London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
sazamizi said:
What's wrong with you man !? You are stopping by any post and make people discouraged!
You prefer unfounded optimism? I prefer real life... If this Bill gets stopped in the Supreme Court before it gets passed by Parliament, I'll apologise. Until then....

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
turboracer said:
So seems it passed today even in the HOC
Yes - it's moving on to the next stage.

Once it hits the Senate it will be passed. The Canadian Senate is useless (this is a general comment on the Senate - not specific to this bill). I wish we could permanently do away with the Senate and spend that money on something else each year...

turboracer

Jul 20, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
scylla said:
Yes - it's moving on to the next stage.

Once it hits the Senate it will be passed. The Canadian Senate is useless (this is a general comment on the Senate - not specific to this bill). I wish we could permanently do away with the Senate and spend that money on something else each year...
That is true it is useless and you are right about the spending money part absolutely correct

turboracer

Jul 20, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Folks serious it has passed the House of Commons is not there any lawyer in this forum who would like to do something about it the petition of 30000 people, was just thrown away as nothing as a comment in House of Commons

Is not there any person who would like to do a lawsuit I would say the people who are reading this topic throw your knowledge and lets act no point of being scared as some one said filing on the court will at least slower it down here i state it again :

OTTAWA2014

Ratings: +0
[Good] [Poor]

Re: File a petition in the Crown Court or Supreme Court to delay the Bill C24
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2014, 01:22:17 pm »
Reply with quoteQuote
If there is anything in the bill which is unconstitutional or against citizenship rights, it can be challenge in the court. It can be challenge and one can get the stay order till the hearing. It will delay the process, and if the lawyer has strong arguments and it can be instructed by the courts to make amendments. It does not necessarily mean that courts are making the law. It is also the responsibility of the supreme court to ensure that nothing against the constitution shall become the part of any immigration law.

Now folks if there is any lawyer reading this blog or any friend you have throw the idea we are with you we will form up something and lets do something about it

turboracer

Jul 20, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
These are the stages of the legislative process and now we are at #4 which is the report stage and going very soon to #5:

1. First reading: This stage is a mere formality.

2. Second reading: As in the UK, the stage involves a debate on the general principles of the bill and is followed by a vote. Again, the second reading of a government bill is usually approved. A defeat for a Government bill on this reading signifies a major loss. If the bill is read a second time, then it progresses to the committee stage.

3. Committee stage: This usually takes place in a standing committee of the Commons or Senate.
o Standing committee: The standing committee is a permanent one; each committee deals with bills in specific subject areas. Canada's standing committees are similar to the UK's select committees.
o Special committee: A committee established for a particular purpose, be it the examination of a bill or a particular issue.
o Legislative committee: Similar to a special committee in that it is established for the consideration of a particular bill. The chairmanship is determined by the Speaker, rather than elected by the members of the committee. Not used in the Senate.
o Committee of the Whole: The whole house sits as a committee in the House of Commons or Senate. Most often used to consider appropriation bills, but can be used to consider any bill.
The committee considers each clause of the bill, and may make amendments to it. Significant amendments may be made at committee stage. In some cases, whole groups of clauses are inserted or removed. However, if the Government holds a majority, almost all the amendments which are agreed to in committee will have been tabled by the Government to correct deficiencies in the bill or to enact changes to policy made since the bill was introduced (or, in some cases, to import material which was not ready when the bill was presented).

4.Report stage: this takes place on the floor of the appropriate chamber, and allows the House or Senate to approve amendments made in committee, or to propose new ones.

5.Third reading: A debate on the final text of the bill, as amended.

6.Passage: The bill is then sent to the other House (to the Senate, if it originated in the House of Commons; to the Commons, if it is a Senate bill), where it will face a virtually identical process. If the other House amends the bill, the bill and amendments are sent back to the original House for a further stage.

7.Consideration of Senate/Commons amendments: The House in which the bill originated considers the amendments made in the other House. It may agree to them, amend them, propose other amendments in lieu or reject them. If each House insists on disagreeing with the other, the Bill is lost.

