+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LANDING IN CANADA ??? -All You Need To Know.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
penpal said:
Hi Qorax ,

How are you and hope things are fine at your end.

I hv a question :
With respect to the primary schooling of my kid who will be going into grade 5 , what is your opinion on the seperate catholic school.I am not a catholic, but if there is a vacancy in the particular school ,how do you compare it with a public school.My interest in the seperate school is because i was told that the quality of the faculty is better as well as the no. of students per class room are few compared to the public school.

Awaiting your reply.

Thnx
If you look at the report issued by Fraser institute of Canada, you would notice some catholic schools scores less than public schools. This would be an indication of the quality of catholic schools in terms of the faculty etc. is not always better than public schools.

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
penpal said:
Hi Qorax ,

How are you and hope things are fine at your end.

I hv a question :
With respect to the primary schooling of my kid who will be going into grade 5 , what is your opinion on the seperate catholic school.I am not a catholic, but if there is a vacancy in the particular school ,how do you compare it with a public school.My interest in the seperate school is because i was told that the quality of the faculty is better as well as the no. of students per class room are few compared to the public school.

Awaiting your reply.

Thnx
If u had read my "School Admission" thread u'd know... there's absolutely no difference between the both.

That 'Teacher-to-Child" ratio is a misnomer... it could happen with any type of school, especially in stuffed-up areas like Thorncliffe, Scarborough etc. - which should be avoided. Otherwise, nearly 70-80% Canadians have gone thru the 'Public Schooling' system.

Qorax

Ps.: HB is right -- u should be a Catholic to join these schools.

penpal

Sep 30, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
0111/1111
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Planning in Autumn of 2010
Thanks to Hassan,Steaky and Qorax.

Rgds

alibhai800

Star Member
Jul 6, 2011
Dubai
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-12-2009
Doc's Request.
12-02-2010
File Transfer...
17-02-2010
Med's Request
15-06-2011 & 23-07-2012
Med's Done....
03-07-2011 & 13-08-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
September 15 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Stamped on October 5 2012, Came back on Oct 15th 2012
LANDED..........
February 2013... InshaAllah
HASSAAN said:
Is immigrant going to Canada from Karachi needs protector of immigrants document at Karachi airport.
Hassan,

I beleive yes. This is something you should be prepared for. You are leaving Khi to become a permanent resident of Canada, when the immigration ask you while departing, you will be required to do the protector. However, I see in other post that Canada1234 replied to you saying it is not, so I am pretty sure he was living in Pakistan as well. This will be answered by someone who was travelling from Pakistan to Canada the first time.

canada_dream100

Jul 30, 2010
Hello Qorax,

I have dropped the plan to travel by my own car for landing process purpose from USA to Canada.
to avoid scenario where officer at POE can suggest/force for importing the car in that visit; Now I have made my mind to use rented car for this visit.... I hope can use rented car without hassles, if drive as per rules.

In that visit, I would acquire status of resident of Canada, would I have any trouble if use my USA DL?

I have plan to move to Canada in 4-8 weeks after my first visit. And would I be able to drive my car in future, if needed, before I move permanently to Canada? or situation would be same when office at POE can force to import the car for any visit? Would I be able to use my USA DL in second visit (before I move there permanently)?

thanks....

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Read this: http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/-t39566.0.html

canada_dream100 said:
Hello Qorax,

I have dropped the plan to travel by my own car for landing process purpose from USA to Canada.
to avoid scenario where officer at POE can suggest/force for importing the car in that visit; Now I have made my mind to use rented car for this visit.... I hope can use rented car without hassles, if drive as per rules.

In that visit, I would acquire status of resident of Canada, would I have any trouble if use my USA DL?

I have plan to move to Canada in 4-8 weeks after my first visit. And would I be able to drive my car in future, if needed, before I move permanently to Canada? or situation would be same when office at POE can force to import the car for any visit? Would I be able to use my USA DL in second visit (before I move there permanently)?

thanks....

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
canada_dream100 said:
Hello Qorax,

1) I have dropped the plan to travel by my own car for landing process purpose from USA to Canada.

2) In that visit, I would acquire status of resident of Canada, would I have any trouble if use my USA DL?

