Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
DM 05-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
17-11-2015
LANDED..........
23-11-2015
Well, I finally got my COPR and landed on November 23. I got DM on November 5, and from my notes, I knew my eligibility check was completed on October 30th, so I asked the appeals committee to take another look at my case whilst I waited for my COPR. I just got a response today that I will have OHIP coverage starting on January 30th! It's only 3 weeks earlier, but that makes a huge difference for me, considering I have a 4 cm mass on my lung that really needs attention. I'll have to pay for my CT scan in a couple of weeks, but hopefully, if I need surgery, I'll be covered by then. What a relief to finally have this over with! Thanks for all your help, guys!

Reactions: malimu

stephcy

Star Member
Dec 15, 2014
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
OTTAWA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
AOR Received.
22-10-2015
File Transfer...
04-11-2015
Med's Done....
21-07-2015
Passport Req..
DECISION MADE 07.03.2016 - no passport request
VISA ISSUED...
CoPR 14.03.2016
LANDED..........
19-03-2016
I wish everything goes well for you Panamai

Panamai

Oct 3, 2013
Kingston, Ontario
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
29-01-2015
AOR Received.
28-03-2015
File Transfer...
31-03-2015
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
16-01-2015
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
DM 05-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
17-11-2015
LANDED..........
23-11-2015
stephcy said:
I wish everything goes well for you Panamai
Thank you!

AdeAhmed

Star Member
Sep 24, 2015
Hi all, had a question about how this process works, as I am very much in need of getting my pregnant wife OHIP before our babies delivery. My wife is a US citizen.

We will be submitting our application in the next few weeks.

My question is after how long would I initiate the process outlined in this thread. How long does it actually take for the escalation to the review committee to be processed?

If submitted in mid Feb and my wife is already staying here (and has an Ontario driver's license as some form of proof of residency), what are the odds of having OHIP in place by mid July?

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
AdeAhmed said:
Hi all, had a question about how this process works, as I am very much in need of getting my pregnant wife OHIP before our babies delivery. My wife is a US citizen.

We will be submitting our application in the next few weeks.

My question is after how long would I initiate the process outlined in this thread. How long does it actually take for the escalation to the review committee to be processed?

If submitted in mid Feb and my wife is already staying here (and has an Ontario driver's license as some form of proof of residency), what are the odds of having OHIP in place by mid July?
Unfortunately I would say your chances are slim to none. Remember that the sponsor approval alone takes just over 2 months. So if you submit in mid Feb, it will be around mid April before you get sponsor approval and the app is even sent to the outland visa office (CPC-Ottawa). I would then expect it will be a couple months process to go through the OERC process and be found eligible to apply for OHIP by the outland visa office.

And remember once you are found eligble to apply, she still needs to go through the 3-month OHIP waiting period. The waiting period starts when you become eligible, NOT when you actually established residency in Ontario as a visitor. My wife was living in Canada for 2 years on work and student visas, however after she landed as a PR she still needed to wait 3 months before OHIP kicked in.

So if she plans to have the baby in Ontario, you should be budgeting to pay for everything out of pocket. I would prepare for $10K+ to be safe.
Alternatively if she is able to get a midwife, their services are supposed to be free to those in Ontario even if they don't have OHIP. We used a midwife and had a great experience through everything. With a midwife the majority of her pregnancy checkups will be free, she could opt for a free delivery at home, or a greatly reduced cost for a hospital birth with the midwife (assuming no complications arise). However midwives are in very high demand so if you don't request one as soon as you find you're pregnant, it may be tough to find an available one in your area.

praveensk

Star Member
Jul 26, 2013
Sorry guys, if I am repeating the question !

In my situation, I have applied sponsorship to my son born in India and got approval from CIC (have the letter in PDF format), file is now with NDVO and got visitor visa also approved, is my son eligible for Ontario health card?

I applied from here but my son was in India.

