+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CPP-Ottawa

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Line said:
Great. thanks. I will look into this and get this done. My hubby is from the State of New york.
Consider calling the DriveTest centre you'll be going to to check if they actually need it (416-325-8580 and press 2). I suspect they won't need the driving history printout - it's only necessary if ON can't verify it online.

Line

Star Member
Oct 23, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-07-2012
AOR Received.
sponsorship approved november 8, 2012
Med's Done....
15-05-2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
never requested
VISA ISSUED...
March 28,2013
LANDED..........
April 14, 2013
OhCanadiana said:
Consider calling the DriveTest centre you'll be going to to check if they actually need it (416-325-8580 and press 2). I suspect they won't need the driving history printout - it's only necessary if ON can't verify it online.
I will certainly do that. What about for insurance purposes? Once he imports his vehicle over here, will the insurance company want his driving record to know how to assess him as a driver? I was thinking that this may influence how much insurance he will be paying. any advice is much appreciated.

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY --> Los Angeles, CA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
Line said:
I will certainly do that. What about for insurance purposes? Once he imports his vehicle over here, will the insurance company want his driving record to know how to assess him as a driver? I was thinking that this may influence how much insurance he will be paying. any advice is much appreciated.
They will want his insurance company to show that he's had no accidents. So a report from his former insurance company is asked.

And yes call Drive Test, but they will more than likely say "it will have to be more than 2 years on the MVR" If your husband has renewed his DL recently (like mine did, 2011) then you will need a letter as well. They told us they cannot get any USA information on their systems at all without "proof"

Line

Star Member
Oct 23, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-07-2012
AOR Received.
sponsorship approved november 8, 2012
Med's Done....
15-05-2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
never requested
VISA ISSUED...
March 28,2013
LANDED..........
April 14, 2013
parker24 said:
They will want his insurance company to show that he's had no accidents. So a report from his former insurance company is asked.

And yes call Drive Test, but they will more than likely say "it will have to be more than 2 years on the MVR" If your husband has renewed his DL recently (like mine did, 2011) then you will need a letter as well. They told us they cannot get any USA information on their systems at all without "proof"
OhCanadiana said:
I just called them for the Driver's licence. He needs to show that he has at least 2 years experience driving. He can provide his existing driving licence as proof as there is an issue date on it and his was issued May 2009, therefore it shows that he has had it for more than 2 years.

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY --> Los Angeles, CA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
Line said:
I just called them for the Driver's licence. He needs to show that he has at least 2 years experience driving. He can provide his existing driving licence as proof as there is an issue date on it and his was issued May 2009, therefore it shows that he has had it for more than 2 years.
Great! :) Good luck! The good thing is, here in Ontario, the vision test is for both eyes at the same time. Poor hubby in his TN had to have each eye tested individually to get his licence. Cuz y'know, you close one eye to drive :p

JMStargazer

Oct 23, 2012
Toronto, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07/08/2012
AOR Received.
02/09/2012
File Transfer...
04/09/2012
Med's Done....
29/03/2012
Interview........
Waived!
Passport Req..
12/02/2013
VISA ISSUED...
13/03/2013
Got my COPR today! Letter is dated March 7th. We're gonna rent a car and land at the border tomorrow. Best wishes to everyone still waiting, and thanks to everyone who works so tirelessly to track this process.

xbwa

Oct 14, 2012
I received PPR in the afternoon, please update my status accordingly, thank you!

I have a question. I was requested to send my passport to Ottawa (I am not from a visa exempt country, and currently working in US). My TRV will not be expired until 2018. I will have a short trip to Canada at the beginning of April, so will not be able to send my passport until coming back from the trip. Do you think there might be some potential issues when going to Canada this time (I will fly to Canada)?

kfair001

Star Member
Jan 16, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 30, 2012
AOR Received.
October 12, 2012
File Transfer...
October 12, 2012
Med's Done....
June 25, 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
January 29, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
March 25, 2013
LANDED..........
May 27, 2013
parker24 said:
Since I'm from Ontario, I'll explain haha. You need a MVR aka Driving Record that shows you've been driving for at least 2 years. Like CG said, you might need a letter. We didn't need to personally go there, hubby had to send a notarized letter down for his information. You then go to Drive Test near you and say you are exchanging your US licence for an Ontario one. You'll have your vision tested and have to pay $75 dollars for your G and you'll get a permit (temp. Licence) and the card will come in two weeks :)
Thanks so much guys! I love this forum. So helpful!

