+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Changing DLI number inside Canada

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
I prepared all papers and the LOA of the old university to which I applied for the visa. But the officer at the airport did not ask me about any documents, he just asked me about the name of the program and the university.
You are still in violation. The way the DLI change work, does not require human intervention, you can even go and do it now and it will give you same confirmation. Issue will be when your old DLI filed yearly regulatory report to IRCC or when you will be applying for pgwp...

Reactions: Naturgrl

aspirant256

Champion Member
Oct 29, 2020
I prepared all papers and the LOA of the old university to which I applied for the visa. But the officer at the airport did not ask me about any documents, he just asked me about the name of the program and the university.
So did you mention the new Ph.D. program or the old program to the officer?

AsmaaKF

Aug 1, 2022
You are still in violation. The way the DLI change work, does not require human intervention, you can even go and do it now and it will give you same confirmation. Issue will be when your old DLI filed yearly regulatory report to IRCC or when you will be applying for pgwp...
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/study-permit/prepare-arrival/study-permit-conditions.html

It is not mentioned that I have to study for one semester in the old school as many people said. And it is stated" actively studying" without mentioning any school either the old or new. In addition, it is stared that you have to inform IRCC any time you change the program. Please inform me if there is any misunderstanding.

aspirant256

Champion Member
Oct 29, 2020
I mentioned the old program only
What made you show them the old one and not the new one when you are arguing that you sent them new LOA and got approval after the webform? you knowingly deceived them and now want us to tell you everything is okay?

AsmaaKF

Aug 1, 2022
What made you show them the old one and not the new one when you are arguing that you sent them new LOA and got approval after the webform? you knowingly deceived them and now want us to tell you everything is okay?
I got visa approval on the old DLI, because the expiry date coincides with the duration of the old program, so the officer knows only the program registered in the application.

aspirant256

Champion Member
Oct 29, 2020
I got visa approval on the old DLI, because the expiry date coincides with the duration of the old program, so the officer knows only the program registered in the application.
So the conditions of change required are that you should be enrolled at the old DLI and actively studying while you change your DLI. If you did not enroll to this old school at all then that breaches the conditions.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/change-schools.html

Reactions: canuck78

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/study-permit/prepare-arrival/study-permit-conditions.html

It is not mentioned that I have to study for one semester in the old school as many people said. And it is stated" actively studying" without mentioning any school either the old or new. In addition, it is stared that you have to inform IRCC any time you change the program. Please inform me if there is any misunderstanding.
”Actively studying” means that you must study at the DLI on your current study permit first before changing schools. IRCC changed the rules a couple of years ago as many people were entering Canada and then changing DLI without studying at the original DLI. Attached is the operational guidelines. You can change programs within DLI.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/assessing-conditions.html

Last edited:

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021

Its on your SP permit based on your old DLI. Conditions of your SP for now is attached to your old DLI, until when "active studying in Canada" criteria is met, or if you reapply and receive new SP with your new SP...Key word" YOU MUST BE ACTIVELY STUDYING"

Reactions: Naturgrl

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

I am confirming your misunderstanding. Yes, you have misunderstood.

To change DLIs, you must be actively studying at your first / current school. That's what this clearly means. It's a condition to be able to change schools. Obviously a condition to change schools cannot be that you are actively studying at your new school. The actively studying refers to your original / first school.

As has been explained several times, you need a new study permit if you want to change schools without first studying at your original school.

Reactions: YVR123

Okafors1

Nov 25, 2023
I arrived at Canada in July and I changed school on September intake I didn’t register on my previous school before I changed school, does this break the law?

Okafors1

Nov 25, 2023
I didn’t register at my first school after I have arrived in July and I get admission at other school and other study permits in September do I need to update on my IRCC account about the changes? If this break the law how do I amend it?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I didn’t register at my first school after I have arrived in July and I get admission at other school and other study permits in September do I need to update on my IRCC account about the changes? If this break the law how do I amend it?
So you just arrived, changes schools, started study at new school and never told IRCC. You were not allowed to do that.

So you were not allowed to change schools without first studying a semester on the school listed on your permit. So if you have been studying at a different school since July without informing IRCC then you have been studying (and working) illegally. The school on your study permit has to inform IRCC that you never showed up so your study permit may have already been cancelled. You cannot amend it. You need to contact IRCC and find out if your permit was cancelled. If it was, you need to stop studying and apply for a new study permit. Studies you have completed so far may be considered as studying without a permit and not eligible for a PGWP.

Reactions: Simba112