Thank you all !

hpjack

Star Member
Jul 1, 2013
Hi Guys,

I'm applying outland for my wife who is now living with me in Canada, I'm hoping that she can get her OHIP before delivery.
But since she is pregnant she cannot do the medical exam which means we cannot send the upfront medical along with the application.
I suppose she can only do her medical check after baby delivery which means she will not get PR until sometime after the baby delivery.
My question is, will she be found eligible to apply for PR (AFP) even without upfront medical in her application?

thanks guys!

stephcy

Star Member
Dec 15, 2014
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
OTTAWA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
AOR Received.
22-10-2015
File Transfer...
04-11-2015
Med's Done....
21-07-2015
Passport Req..
DECISION MADE 07.03.2016 - no passport request
VISA ISSUED...
CoPR 14.03.2016
LANDED..........
19-03-2016
hpjack said:
Hi Guys,

I'm applying outland for my wife who is now living with me in Canada, I'm hoping that she can get her OHIP before delivery.
But since she is pregnant she cannot do the medical exam which means we cannot send the upfront medical along with the application.
I suppose she can only do her medical check after baby delivery which means she will not get PR until sometime after the baby delivery.
My question is, will she be found eligible to apply for PR (AFP) even without upfront medical in her application?

thanks guys!

Hey hpjack,

I'm a bit confused for the reason why your wife cannot do the upfront medical examination. I think the only test she will not be able to do is the X-RAY but probably they could do something else for her. You can apply without the upfront, but then CIC will request the medical examination before approving your wife. They will give you a deadline until when to submit the results which I think is 40 days. If you don't then your application will be refused or cancelled.

Also for your wife to get the OHIP, CIC must be at the point to approve her, and from what I read she will have to wait another 3 months after her pre-approval... I think is best if you call CIC, or even better call to fix an appointment for the upfront medical examination and ask them what you should do as your wife is pregnant. Maybe the doctor will just do another test or right a note for CIC...

Good luck :)

Canadaideaal

Mar 16, 2015
Ontario
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-05-2015
AOR Received.
20-05-2015
Med's Request
25-04-2015
Med's Done....
08-05-2015
Passport Req..
21-02-2016
VISA ISSUED...
03-03-2016
LANDED..........
07-03-2016
stephcy said:
Hey hpjack,

I'm a bit confused for the reason why your wife cannot do the upfront medical examination. I think the only test she will not be able to do is the X-RAY but probably they could do something else for her. You can apply without the upfront, but then CIC will request the medical examination before approving your wife. They will give you a deadline until when to submit the results which I think is 40 days. If you don't then your application will be refused or cancelled.

Also for your wife to get the OHIP, CIC must be at the point to approve her, and from what I read she will have to wait another 3 months after her pre-approval... I think is best if you call CIC, or even better call to fix an appointment for the upfront medical examination and ask them what you should do as your wife is pregnant. Maybe the doctor will just do another test or right a note for CIC...

Good luck :)
Getting OHIP is not so simple as it look like.
First of all, CIC does not give you a health card, this is another office.
( I am in Ontario, So here it's service Ontario).
You have to showw your permits, either your workpermit or your COPR ( confirmation of permanent residence).
You have to do your landing before you can fill any paper at the health care office.!!

At the office you need:
Passport.
COPR.
Proof of adress.
Healt card is turning valid 3 months after landing !!.

When you aply for health card right after landing, the card will b valid 3 months later.
But be carefull here: when you go to the office after 3 months (because you know you have 3 months waiting time) you have to show that you where all the time in the country.
Then you need paperwork like work contract,
Bank statements.
Some invoice with your name and adress, for the entire 3 months period.

I should advise: go and aply right after landing, that's the most easy way.

This all is the same to all of you: even when you are inside or outside Canada.

The only exmption is then when you are already in Canada on a valid permit on the day of landing.

suxess.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
hpjack said:
Hi Guys,

thanks guys!
She can do the medical upfront, but get a deferral of just the x-ray portion. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/partner/pp/pdf/IMM5733E.pdf This means though that her app will basically go on-hold at the visa officer while they wait for her delivery date and to complete the medical. I'm not sure how this affects possible AFP status, but I wouldn't count on getting AFP while the medical is incomplete.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Canadaideaal said:
Getting OHIP is not so simple as it look like.
First of all, CIC does not give you a health card, this is another office.
( I am in Ontario, So here it's service Ontario).
You have to showw your permits, either your workpermit or your COPR ( confirmation of permanent residence).
You have to do your landing before you can fill any paper at the health care office.!!

