+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LANDING IN CANADA ??? -All You Need To Know.

lovepool4u2001

Star Member
Mar 10, 2009
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-03-2009
Doc's Request.
23-02-2010
Nomination.....
02-06-2010
AOR Received.
03-12-2010
File Transfer...
20-04-2011
Med's Request
03-12-2010
Med's Done....
03-01-2011
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
23-06-2011
Hi All,

I am searching for a job since I got my PR in JUNE but still no luck and I have experienced that
preference is given to local candidates vs Out of canada candidate.
I am planning to quit my job here in USA and move to Calgary AB.
Can anybody advise me if this is a right decision. Will being there
will help getting a job.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Since you cannot use the 1-888 number outside Canada, wondered if you can make a 3 Way call (between you, your AB friend and CIC). Here's how:

http://www.wikihow.com/3-Way-Call-a-Person

venkuds said:
Dear All Seniors

This is venkat. I landed in Calgary AB on July 2nd 2011. Everything went very well. I stayed my friends house for week to apply SIN, health card and bank account. Then I returned back to USA. He received SIN and health card. Still yet to receive PR Card. It has been 45days. Now my friend bought new house in calgary and will move next week. I am worried about my PR card. I tried to call 1 888 242-2100 to change the address. But Could not reach them from USA.

Venkat

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
steaky said:
Since you cannot use the 1-888 number outside Canada, wondered if you can make a 3 Way call (between you, your AB friend and CIC). Here's how:

http://www.wikihow.com/3-Way-Call-a-Person
Or from immipedia http://immipedia.ca/CIC_call_centre

Outside Canada

It is possible to reach the CIC call centre from outside Canada via Foreign Affairs Canada:

+1 613 944 4000

qwerbilzak

Star Member
Nov 2, 2010
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-10-2010
AOR Received.
18-11-2010
Med's Request
20-04-2011
Med's Done....
11-05-2011
Passport Req..
06-06-2011
VISA ISSUED...
20-06-2011
LANDED..........
07-12-2011
Quote from: steaky on August 14, 2011, 08:01:23 pm
Yes, here is the difference as stated in the website and publication:

Persons entering Canada to become Permanent Residents without the intention of residing immediately in Canada are not considered Settlers to Canada since they do not have any intention of remaining in Canada at that time, and will live outside Canada for an undetermined period of time. Therefore, under customs legislation, these persons are considered visitors to Canada, even if they are Permanent Residents for immigration purposes.

qwerbilzak said:
Sorry, maybe I'm being stupid, but I don't understand what the difference is for landing purposes.
Is there any difference as far as what one needs to do for landing?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
qwerbilzak said:
Quote from: steaky on August 14, 2011, 08:01:23 pm
Yes, here is the difference as stated in the website and publication:

Persons entering Canada to become Permanent Residents without the intention of residing immediately in Canada are not considered Settlers to Canada since they do not have any intention of remaining in Canada at that time, and will live outside Canada for an undetermined period of time. Therefore, under customs legislation, these persons are considered visitors to Canada, even if they are Permanent Residents for immigration purposes.

Is there any difference as far as what one needs to do for landing?
If you are landing for the 1st time and move to Canada for good, then follow Qorax's suggestion on the 1st page of this thread.

axbycz

Aug 15, 2011
qorax said:
1) If u tell the BSO that u aren't settling now - s/he may not proceed with your PRC application & ask u to file it later, once u return for good.
2) Though u r required to show Cash or DD/TC, many have sailed thru successfully with a bank statement.
3/a) Canada has tax treaties with many nations, especially with the US. Thus, u'd pay only once - either here or there.
3/b) If u don't establish residential ties - u don't file your tax returns.

Qorax
Thanks qorax, I read it in most of the cases, that they hold it. what does it mean by holding my PR. Is it something bad and what if i want to come to canada on vacation(not for residing) after like 6 months when my canada PR visa has expired(expires in Oct 2011), will there be any problem for now or future
suppose i say that im going to settle permanently in BSO and then finish the formalities (SIN etc) and then get back to US, will there be any problem later on when i want to go to canada again just to visit, what kind of questions BSO might ask me
Thanks once again

lovepool4u2001

Star Member
Mar 10, 2009
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-03-2009
Doc's Request.
23-02-2010
Nomination.....
02-06-2010
AOR Received.
03-12-2010
File Transfer...
20-04-2011
Med's Request
03-12-2010
Med's Done....
03-01-2011
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
23-06-2011
Qorax/Any senior,
Would appreciate any feedback on the question below.

lovepool4u2001 said:
Hi All,

I am searching for a job since I got my PR in JUNE but still no luck and I have experienced that
preference is given to local candidates vs Out of canada candidate.
I am planning to quit my job here in USA and move to Calgary AB.
Can anybody advise me if this is a right decision. Will being there
will help getting a job.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

qwerbilzak

Star Member
Nov 2, 2010
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-10-2010
AOR Received.
18-11-2010
Med's Request
20-04-2011
Med's Done....
11-05-2011
Passport Req..
06-06-2011
VISA ISSUED...
20-06-2011
LANDED..........
07-12-2011
steaky said:
If you are landing for the 1st time and move to Canada for good, then follow Qorax's suggestion on the 1st page of this thread.
Right. But what if you're NOT moving to Canada for good, but just landing, planning to move for good a couple years later?. Is the landing process any different than if you were landing and staying for good from the landing date on?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
qwerbilzak said:
Right. But what if you're NOT moving to Canada for good, but just landing, planning to move for good a couple years later?. Is the landing process any different than if you were landing and staying for good from the landing date on?
I received such reply from CBSA:

