+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Important OHIP eligibility info for all PR applicants residing in Ontario

uzairkhan31

Jan 4, 2016
We sponsored my grandmother and she just got her COPR and visa in her passport yesterday. She was actually here already in Ontario on a Super Visa. We haven't done her landing yet, but we assumed we could still apply with the COPR. We also took her Super visa insurance policy as proof of address. We went to the OHIP office today with those documents and they said no to both documents. They said they want her to land first and they apparently wouldn't take the Super Visa insurance document as proof of address. This didn't seem correct. Any suggestions on how to handle this?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
She was rightly refused. She needs to land and become a PR before she can apply.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
But the requirements state that you can show your COPR or even a letter for those who applied. Technically she applied, and has got her COPR so doesn't she become eligible as per the date the COPR is issued?

Document list: https://www.ontario.ca/page/documents-needed-get-health-card
She hasnt even landed yet so until she actually lands she is not a PR . I agree the guidelines in the link seem vague but no point trying to argue with Service Canada although sometimes can just be the person you are faced with so just do the landing..

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
But the requirements state that you can show your COPR or even a letter for those who applied. Technically she applied, and has got her COPR so doesn't she become eligible as per the date the COPR is issued?

Document list: https://www.ontario.ca/page/documents-needed-get-health-card
No, the COPR is not activated yet. She needs to do her PR landing and CBSA will sign and stamp the COPR, then it becomes a legal document to prove PR status. So she must "land" first.

Also for proof of Ontario residency, they will ONLY accept proofs from the specifc "list 2" here: http://www.forms.ssb.gov.on.ca/mbs/ssb/forms/ssbforms.nsf/GetFileAttach/014-9998E-82~5/$File/9998-82E.pdf
Only the following insurance docs are allowable: Insurance policy (home, tenant, auto or life)
Since travel medical insurance is not on the list, it can't be used as proof of residence.

Anyways there's no rush to apply for OHIP. She will need to wait 3 months (from doing official landing), so she can take time to get a required doc proving residence, go to Service Ontario just before the 3 months is up and get OHIP number on the spot. No advantage at all to applying early.

uzairkhan31

Jan 4, 2016
No, the COPR is not activated yet. She needs to do her PR landing and CBSA will sign and stamp the COPR, then it becomes a legal document to prove PR status. So she must "land" first.

Also for proof of Ontario residency, they will ONLY accept proofs from the specifc "list 2" here: http://www.forms.ssb.gov.on.ca/mbs/ssb/forms/ssbforms.nsf/GetFileAttach/014-9998E-82~5/$File/9998-82E.pdf
Only the following insurance docs are allowable: Insurance policy (home, tenant, auto or life)
Since travel medical insurance is not on the list, it can't be used as proof of residence.

Anyways there's no rush to apply for OHIP. She will need to wait 3 months (from doing official landing), so she can take time to get a required doc proving residence, go to Service Ontario just before the 3 months is up and get OHIP number on the spot. No advantage at all to applying early.

Will the three months be from date of landing or date or PR issued (date of the visa issue)? She has been here since Feb 2016 on a Super Visa already.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Will the three months be from date of landing or date or PR issued (date of the visa issue)? She has been here since Feb 2016 on a Super Visa already.
3 months from date of PR landing.

vbmmm

Jul 6, 2017
Can someone confirm if Express Entry CEC inland applicants are eligible for OHIP? I had a health card before but it expired in December of last year and I stayed in Canada as a student so I wasn't covered by OHIP anymore. I got my invitation and was found eligible in December of last year and received my AOR in March. I called Service Ontario and they weren't able to answer me.

SeineToHumber

Star Member
Aug 25, 2017
Thank you very much to everyone in this thread.

If anyone wants to review cases that went to the Health Services Appeal and Review Board regarding permanent residents and coverage, here are a couple searches to do on canlii:
https://www.canlii.org/en/#search/text="health services appeal and review board" "permanent resident" "meets the eligibility requirements to apply for permanent residency in Canada"

https://www.canlii.org/en/#search/text="health services appeal and review board" "permanent resident"

Keep in mind, these are only cases where people weren't happy with the OHIP Eligibility Review Board decision, but it provides lots of insight into the procedure well documented here. It's mostly cases of people trying to get the 3-month wait waived (without success).

So, do we have any new ways of finding out/estimating when Eligibility to Apply for PR has been reached?
A lot of... low-risk?... outland applicants are being processed within Canada in Mississauga (we've received AOR2s regarding this, instead of a note saying which overseas VO would be processing our apps). This is a new procedure under Operation Bulletin 570, which doesn't seem to be public.