Midwest

Star Member
Aug 12, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-26-2012
File Transfer...
09-12-2012
Med's Done....
06-04-2012
Passport Req..
02-05-2013
xbwa said:
I received PPR in the afternoon, please update my status accordingly, thank you!

I have a question. I was requested to send my passport to Ottawa (I am not from a visa exempt country, and currently working in US). My TRV will not be expired until 2018. I will have a short trip to Canada at the beginning of April, so will not be able to send my passport until coming back from the trip. Do you think there might be some potential issues when going to Canada this time (I will fly to Canada)?
I was in the same situation but traveled by car. Officer at the border asked me if I am already a Permanent Resident. I told him No, but I received an email that my case has been finalized and I need to send my passport to Ottawa. The officer gave me my passport back and wish me a good day.

kfair001

Star Member
Jan 16, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 30, 2012
AOR Received.
October 12, 2012
File Transfer...
October 12, 2012
Med's Done....
June 25, 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
January 29, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
March 25, 2013
LANDED..........
May 27, 2013
JMStargazer said:
Got my COPR today! Letter is dated March 7th. We're gonna rent a car and land at the border tomorrow. Best wishes to everyone still waiting, and thanks to everyone who works so tirelessly to track this process.
Congrats!!! So excited for you and a little jealous!!! :)

xbwa

Oct 14, 2012
Midwest, thanks for the information, it is very helpful. To be safe, I will bring a copy of PPR email the next time I go to Canada

you or other great consultants might be able to answer another question I have. Is it true that after an immigration visa is issued to me, my TRV is automatcally cancelled? The reason I ask this question is that due to my work, this Octorber might be the best time for me to "land". However, I need to go to Canada several times to visit my wife before that. Let's say if I receive my immigration visa in May, if I go to Canada in June, I will have to do the landing process at that time. After that I need to go back US for my work. My understanding is that after my landing and leaving Canada immediately, to get in the Canada next time, I have to wait until my wife can send me the resident card.

I just want to check with your guys if all of my thinkings above are correct? Really appreciate!
Midwest said:
I was in the same situation but traveled by car. Officer at the border asked me if I am already a Permanent Resident. I told him No, but I received an email that my case has been finalized and I need to send my passport to Ottawa. The officer gave me my passport back and wish me a good day.

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
xbwa said:
Midwest, thanks for the information, it is very helpful. To be safe, I will bring a copy of PPR email the next time I go to Canada

you or other great consultants might be able to answer another question I have. Is it true that after an immigration visa is issued to me, my TRV is automatcally cancelled? The reason I ask this question is that due to my work, this Octorber might be the best time for me to "land". However, I need to go to Canada several times to visit my wife before that. Let's say if I receive my immigration visa in May, if I go to Canada in June, I will have to do the landing process at that time. After that I need to go back US for my work. My understanding is that after my landing and leaving Canada immediately, to get in the Canada next time, I have to wait until my wife can send me the resident card.

I just want to check with your guys if all of my thinkings above are correct? Really appreciate!
As a permanent resident, you are not eligible to have a TRV. Only foreign nationals may hold a valid TRV. If you need to return to Canada without your PR card, however, you can cross at a land border and they will permit you to enter. The PR card is necessary if you plan on using commercial transportation (air, train, bus) into Canada as the carrier will only accept a PR card. ENF 4 (on the CIC website) describes various ways to confirm you are a PR - your stamped COPR, the immigration stamp in your passport, etc. There's even a protocol for confirming you are a PR in the absence of any documentation.

