+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CPP-Ottawa

Jan 27, 2016
Aquakitty said:
I'm convinced by anecdotal evidence that common-law does indeed tend take longer. At least, it seems that the applications that take under 6 months are all married apps. It makes sense, since the officer must verify the 1 year living together requirement.
Can anyone else offer any thoughts or anecdotal evidence on this? Just so when I tell my partner we need to get married, I can be like, "No, no, honey, I'm not suggesting we get married just because a random stranger on the internet said it might get our application processed faster, TWO random strangers said so!"

spinning_sponsor

Star Member
Jan 19, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-05-2015
Doc's Request.
09-10-2015 and 02-12-2015
AOR Received.
10-06-2015
File Transfer...
06-07-2015
Med's Done....
UPFRONT
VISA ISSUED...
IN PROCESS 09-10-2015 DM 11-02-2015
LANDED..........
11-03-2016
reginaphalange said:
Can anyone else offer any thoughts or anecdotal evidence on this? Just so when I tell my partner we need to get married, I can be like, "No, no, honey, I'm not suggesting we get married just because a random stranger on the internet said it might get our application processed faster, TWO random strangers said so!"
Considering there are married couples that have applied 1-3 months after us who have already landed, I would say its pretty clear they scrutinize common-law a lot more. However I refuse to marry simply out of 'making things faster', I find it a ridiculous notion that I should rush a relationship simply for the sake of making our slow government office slightly faster.

ChellyCat

Jan 8, 2015
Mississauga, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-Feb-2015
Doc's Request.
30-July-2015 (Proof of sponsor's Canadian residence)
AOR Received.
06-April-2015
Med's Done....
27-April-2015
Passport Req..
IP: August 6. DM: Sept 26
VISA ISSUED...
25-Sept-2015
LANDED..........
05-Oct-2015
spinning_sponsor said:
Considering there are married couples that have applied 1-3 months after us who have already landed, I would say its pretty clear they scrutinize common-law a lot more. However I refuse to marry simply out of 'making things faster', I find it a ridiculous notion that I should rush a relationship simply for the sake of making our slow government office slightly faster.
Sadly, a lot of relationships have to be rushed regardless. I had a common-law app, and we rushed moving in together because we knew we'd have to live together an entire year before being eligible to apply and my status in Canada was limited. Luckily everything worked out great (we recently became sick of renting and bought a condo together!) and we love living together, but for some couples it's probably a terrible idea moving in so fast.

Jan 27, 2016
spinning_sponsor said:
I agree; it's completely ridiculous. Luckily I'm in a situation where we are ready to get married and were just putting it off because we want to save money for the move to Canada, so maybe we'll do it on paper and have the ceremony and whatnot later. I definitely feel for people who have to choose between rushing a relationship and waiting longer for healthcare and employment. Thanks for the information!

JamesinCanada

Star Member
Jan 23, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-05-2015
Doc's Request.
25-11-2015
AOR Received.
25-05-2015
IELTS Request
Batch EMail: 23-10-15
Med's Done....
upfront
Passport Req..
DM: 15/2/2016
VISA ISSUED...
COPR: 23/2/2016
LANDED..........
14-03-2016
Haha, yeah you guys are right, some people must feel rushed. Personally I felt like I had to wait too long. I was going crazy in the long distance part of our relationship. So happy when I moved in. Right now I can't even imagine leaving James' side! So we're praying we get our COPR soon so we don't have to be separated. We'd both sob. It'd be terrible.

jholl

Jan 11, 2016
rugrat907 said:
Ottawa does not do an AOR2, so seeing that line is what you are going to see. Most people also see a line that says Medicals Received in ECAS; for some it's in there right away and for others it does take a bit of time.

CIC has the ability to extend medicals and for many people they will, but it's not an automatic thing. If it's getting tight and they decide they need new medicals, they will let you know. I needed to have mine re-done and overall it probably added a month total to the process.
thanks rugrat!

also, I just found out that I might have a chance to move to Quebec for work (possible promotion), but I am afraid of moving (specially to QC) now that my file is already with VO. would moving slow things down? also, if I am moving to quebec during the process would I need to get the QC certificates?

o6ocpaka

Sep 19, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-02-2015
AOR Received.
none
File Transfer...
20-04-2015
Med's Done....
07-12-2014
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
visa exempt
VISA ISSUED...
08-10-2015
LANDED..........
11-11-2015
reginaphalange said:
I always thought that getting married is just an official paper from the government about your relationship, so if your partner hesitates I would be concerned.
Your partner should not even be troubled with this (if he/she really wants to be with you) in a way immigration process is a true testament of a relationship.