3) I have plan to move to Canada in 4-8 weeks after my first visit. And would I be able to drive my car in future, if needed, before I move permanently to Canada? or situation would be same when office at POE can force to import the car for any visit? Would I be able to use my USA DL in second visit (before I move there permanently)?

thanks....
1. Actually it's a better option, if u aren't Export/Importing your car this time.
2. No issues. U can drive in Canada with your US/DL for certain months, usually 3, in Ontario-2.
3. Ditto as point-1. If u do not EX/IM your car that time, u might face troubles. Ditto for the US/DL as well.
4. Asap u r required to 'swap' your US/DL with a Canadian one. Steaky pointed u correctly.

Qorax

Crillz

Star Member
Jul 19, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01/05/2011 (Refiled due to IO mistake)
File Transfer...
12/05/2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
18/07/2011
VISA ISSUED...
02/08/2011
LANDED..........
04/09/2011
For those who have landed already might be able to offer some insight here. I am going to land tomorrow(family class), going to cross over to burlington, VT for the day and land on the way back. I would have any goods following except for >$100 on me and the clothes on my back! I assume I don't need to present any Goods Accompanying or Goods to follow list.

Am i right in thinking all I need to present is my passport, COPR and CSQ?

Crillz

Star Member
Jul 19, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
File Transfer...
12/05/2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
18/07/2011
VISA ISSUED...
02/08/2011
LANDED..........
04/09/2011
Crillz said:
For those who have landed already might be able to offer some insight here. I am going to land tomorrow(family class), going to cross over to burlington, VT for the day and land on the way back. I would have any goods following except for >$100 on me and the clothes on my back! I assume I don't need to present any Goods Accompanying or Goods to follow list.

Hope someone can give me advice on this. I am Irish so visa waiver program. Do I need to get an ESTA to cross to the border to the US? If yes, I assume my Country of residence is my home country and not Canada (where I have been on a tourist visa for 7 months).

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
Crillz said:

Crillz said:
Hope someone can give me advice on this. I am Irish so visa waiver program. Do I need to get an ESTA to cross to the border to the US? If yes, I assume my Country of residence is my home country and not Canada (where I have been on a tourist visa for 7 months).
1. If u do not have any goods [GAL or GTF] - u do not require to file any list.
2. As I understand, u'd require the ESTA clearance since u r a VWP case. ESTA needs to be applied [& paid] 72 hrs. in advance.

Qorax

Crillz

Star Member
Jul 19, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
File Transfer...
12/05/2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
18/07/2011
VISA ISSUED...
02/08/2011
LANDED..........
04/09/2011
Thanks for the reply qorax. This is what I have discovered in the meantime:

"A: ESTA will only be required for visitors traveling under the VWP to the United States via air or sea carriers. Travelers applying for admission to the United States under the VWP at land border ports of entry will continue to be processed as they are today. Neither Canada nor Mexico are VWP member countries, and so ESTA does not apply to Canadian or Mexican nationals’ travel"

Source: http://www.dhs.gov/xnews/releases/pr_1212501117599.shtm

This leads me to believe that I don't need to do an ESTA. The issue with this is the date - 2008, things change so rapidly I'm not sure I trust this. With the 72 hours they also say this:

"To facilitate the authorization process, DHS recommends that ESTA applications be submitted no less than 72 hours prior to travel. However, applications may be submitted at any time prior to traveling to the United States under the VWP. "

Crillz

Star Member
Jul 19, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
File Transfer...
12/05/2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
18/07/2011
VISA ISSUED...
02/08/2011
LANDED..........
04/09/2011
Okay found this :

"If you are a citizen of a VWP country, and you are traveling by land, you do not have to apply for ESTA. If you are coming to the U.S. by air or sea, you DO have to apply for ESTA. If you are a landed resident of Canada and you are not a citizen of a VWP country, you are required to have a visa, and therefore ESTA does not apply to you."

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1094/kw/esta/session/L3NpZC9EcE91Zm82aw%3D%3D/p/0/c/0

Which was updated June 2011. Just the I-94 at land borders is required. Hopefully that helps other people in the future.