8.Disagreement between the Houses: There is no specific procedure under which the Senate's disagreement can be overruled by the Commons. The Senate's rejection is absolute.
The debate on each stage is actually debate on a specific motion. For the first reading, there is no debate. For the second reading, the motion is "That this bill be now read a second time and be referred to [name of committee]" and for third reading "That this bill be now read a third time and pass." In the Committee stage, each clause is called and motions for amendments to these clauses, or that the clause stand part of the bill are made. In the Report stage, the debate is on the motions for specific amendments.
Once a bill has passed both Houses in an identical form, it receives final, formal examination by the Governor General, who gives it the Royal Assent. Although the Governor General can refuse to assent a bill or reserve the bill for the Queen at this stage, this power has never been exercised.
Bills being reviewed by Parliament are assigned numbers: 2 to 200 for government bills, 201 to 1000 for private member's bills, and 1001 up for private bills. They are preceded by C- if they originate in the House of Commons, or S- if they originate in the Senate. For example, Bill C-250 was a private member's bill introduced in the House. Bills C-1 and S-1 are pro forma bills, and are introduced at the beginning of each session in order to assert the right of each Chamber to manage its own affairs. They are introduced and read a first time, and then are dropped from the Order Paper.

polarbear

Sep 17, 2012
turboracer said:
Folks serious it has passed the House of Commons is not there any lawyer in this forum who would like to do something about it the petition of 30000 people, was just thrown away as nothing as a comment in House of Commons

Is not there any person who would like to do a lawsuit I would say the people who are reading this topic throw your knowledge and lets act no point of being scared as some one said filing on the court will at least slower it down here i state it again :

OTTAWA2014

[Good] [Poor]

Reply with quoteQuote
If there is anything in the bill which is unconstitutional or against citizenship rights, it can be challenge in the court. It can be challenge and one can get the stay order till the hearing. It will delay the process, and if the lawyer has strong arguments and it can be instructed by the courts to make amendments. It does not necessarily mean that courts are making the law. It is also the responsibility of the supreme court to ensure that nothing against the constitution shall become the part of any immigration law.

Now folks if there is any lawyer reading this blog or any friend you have throw the idea we are with you we will form up something and lets do something about it
I am afraid it is too late my friend.
Conservatives are majority in the Senate.
:-X

txboyscout

Jun 9, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
03-08-2011
We are at step 4 in the process....I believe the HOC may pass the bill this week or early next week at the latest and then on to the Senate (which sits until June 27)....I am not sure if 2-3 weeks if enough time for the Senate to pass the bill

txboyscout

Jun 9, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
03-08-2011
turboracer said:

OTTAWA2014

[Good] [Poor]

Reply with quoteQuote

On what basis would you challenge something this is not even law yet!?

turboracer

Jul 20, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
txboyscout said:
On what basis would you challenge something this is not even law yet!?

Friend we won't challenge something but just wondering if we could slower the pace down at least seems it will be law with 3 weeks lot of people speculating

YorkFactory

Oct 18, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Seriously, I'm not sure what you think you can accomplish. There's no court in Canada called the Crown Court, there's nothing the judiciary can do to stop Parliament doing Parliament's work, and it's incredibly likely that you even have standing to sue until after you've been affected by the new law.

You can't sue to stop a law that hasn't received royal assent yet and therefore cannot possibly have affected you.

turboracer

Jul 20, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
YorkFactory said:
Seriously, I'm not sure what you think you can accomplish. There's no court in Canada called the Crown Court, there's nothing the judiciary can do to stop Parliament doing Parliament's work, and it's incredibly likely that you even have standing to sue until after you've been affected by the new law.

You can't sue to stop a law that hasn't received royal assent yet and therefore cannot possibly have affected you.
Yea you are right after the law gets passed then if we get united action can be taken

Well a gentleman said this :

OTTAWA2014

[Good] [Poor]

Reply with quoteQuote

So that is from where i said

hobbes

Star Member
Mar 20, 2008
turboracer said:
Yea you are right after the law gets passed then if we get united action can be taken
Yes, after the law is passed, you can challenge some of its clauses - like the powers of the minister to strip citizenships. However, the one that concerns you most - the 4 year physical presence requirement is here to stay.