I've requested a copy of OB570 under Access to Information Act, but would anyone know if this status implies eligibility to apply for PR?

Secondly, the eligibility to apply for PR must be documented somewhere. If it's not in GCMS, how the heck do I get a copy of where it's documented under Privacy Act or ATI?

Last edited:

qwert97

Sep 14, 2017
I am new to this forum and I accidentally discovered this thread.

Anyway the situation is that my friend is an American citizen and has a PR status. She is living in Ontario and she submitted her application for PR for her dependent children (both minors) who have been living with her since early 2016 and going to school in Ontario. She applied almost 2 months ago for PR and her kids . She have already been assigned UCI and File number for both kids and she has been already been asked to do medical for kids by IRCC, which she did. The emedical file has been uploaded to IRCC. She has also received a letter from IRCC that she is eligible to sponsor.She is an inland applicant.

I have read the entire thread and the question is - at what time do the kids become eligible for OHIP? Will they get a separate letter from IRCC that they are eligible or is the parents eligibility to sponsor enough? The earlier she can get OHIP the better it is.

SeineToHumber

Star Member
Aug 25, 2017
Can anyone upload a copy of the CIC consent form the OERB sends out? Assuming it has no personal info on it. Would speed things up a little bit if we just included it with our appeal instead of waiting for OERB to send/receive the consent form.

Anyway the situation is that my friend is an American citizen and has a PR status. She is living in Ontario and she submitted her application for PR for her dependent children (both minors) who have been living with her since early 2016 and going to school in Ontario. She applied almost 2 months ago for PR and her kids . She have already been assigned UCI and File number for both kids and she has been already been asked to do medical for kids by IRCC, which she did. The emedical file has been uploaded to IRCC. She has also received a letter from IRCC that she is eligible to sponsor.She is an inland applicant.

I have read the entire thread and the question is - at what time do the kids become eligible for OHIP? Will they get a separate letter from IRCC that they are eligible or is the parents eligibility to sponsor enough? The earlier she can get OHIP the better it is.
They won't get a separate letter from IRCC. It's different than the parents' eligibility to sponsor. It seems like only OERB can find out if CIC has determined that applicants are eligible to apply for PR. What status do the kids have in Canada now?

qwert97

Sep 14, 2017
Can anyone upload a copy of the CIC consent form the OERB sends out? Assuming it has no personal info on it. Would speed things up a little bit if we just included it with our appeal instead of waiting for OERB to send/receive the consent form.

They won't get a separate letter from IRCC. It's different than the parents' eligibility to sponsor. It seems like only OERB can find out if CIC has determined that applicants are eligible to apply for PR. What status do the kids have in Canada now?
The kids are on visit visa. Since they are born in US and have US passport, they can enter the country easily.

sej2014

Mar 1, 2016
Ive been here since march 2016. my husband and i applied for inland petition august 2016 and I landed today. after our landing interview we then went to get sin and applied for health card since it was not far from cic office. we had no problem getting SIN but we had a not so good experience with the person in service ontario who was taking my health card app. I'm wondering if there is a 90 Day waiting after landing before applying for health card? the paper the person gave me says im eligible for coverage on december 2017 and have to wait for 2 months after getting the actual card? does that mean my application for health card wont get process until 90 days (december)? and wont be receiving a card after 2 months? but will have the coverage?

just a little confuse because ive been here since 2016 and from what i read from the site
"
a) If you move to Ontario from another country:
The waiting period begins on the date you establish or re-establish residence in Ontario. "

and since ive been living here in 2016 is there sill a waiting period?

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Ive been here since march 2016. my husband and i applied for inland petition august 2016 and I landed today. after our landing interview we then went to get sin and applied for health card since it was not far from cic office. we had no problem getting SIN but we had a not so good experience with the person in service ontario who was taking my health card app. I'm wondering if there is a 90 Day waiting after landing before applying for health card? the paper the person gave me says im eligible for coverage on december 2017 and have to wait for 2 months after getting the actual card? does that mean my application for health card wont get process until 90 days (december)? and wont be receiving a card after 2 months? but will have the coverage?

just a little confuse because ive been here since 2016 and from what i read from the site
"
a) If you move to Ontario from another country:
The waiting period begins on the date you establish or re-establish residence in Ontario. "

and since ive been living here in 2016 is there sill a waiting period?
If you weren't eligible for OHIP coverage before, then the 90 day waiting period would have started on the day you landed as a PR. Time you were in Ontario while not being eligible for OHIP, would not count as establishing residency here.

qwert97

Sep 14, 2017

Can anyone suggest the timelines? the kids are on visit visa. Should I give it a couple of months before contacting OERB?