian Address clearly, and fax it [to that No.].

As u r yet to file-it... Steaky is correct -- call their Call Centre NOW.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Call Centre services (if you are in Canada only)

The Call Centre can answer questions, in English and French, about Citizenship and Immigration (CIC) services and programs, or applications in process inside Canada, including that of the PR Cards.

Call Centre telephone number: 1-888-242‑2100
Automated telephone service (available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week)

If you have a touch-tone telephone, you can listen to prerecorded information about CIC programs, order application kits, and check the status of your application.

Call Centre agents - Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., your local time, except for statutory holidays.

You must choose one of the first five recorded options before you can speak to an agent.

Note that agents cannot:
- answer questions about application status once it is sent to a Canadian visa office outside Canada,
- make decisions on applications, or
- help process applications more quickly.

If you are deaf or hard of hearing, or you have a speech impediment and use a text telephone, you can access the TTY service from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. your local time by calling 1-888-576‑8502.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope that helped !
Qorax

bellevue18

Jul 17, 2009
qorax said:
Hi,
Here's your answers:

You cannot do the PR cards application 'online' by yourself. I've no idea what u r trying to do & where. Probably u r trying to change your e-Cas Address, which won't work after u have 'landed'... that's an immaterial task/step.

Sorry I was not clear in my explanation. At landing, I told the officer that I do not have an address yet. He then gave me a piece of paper showing the Call Centre no and website address. When I asked if I can log in and do my address notification online, he says yes. That is what I was trying to do - do my address notification online. However, I just realised that after submitting the address, the site responded by indicating that the notification will only be updated within 15 days, due to the volume of traffic, and to check back only after 15 days. Hence is this the reason why I cannot see any address in my address notification on site?

U can't - b'coz u haven't applied for the PR cards yet. When u informed the BSO about not having an address [Canadian] - s/he must have given u a form & a Fax No. U r required to flll-up that form, type the Canadian Address clearly, and fax it [to that No.].

I was not given any forms to fill up or fax back, they inform me to just update my address online as the PR card application is automatic once we land, only that the address need to be completed. Hence, I have no other forms to fill - so is this correct?

Also I checked my online service at CIC and found that the site has confirmed my entry and PR status on date of landing.

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
bellevue18 said:
I was not given any forms to fill up or fax back, they inform me to just update my address online as the PR card application is automatic once we land, only that the address need to be completed. Hence, I have no other forms to fill - so is this correct?

Also I checked my online service at CIC and found that the site has confirmed my entry and PR status on date of landing.

Call the Call Centre NOW.

bellevue18

Jul 17, 2009
steaky said:
Call the CIC call Centre on monday after 8am. (It's still Sunday Aug. 21, 2011! ;D)
Ok noted. will do that first thing Mon. Or maybe I will go down to the Service Canada office to enquire, will that be better?
Tks Steaky and Qorax for your very very prompt assistance.
B

bellevue18

Jul 17, 2009
steaky said:
Call the CIC call Centre on monday after 8am. (It's still Sunday Aug. 21, 2011! ;D)
Hi there Steaky and Qorax
Many thanks for your assistance. I called the Call Centre just now, and they confirmed that the address has been updated into the system, and we will receive our PR cards within 43 business days.
Hurray, alls good.
Many thanks again for your assistance.
B

bugsnette

Oct 20, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
15-09-2011
Hi Qorax,

First of all i would like to thank you for all the help you provide in this forum, we appreciate it a lot. May God bless you always.

My question is, I have booked 2-weeks rent in Safe Home Stay and today, i got a job offer with my company here to transfer in our Branch in Mississauga, how far is the area of Safe Home stay to Commercial Boulevard in Mississauga? Appreciate receiving your response.

Thanks in advance,
Bugsness (Mrs Malik)

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
bugsnette said:
Hi Qorax,

First of all i would like to thank you for all the help you provide in this forum, we appreciate it a lot. May God bless you always.

My question is, I have booked 2-weeks rent in Safe Home Stay and today, i got a job offer with my company here to transfer in our Branch in Mississauga, how far is the area of Safe Home stay to Commercial Boulevard in Mississauga? Appreciate receiving your response.

Thanks in advance,
Bugsness (Mrs Malik)
Actually - quite far.
Having a car helps. Else:
1. Take the subway till Islington [Toronto] > take a MyWay [Mississauga Transit] Bus from there to Square One Mississauga.
2. Go-Train also has a stop nearby - timings r sparse - but during office hrs. Ok.
3. As your stay'd be short in S/H - a better option would be to try & shift to Mississauga asap.

Qorax

bugsnette

Oct 20, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
15-09-2011
Thanks Qorax, I'm trying to cancel my booking then... :D

Mar2900

Aug 12, 2011
SUBSEQUENT LANDING IN CANADA

Dear qorax
VIP Member

Thanks a lot for providing ALL info in a same reach about FIRST LANDING. You are simply great as many of the followers shouts. Many of my questions are answers automatically just remaining still some:-

1. I purposely didn’t take household luggage’s at the first landing (only fulfilled the formalities within time limit). NOW I need to transfer huge amount of items during final shifting. In this case how can I process these personal belongings to transfer from UAE to Toronto without tax/ extra charges (considering 1st full landing), as I didn’t avail this facility on our 1st landing and i don't keep any further reference (that may require) due to my ignorance/ nobody highlighted this item that time to me. Please guide me in this regard...

2. As I know I can carry 10,000X 3-person= 30,000 CAD without declaration to custom. If more than that amount what will be the procedure now- please help me to carry to take more amount as per my requirement without tax. Also, please guide me that my wife can take all of her jewelries and imitations without extra taxes/ charges. your assiatance is required…