Information on importing goods for people intending to settle in Canada is accessible from the "Publications" section of the Canada Border Services Agency Web site at the following URL:

Memorandum D2-2-1
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/dm-md/d2/d2-2-1-eng.html

Links to additional information on settling in Canada are accessible from the above-mentioned Web site at the following URL:

Immigrating or Settling in Canada
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/help-aide/topic-sujet/10-eng.html

We also invite you to contact the Border Information Service (BIS) by telephone and speak to an agent directly for additional assistance with your enquiry. You can access the BIS line free of charge throughout Canada by calling 1-800-461-9999. If you are calling from outside Canada, you can access the BIS line by calling 204-983-3500 or 506-636-5064 (long-distance charges will apply).
If you call during regular business hours (8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. local time, Monday to Friday, except holidays), you can speak directly to an agent by pressing "0" at any time.

Thank you for contacting the Canada Border Services Agency.

Internet: www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca
E-mail: cbsa-asfc@canada.gc.ca

Canada Border Services Agency
Ottawa, Ontario
K1A 0L8

Government of Canada | Gouvernement du Canada

Crillz

Star Member
Jul 19, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01/05/2011 (Refiled due to IO mistake)
File Transfer...
12/05/2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
18/07/2011
VISA ISSUED...
02/08/2011
LANDED..........
04/09/2011
I plan on landing in a few weeks (family class) having received my COPR and visa in passport yesterday. I am just preparing forms before doing that and a question came to mind when filling out the Social Insurance Application form. I previously had a SIN number in '08 while on a 1 year working holiday visa in BC. Therefore, I assume I tick in the first section I tick "change of status"? I hope this doesn't mean I have to pay for the SIN card because I am not ticking New Sin Number? Thanks :)

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Crillz said:
I plan on landing in a few weeks (family class) having received my COPR and visa in passport yesterday. I am just preparing forms before doing that and a question came to mind when filling out the Social Insurance Application form. I previously had a SIN number in '08 while on a 1 year working holiday visa in BC. Therefore, I assume I tick in the first section I tick "change of status"? I hope this doesn't mean I have to pay for the SIN card because I am not ticking New Sin Number? Thanks :)
You do need a new SIN number because the one you had was a temporary SIN that started with 9 and now you will get a permanent one. I think you should check change of status too though because it is not your first card and it is not a replacement of the same card. It looks to me that the only case where you'd have to pay is if you are getting a replacement of the same card.

Crillz

Star Member
Jul 19, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
File Transfer...
12/05/2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
18/07/2011
VISA ISSUED...
02/08/2011
LANDED..........
04/09/2011
Leon said:
You do need a new SIN number because the one you had was a temporary SIN that started with 9 and now you will get a permanent one. I think you should check change of status too though because it is not your first card and it is not a replacement of the same card. It looks to me that the only case where you'd have to pay is if you are getting a replacement of the same card.
Thanks. Would it be a problem if I didn't have the physical SIN card with me? I just have the number.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Crillz said:
Thanks. Would it be a problem if I didn't have the physical SIN card with me? I just have the number.
I don't think it is a problem. That old SIN has already expired. I am sure they have records of it.

Crillz

Star Member
Jul 19, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
File Transfer...
12/05/2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
18/07/2011
VISA ISSUED...
02/08/2011
LANDED..........
04/09/2011
Leon said:
I don't think it is a problem. That old SIN has already expired. I am sure they have records of it.
Thank you!

Mar2900

Aug 12, 2011
Subsequent landing in Canada …
My 1st landing with family (me, wife and son) members was in Toronto under skilled migration on July 2009. We are about to pass full (3-years) allowed time outside/ Middle East by next year June. My son is intending higher study from that time, accompanying with his mother, in Canada. I am living in Middle East with family/ service. After settling university admission and accommodation by next year June, i will be back to my current service, as far i don't get suitable job of my standard.

Dear Experts: I read often postings and valuable advices related to Canadian migration and really get benefited in past, without posting a new topic. THANKS for that to all of you, especially to Toby, Suin, Alabaman and Steaky. Now I need some more info that’s I don’t find (may be missed!) for better understanding, although I have sufficient time in hand to spare.
1. On the next occasion, June 2012, I am going to Canada to settle my family members in Toronto to complete the 730 mandatory days before PR card expires BUT what about me that I am still not confident to get a suitable job to leave the Middle Eastern service. In this case how I can protect my PR card status?
2. If my PR card expires under above unavoidable circumstances, what will be the process to renew PR card OR, to visit my family frequently?
3. If my PR card expires as a principal member, what will be the affect to my family member’s PR status?
4. I didn’t take household luggage at the first landing- NOW I need to transfer huge items with my family shifting. Is there any procedure to apply to grant me excessive luggage without tax, considering 1st landing, as I don’t avail this facility that time?
5. As I know I can carry 10,000X 3-person= 30,000 CAD without declaration to custom, right?
6. I had open one bank account-having nominal transaction time to time, paying house rent with utilities bills since first landing, no income in Canada, no income in Home-Country but income from salary/ service in Middle East. Hope- still Canadian Tax will not impose to me; right?