+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

extending stay Please HELP!!

valkyrie79

Star Member
May 7, 2013
hi, I need urgent help please! my partner wants to extend his stay.His visa expires Sept 12th...to make a long story short we were supposed to get married the end of july but circumstances changed that:(We are definitely getting married at the end of this monthbut now the issue at hand is we do not have enough time to get married,get marriage certificate and send it off with extending stay as a visitor!:(we would now like to ask CIC could they grant enough time to establish common law status and PR process.Can I send a fee receipt to show PR is payed for a long with extension application and fee ? I will also enclose a letter from myself and a letter from my employer showing that I'm working and can provide for my partner.My mother is also writing a letter to show she will support him as well if need be.Do you think this will be ok? I just want my partner to stay with me and we want to do it all the right way! please advise on what we should do ..thank you

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
yes, extension are granted when people mention pr applications and plans to get married. i would suggest also including any receipts for payments for the wedding, if you happen to be doing a rception somewhere. ask for 12 months. for PR applicants, it's rarely denied. show them any proof you have about intentions to apply, and supporting doucments about your financial means. if you are getting married, there is no need to ask for time to establish commonlaw, as it won't matter any more. pick 1: either your plans to get married OR plans to establish commonlaw. it can not be both, as you can not apply for both types of PR.

valkyrie79

Star Member
May 7, 2013
thank you for responding:) so it would be safe to ask for time to get married and to please let my partner stay with me during the PR process? I want to be completely honest with CIC .I would like to think honesty is the best policy for this situation.So we can send his visa extension/fee as well as fee receipt for PR which is 650$?.do I send them together or separate?

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
yes, it is a perfectly acceptable reason for asking for an extension, and it is used regularly. i do not know why your fee is $650. th sponsorship fee is $75, the application fee is $475, and the final RPRF is $490. Total fee cost for 1 person is $1040. $650 does not make sense.

valkyrie79

Star Member
May 7, 2013
hi,the extension is 100 and the pr fee is 550 as I thought? so can you please explain to me what I have to send in? and what fee receipts do I need?sorry I'm a bit confused.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
valkyrie79 said:
hi,the extension is 100 and the pr fee is 550 as I thought? so can you please explain to me what I have to send in? and what fee receipts do I need?sorry I'm a bit confused.
Don't lump them together as $650. They are two entirely separate applications, so pay the extension fee separately from the PR fees.

PR fees:

Sponsorship application $75
Principal applicant fee $475
Right of Permanent Residence Fee $490

Total $1040

You can choose to pay only the first 2 upfront and wait for CIC to request the RPRF. However, not paying the RPRF upfront will delay your app when CIC needs to request it and wait for the payment, so it's advised to pay the full amount upfront.

valkyrie79

Star Member
May 7, 2013
hi, So when I send extension of stay application/fee I can send pr fee receipts as well with it? I can't pay online as I have to pay my fees through my bank? also I understand its best to send application 30 days before visa expiration..is this imperative or is it possible I could wait another week?

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
valkyrie79 said:
hi, So when I send extension of stay application/fee I can send pr fee receipts as well with it? I can't pay online as I have to pay my fees through my bank?
yes, send the PR receipts as supporting documentation for your appliction. i belive you can only upload 1 document, so you will need to combine all supporting docs into 1 pdf. do you mean you are unable to pay online or that the fees are not available to be paid online? the fees ARE payable online through a credit card.

valkyrie79 said:
also I understand its best to send application 30 days before visa expiration..is this imperative or is it possible I could wait another week?
that is your call. many people are experiencing longer waits for visa extension currently, so the sooner you get it in, the better.

valkyrie79

Star Member
May 7, 2013
sorry I can't pay online because i don't have a credit card.so I have to bring fee receipts that Cic sent to me in the mail. As of now I only have 1. still waiting on 2 others which hopefully will be in my mail by this week and then I have to bring those to my bank and send them off with extension application.

