+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

is there a law that need to give 2 weeks notice to your employer before leave?

eunice

Jan 17, 2010
hi is there any law that says to live in caregiver that needs to give 2 weeks notice prior to leave?what if a caregiver wants to move out or break contract without giving notice?becoz there are some employer upon giving notice for termination there are some they will make hard time with the nanny..is it really necessary for caregiver to give notice?or just move out?thank you so much!

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
eunice said:
hi is there any law that says to live in caregiver that needs to give 2 weeks notice prior to leave?what if a caregiver wants to move out or break contract without giving notice?becoz there are some employer upon giving notice for termination there are some they will make hard time with the nanny..is it really necessary for caregiver to give notice?or just move out?thank you so much!
If "breaking the contract" is not stipulated in the contract signed between you and your employer, see the provincial standard about "giving notice". Normally it is a two week notice.

Thinking about quitting?

You will improve your chances of getting another job if you have worked in one job for a considerable period of time. Before quitting your job (unless there are problems of abuse) you should try to solve your work problems by talking about them with your employer. It is reasonable for you and your employer to revise your contract periodically to be sure that it is suitable to both of you. Talk with your employer before taking any action to quit your job. If you decide to quit, give your employer enough notice so that arrangements can be made for your replacement. Check your contract to find out how much notice you have agreed to give your employer. However, you are encouraged to leave a physically abusive situation right away.

eunice

Jan 17, 2010
hi job seeker, what if i am mentally tortured by saying verbally abuse?is that counts?i am having hard time dealing with verbal abuse..what if she doesnt like me to move out quick?she wants me to stay 4 months with her until she got her new nanny?but i cant take that anymore since she might make hard time with me for longer that months?

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
eunice said:
hi job seeker, what if i am mentally tortured by saying verbally abuse?is that counts?i am having hard time dealing with verbal abuse..what if she doesnt like me to move out quick?she wants me to stay 4 months with her until she got her new nanny?but i cant take that anymore since she might make hard time with me for longer that months?
PM me.

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
eunice said:
hi what do u mean PM me?pardon mefor this...have no idea..
Sorry. I logged in to my personal mail box so I could search for the particular mail sent to another member who was threatened by employer with deportation should she leave her employ. I'll send you a personal message written in Filipino. You are Filipino aren't you?

eunice

Jan 17, 2010
yes i am filipina and i really want help and knowledge about this stuff,honestly i am having problem dealing with family..they treat me like a real servant,that even sometimes over time didnt pay enough..i am only scared if i lose or quit this job is it would be fine as i know alot of other employers are good people..sometimes scared me she might deport me for hating me to leave her..but as i read here now no one can deport me as long as i have work permit valid..i really need your help job seeker..thanks for being there

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
eunice said:
yes i am filipina and i really want help and knowledge about this stuff,honestly i am having problem dealing with family..they treat me like a real servant,that even sometimes over time didnt pay enough..i am only scared if i lose or quit this job is it would be fine as i know alot of other employers are good people..sometimes scared me she might deport me for hating me to leave her..but as i read here now no one can deport me as long as i have work permit valid..i really need your help job seeker..thanks for being there
Sent you a Personal Message (open your inbox).

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
Hi Eunice,

I am posting a thread how one of the members dealt with an oppressive/abusive situation:

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/low-skilled-worker-to-livein-caregiver-t31919.30.html

Read ellejnoc's post.

ellejnoc

Star Member
Mar 15, 2009
hi,gud am to all!and to eunice u can email me n maybe i can help u answer some of ur questions about quitting ur job,ok?tell me ur problem or can send me ur number n i will call u.pm me.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It is advisable to give notice before you quit a job, if only because you might need their references later but if you break a contract, nothing can really be done to you. Are there any stipulations in the contract to what happens if you break it?

I knew some guys who had a 2 year contract with the employer and broke it and quit, some completely without notice. The company tried to bill them for their costs of hiring them, actually that was in their contract that they would be billed for that if they broke it but after they talked to the Alberta employment standards, they found out that it was against the law to make them pay these costs and so they told the company that and refused to pay. The company could not do anything to them.

For more help with this, check http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/faq/work/caregiver-faq02.asp and http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/faq/work/caregiver-faq03.asp

eunice

Jan 17, 2010
HI ,I HAVE TALKED TO MY AGENCY HERE THAT BRINGS ME OVER HERE TO FIND THIS RECENT EMPLOYER OF MINE,SHE TOLD ME THAT I DONT HAVE GRATITUDE WHY I WILL LEAVE THIS FAMILY,THAT I NEED TO WAIT 4 MONTHS FOR SUBSTITUTE TO THIS FAMILY TO HAVE NANNY,YET I CALLED THE SERVICE CANADA TELLING ME THAT THERE IS NO SUCH LAW THAT NEED TO GIVE 4 MONTHS NOTICE ONLY IF U HAVE WRITTEN PIECE OF PAPER THAT U SIGNED ON IT..MY AGENCY ALSO BLAMING ME WHY I CANT TAKE THEM..ITS TOO BAD BECOZ THERE ARE SOEM AGENCIES THEY DONT CARE MUCH ABOUT THE NANNY THEY CARE ABOUT THEIR SELF AND EMPLOYER,EVENTHOUGH NANNY IS REALLY SUFFERING..I FEEL PITTY WITH THE NANNIES LIKE ME,THAT DOESNT KNOW WELL ABOUT THE LAW AND SCARED TO QUIT JOB THATS WHY THEY STICK WITH THEIR EMPLOYER EVEN IF THEY ARE SUFFERING..IS IT MY OBLIGATION TO WAIT THE SUSBTITUTE NANNY FOR THEM TO WORK AND CARE OF THEIR KIDS WHILE WAITING OF THEIR NANNY?YET I WILL BE THE ONE WHO SUFFERS?IS THIS ACCEPTABLE?AS MY AGENCY TOLD ME?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Did you look at the links above where there are links to nanny support agencies and the like? Ask them and call the employment standards in your province and ask them. You can even make an appointment with them and bring your contract and they can tell you if there is anything in your contract that prevents you from leaving. Well, basically nothing will prevent you from leaving but the question is if they can impose some sort of penalty on you if you do.

What will you do if you leave this family? Do you have a place to stay? Another job lined up? If you find another job, you can still not start working until you have an LMO for the new job and your work permit changed to the new employer.

You can also talk to your employer directly and tell them that you can not take their abuse any longer and if things do not get better, you will pack up and go without notice. They may actually try to treat you better if they realize they will otherwise be without a nanny for the next 4 months.

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
Leon said:
Did you look at the links above where there are links to nanny support agencies and the like? Ask them and call the employment standards in your province and ask them. You can even make an appointment with them and bring your contract and they can tell you if there is anything in your contract that prevents you from leaving. Well, basically nothing will prevent you from leaving but the question is if they can impose some sort of penalty on you if you do.
Basically, read what is stipulated in your contract and if there are no penalty clauses indicated when breaking the contract, then you can say goodbye to this situation.