At the office you need:
Passport.
COPR.
Proof of adress.
Healt card is turning valid 3 months after landing !!.

When you aply for health card right after landing, the card will b valid 3 months later.
But be carefull here: when you go to the office after 3 months (because you know you have 3 months waiting time) you have to show that you where all the time in the country.
Then you need paperwork like work contract,
Bank statements.
Some invoice with your name and adress, for the entire 3 months period.

I should advise: go and aply right after landing, that's the most easy way.

This all is the same to all of you: even when you are inside or outside Canada.

The only exmption is then when you are already in Canada on a valid permit on the day of landing.
This is all wrong, as this thread is all about getting OHIP while your outland app is in process and before you land as a PR. Read the first page.

Also all you need to get OHIP when you apply is one of the proof of residency documents as specifically stated on their website.

Canadaideaal

Mar 16, 2015
Ontario
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-05-2015
AOR Received.
20-05-2015
Med's Request
25-04-2015
Med's Done....
08-05-2015
Passport Req..
21-02-2016
VISA ISSUED...
03-03-2016
LANDED..........
07-03-2016
Yes, your okay, but thee first post was 6 years ago.
In the meanwhile there changed a lot.
I only replied because anybody else had these questions in this thread.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Canadaideaal said:
Yes, your okay, but thee first post was 6 years ago.
In the meanwhile there changed a lot.
I only replied because anybody else had these questions in this thread.
No, nothing much has changed. You can still get OHIP before you land as a PR if you are living in Canada and have an outland app in process. And you only need a document from the list they provide to prove your residency: http://www.forms.ssb.gov.on.ca/mbs/ssb/forms/ssbforms.nsf/GetFileAttach/014-9998E-82~1/$File/9998-82E.pdf

Canadaideaal

Mar 16, 2015
Ontario
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-05-2015
AOR Received.
20-05-2015
Med's Request
25-04-2015
Med's Done....
08-05-2015
Passport Req..
21-02-2016
VISA ISSUED...
03-03-2016
LANDED..........
07-03-2016
Yes that's all fine.
I can see you are a landed imigrant, so you have the experience.
But after Express entry came in january 2015, nobody will get a confimation that you are eligible for the stream you aply for, because CIC will give you all ansers at once, on the end of the appication.
Even when you get a positive answer, and get your permanent residence, you have to wait 3 months before Ohip is valid.
The simple reason is that nobody can show the letter of eligibility, because this is not given by CIC.

For Ohip you have to show your PR confirmation AND the letter of eligibility. In the old system there was such a letter, but not anymore in EE.
That's the difference.

I had all these discussions at the OHIP office last week, and printed out all the regulations, but it didn't help at all.
We have to wait 3 months.
So simple is it.

Rorosgurl

Jan 5, 2014
london ontario
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
October 12th 2013
AOR Received.
October 17th 2013
File Transfer...
December 2nd 2013
Med's Done....
September 6th 2013
Canadaideaal said:
Yes that's all fine.
I can see you are a landed imigrant, so you have the experience.
But after Express entry came in january 2015, nobody will get a confimation that you are eligible for the stream you aply for, because CIC will give you all ansers at once, on the end of the appication.
Even when you get a positive answer, and get your permanent residence, you have to wait 3 months before Ohip is valid.
The simple reason is that nobody can show the letter of eligibility, because this is not given by CIC.

For Ohip you have to show your PR confirmation AND the letter of eligibility. In the old system there was such a letter, but not anymore in EE.
That's the difference.

I had all these discussions at the OHIP office last week, and printed out all the regulations, but it didn't help at all.
We have to wait 3 months.
So simple is it.

Not true at all. I am a Landed immigrant. I landed and I had to wait 3 months for my Ohip and during that time I was pregnant and due in 2 months. So I ended up giving birth to my son and $10000 hospital fee in 2014. I contacted the board committee jan 2016 and they are contacting CIC to check to see if I was eligible earlier. Which I am 80% sure I was. A nice lady called me and asked me for prove that i was here during that time and I sent her all the documents. She told me to wait another week or two.

I can't wait for to get the answer. It's worth a try.