valkyrie79

Star Member
May 7, 2013
hi, I'm here looking over the extension application as I type. current marital status? would engaged be ok? as we are not common-law or married yet? Then it asks provide the name of current spouse or common-law partner? Do i enter my partners name regardless? Also in details of visit to canada-purpose of visit and indicate how long you plan to stay( from yyyy-mm-dd to yyyy-mm-dd field) Do I enter the time of my partners expired visa to the time he wishes to stay?He is going to ask for 6 months to a year if that is ok in order to get documents ready to apply for PR of course. also what exactly should I state as I'm really nervous about saying we are getting married very soon.I have seen on other boards that its a huge mistake to state you are getting married etc?:s but that is the truth so I'm sorry I'm just a bit conflicted on what to say on the form..Has anyone on the forum successfully extended by saying they were in the process of getting married and applying for PR ASAP? thanks again

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
valkyrie79 said:
current marital status? would engaged be ok? as we are not common-law or married yet?
The correct choice is single. Engaged is not even given as an option in the app, as it isn't a legally recognized marital status.

valkyrie79 said:
Then it asks provide the name of current spouse or common-law partner? Do i enter my partners name regardless?
No, as you are not yet common-law or married.

valkyrie79 said:
Also in details of visit to canada-purpose of visit and indicate how long you plan to stay( from yyyy-mm-dd to yyyy-mm-dd field) Do I enter the time of my partners expired visa to the time he wishes to stay?
Yes, that's fine.

valkyrie79 said:
Has anyone on the forum successfully extended by saying they were in the process of getting married and applying for PR ASAP? thanks again
Yes, many have successfully done this. It is a perfectly acceptable reason and provided you can show sufficient funds for the extended stay, there should be no issue.

valkyrie79

Star Member
May 7, 2013
Thanks canuck,also do I send PR receipts separately from the extension? and what exactly should I state on the details of visiting Canada and why my partner wants to extend his stay.I know its for marriage and to give us time to get PR documents sorted but I just need some tips on how I should word it properly..and as far as showing sufficient funds.I will be providing for him,My mother and my aunt will state an undertaking as well.I should also mention we have a joint bank account together.wE also have our own family home as well that my nan had left to us before she passed. I'm not sure if that will matter but perhaps I should state that as well?thanks so much for your advise and patience

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
valkyrie79 said:
Thanks canuck,also do I send PR receipts separately from the extension? and what exactly should I state on the details of visiting Canada and why my partner wants to extend his stay.I know its for marriage and to give us time to get PR documents sorted but I just need some tips on how I should word it properly..and as far as showing sufficient funds.I will be providing for him,My mother and my aunt will state an undertaking as well.I should also mention we have a joint bank account together.wE also have our own family home as well that my nan had left to us before she passed. I'm not sure if that will matter but perhaps I should state that as well?thanks so much for your advise and patience
Include copies of the PR fee receipts with the extension app, as proof of your intentions. Just state something like "My Canadian partner and I are getting married, after which we will be applying for spousal sponsorship. We have already paid the spousal sponsorship fees (receipts are included)." It doesn't have to be long or fancy, just straight to the point.

Include a letter stating that you will support him, along with a few of your pay slips or bank statements if you have savings. If you don't pay rent, mention that in your letter. Include the letters from your mother an aunt offering financial support.

valkyrie79

Star Member
May 7, 2013
thanks so much, a few more questions concerning the document checklist page.Do i attach that with the rest of the application or just the documents? also i'm still waiting for 3 fee receipts in the mail so i can pay 1040 and get copies of the receipts to send off with extension application.will my bank give me copies of these fee receipts or do I have to get copies myself? sorry for all the questions just don't want to mess up anything:s and most importantly i'll be almost a week late sending everything.I hope this won't be a disaster.I was supposed to send everything today but my receipts have not arrived in the mail yet:( Today was the 30 day mark.Do you think I will be ok if i send everything by Monday at the latest?I'm sending by courier mail..I don't have much choice in the matter now but hopefully it won't be too late..

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Yes, include the checklist.

Photocopy the receipts.

30 days is not a rule. The extension app can be sent up to the day before his current status expires.