Jan 27, 2016
o6ocpaka said:
I always thought that getting married is just an official paper from the government about your relationship, so if your partner hesitates I would be concerned.
Your partner should not even be troubled with this (if he/she really wants to be with you) in a way immigration process is a true testament of a relationship.
I was just making a joke. I agree with you and believe marriage is a pretty meaningless government label (for me personally; I completely respect how significant it is to other people), so if it means I can work and have access to health care that much sooner, it's completely worth it for us.

krishnalynn

May 15, 2015
Calgary, AB
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-11-2015
AOR Received.
23-12-2015
File Transfer...
08-01-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
16-10-2015
Passport Req..
DM: 15-04-2016
Man, I haven't heard that common-law typically doesn't get DM before 6 months. That sucks. I really need to be working by summer.

o6ocpaka

Sep 19, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-02-2015
AOR Received.
none
File Transfer...
20-04-2015
Med's Done....
07-12-2014
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
visa exempt
VISA ISSUED...
08-10-2015
LANDED..........
11-11-2015
reginaphalange said:
I was just making a joke. I agree with you and believe marriage is a pretty meaningless government label (for me personally; I completely respect how significant it is to other people), so if it means I can work and have access to health care that much sooner, it's completely worth it for us.
Exactly ;D, I would also never understand how many can spend thousands (25-30k) on marriage... Its just a piece of paper at the end, that's all..
Oh well..

kawafam0919

Star Member
Jul 7, 2015
japan
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-Nov-2015
AOR Received.
30-Dec-2015
File Transfer...
15-Jan-2016
Med's Done....
03-Oct-2015
krishnalynn said:
Man, I haven't heard that common-law typically doesn't get DM before 6 months. That sucks. I really need to be working by summer.
I'm in the same boat! We applied as common-law. Praying for a seven month wait...of course I wouldn't say no to a six (or less) month wait haha! We really want to move back to Canada together by the end of summer at the latest :/ I guess we will have to wait and see...

CharisseyB

Star Member
Apr 21, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-04-2015
Doc's Request.
09-22-2015
AOR Received.
05-05-2015 Sponsorship Approval
File Transfer...
12-05-2015 Mississauga to Ottawa
Med's Done....
31-07-2015
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
DM 07-02-2016
LANDED..........
Possibly APRIL 2016
spinning_sponsor said:
You guys are common- law I see... Still sitting here waiting... I am sure that his application file is in the shelf somewhere collecting dust now... I am going to order some notes and I will talk to MP...Now that you talked to your MP though, I am thinking there’s not much they will do for me either... Just curious, is your MP conservative or liberal? I’ve heard that conservatives don’t usually care for immigration...but who knows? At this point, I am just done with this...I don’t know what they’re gonna do if they’re gonna do anything...sigh. I AM PRAYING HARD THAT THIS NIGHTMARE comes to pass!:’(

jamsham12

Jan 6, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01/19/2015
AOR Received.
03/16/2015
File Transfer...
04/21/2015
Passport Req..
In Process: 08/06/2015 DM: 10/31/2015
VISA ISSUED...
11/16/2015
LANDED..........
12/30/2015
spinning_sponsor said:
Not necessarily, I applied common-law been with my partner over 4 years and looking at the notes most of the 9 and half months it took to get approved, 90% of the time it was sitting in FCP inventory aka in a pile of a dust. When it came to actually processing the application including medical,security and criminality and sincerity of the relationship took less than 3 weeks. Depending on circumstances whether the relationship between a married couple/common-law couple happened rather quickly i would assume would take more time than for instances a couple who has been together for many years. Although common-law couples have to send in more proof than married couples, in my opinion CIC doesn't scrutinize common-law couples more per say then married couples.

spinning_sponsor

Star Member
Jan 19, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-05-2015
Doc's Request.
09-10-2015 and 02-12-2015
AOR Received.
10-06-2015
File Transfer...
06-07-2015
Med's Done....
UPFRONT
VISA ISSUED...
IN PROCESS 09-10-2015 DM 11-02-2015
LANDED..........
11-03-2016
CharisseyB said:
You guys are common- law I see... Still sitting here waiting... I am sure that his application file is in the shelf somewhere collecting dust now... I am going to order some notes and I will talk to MP...Now that you talked to your MP though, I am thinking there’s not much they will do for me either... Just curious, is your MP conservative or liberal? I’ve heard that conservatives don’t usually care for immigration...but who knows? At this point, I am just done with this...I don’t know what they’re gonna do if they’re gonna do anything...sigh. I AM PRAYING HARD THAT THIS NIGHTMARE comes to pass!:'(
Conservative. It sounded like they didn't have much power to do much in regards to the app other than check if it actually exists or not. Getting any specific info on how long it will take to process wasn't possible. Essentially they told me the same thing CIC did, if its not 17 months yet (which is the max time on the website for Ottawa), they can't do a thing. Even though I pointed out how many people are already approved that applied after me.

It really would be nice if Ottawa actually processed apps in order.

canadausa#11

Jan 5, 2016
spinning_sponsor said:
It really would be nice if Ottawa actually processed apps in order.

Not really. That would not be great if you had a straight forward application but were stuck in line behind someone who had red flags/problems with their application and delayed yours because of their problems.