If you must travel by commercial transport you should obtain a PR travel document.

lawgrrl

Star Member
Jul 8, 2012
Nanaimo, B.C.
Visa Office......
CPP-O
App. Filed.......
10-10-2012
AOR Received.
11-14-2012
VISA ISSUED...
02-03-2013
LANDED..........
05-22-2013
IslandAnnie said:
As a sponsor currently living my spouse outside of Canada, I have been wondering exactly the same thing. I have not been asked for my "proof of intent" yet, but I've been planning and compiling documentation....all without having any idea of what will be "enough". So far I haven't read of anyone on these forums that have been asked for proof that hasn't been accepted, but these requests seem all quite new, so it may be too early to tell.
I have no idea what is "driving" these requests, but I can say that the level of "proof" required seems awfully low (at least to this former attorney!). My Canadian husband and I are on the verge of retirement and wanted to return now to look after his aged (90 and 87 year old) parents. We submitted ONE email from them stating how they were looking forward to us being near by. Hubby has an online business here which he is winding down, but he signed up with a Canadian web host company and got a ".ca" web address. He threw together a one-page "coming soon" webpage of his "proposed" business venture, and submitted a screen shot, the domain registration, and an invoice for one year's hosting to the LA Visa Office. He also submitted emails from 2 current business associates stating that he could distribute their products in Canada/B.C.
We had COPR less than 30 days after submitting this "proof." ;D Our experience leads me to believe that CIC is looking for some proof of intent to re-establish, but it doesn't need to equal the level of proof of a "genuine and lasting relationship." JMHO.

xbwa

Oct 14, 2012
Thanks for the info. Every time I go to Canada I have to fly. I saw from the forum that it might take four months to just get a travel documents. Maybe I should just wait for my wife to mail me the new PR card to Virginia, after my landing and returning to US. I saw that PR card will take only one to two months to arrive.

computergeek said:
As a permanent resident, you are not eligible to have a TRV. Only foreign nationals may hold a valid TRV. If you need to return to Canada without your PR card, however, you can cross at a land border and they will permit you to enter. The PR card is necessary if you plan on using commercial transportation (air, train, bus) into Canada as the carrier will only accept a PR card. ENF 4 (on the CIC website) describes various ways to confirm you are a PR - your stamped COPR, the immigration stamp in your passport, etc. There's even a protocol for confirming you are a PR in the absence of any documentation.

If you must travel by commercial transport you should obtain a PR travel document.

IvanP

Champion Member
Jul 24, 2012
CA-Montréal
Visa Office......
Montreal-citizenship
App. Filed.......
25-09-2017
lawgrrl said:
I have no idea what is "driving" these requests, but I can say that the level of "proof" required seems awfully low (at least to this former attorney!). My Canadian husband and I are on the verge of retirement and wanted to return now to look after his aged (90 and 87 year old) parents. We submitted ONE email from them stating how they were looking forward to us being near by. Hubby has an online business here which he is winding down, but he signed up with a Canadian web host company and got a ".ca" web address. He threw together a one-page "coming soon" webpage of his "proposed" business venture, and submitted a screen shot, the domain registration, and an invoice for one year's hosting to the LA Visa Office. He also submitted emails from 2 current business associates stating that he could distribute their products in Canada/B.C.
We had COPR less than 30 days after submitting this "proof." ;D Our experience leads me to believe that CIC is looking for some proof of intent to re-establish, but it doesn't need to equal the level of proof of a "genuine and lasting relationship." JMHO.
That's very good to hear! I'm an attorney as well, so trying to prove intent when we're sort of paralyzed by waiting for CIC to process my family's immigration papers has been giving me stress. But I've been looking for work and submitted a ton of correspondence with a potential employer, travel receipts for a job interview, a bank statement showing I've opened an account in Montreal and that I've transferred money to it, correspondence with a potential buyer for our house, and an email to a musician friend from Montreal asking for help finding private music teachers for our kids, so I'm reasonably confident that we've demonstrated intent.