M2C

May 16, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dear Qorax,

We are planning to land next year. We hope you can give us advice on what best. We are a family of 4.

We are presently based in China. We used to live in Dubai. We plan to land and then come back. Because of the children's schooling and because I might not be allowed to take too much time off my work, we can only stay for 2 weeks maximum in Canada. From the posts here, we know the risks.

There are a couple of options we are considering.

1. All 4 of us to land together. Wife and children stay. I go back to my work in China and wait till my wife is able to find a stable job before I go back to Canada.

a. What are the chances that I get asked to re-submit a new photo?
b. What if the children are asked to re-submit a new photo? Do I have to go with them when submitting as I am the principal applicant? Or can my wife just take the children?

2. All 4 of us land together. And then all 4 of us go back to China after 2 weeks stay. We have relatives in Canada who can receive the PR Cards for us.

a. If any one of us or all of us are asked to re-submit new photos, until when are required to do so? Is there a deadline? We are planning to stay in China for another 2 years before we re-enter Canada to settle for good.
b. In getting the travel document that will enable us to re-enter Canada, is it as easy as filling up a form and submitting? Or would there be a lot of hassles?
c. Do you know of anyone who has been denied a travel document? If yes, what were the grounds?
d. When we are ready to go back to Canada to settle for good, do we have to travel all together? Or can I or my wife travel first to look for a stable job, and then the rest of the family follows after a few months?

Sorry for having too many questions. But we would really appreciate all the advice you can give us, as you have done before. Many thanks once again, by the way. May God bless you and your family always...

M2C

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
M2C said:
Dear Qorax,

We are planning to land next year. We hope you can give us advice on what best. We are a family of 4.

We are presently based in China. We used to live in Dubai. We plan to land and then come back. Because of the children's schooling and because I might not be allowed to take too much time off my work, we can only stay for 2 weeks maximum in Canada. From the posts here, we know the risks.

There are a couple of options we are considering.

1. All 4 of us to land together. Wife and children stay. I go back to my work in China and wait till my wife is able to find a stable job before I go back to Canada.

a. What are the chances that I get asked to re-submit a new photo?
b. What if the children are asked to re-submit a new photo? Do I have to go with them when submitting as I am the principal applicant? Or can my wife just take the children?

2. All 4 of us land together. And then all 4 of us go back to China after 2 weeks stay. We have relatives in Canada who can receive the PR Cards for us.

a. If any one of us or all of us are asked to re-submit new photos, until when are required to do so? Is there a deadline? We are planning to stay in China for another 2 years before we re-enter Canada to settle for good.
b. In getting the travel document that will enable us to re-enter Canada, is it as easy as filling up a form and submitting? Or would there be a lot of hassles?
c. Do you know of anyone who has been denied a travel document? If yes, what were the grounds?
d. When we are ready to go back to Canada to settle for good, do we have to travel all together? Or can I or my wife travel first to look for a stable job, and then the rest of the family follows after a few months?

Sorry for having too many questions. But we would really appreciate all the advice you can give us, as you have done before. Many thanks once again, by the way. May God bless you and your family always...

M2C
A. The photo issue can happen with anyone. My take: It usually occurs when the pax isn't residing in Canada.
B. That resubmission of pics letter specifies the deadline, usually 45-60 days.
C. Your spouse/kids can visit the CIC office w/out u [if it's their case].
D. The PRTD isn't much a hassle till u do not fall short of the residency requirement [3yrs/5yrs].
E. Post 'landing' - anyone of u can travel alone to Canada... there's no more a 'PA' thereon anymore.

Qorax

M2C

May 16, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
qorax said:
A. The photo issue can happen with anyone. My take: It usually occurs when the pax isn't residing in Canada.
B. That resubmission of pics letter specifies the deadline, usually 45-60 days.
C. Your spouse/kids can visit the CIC office w/out u [if it's their case].
D. The PRTD isn't much a hassle till u do not fall short of the residency requirement [3yrs/5yrs].
E. Post 'landing' - anyone of u can travel alone to Canada... there's no more a 'PA' thereon anymore.

Qorax
Thank Qorax. I will definitely have a lot more of thinking to do.