+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Changes on Oct 11, 2017 - Executive summary/FAQ C-6

razerblade

VIP Member
Feb 21, 2014
would photographs taken before October 11 be an issue assuming specification doesn't change ? Current requirement states photos must be taken within the last 6 months.

Juiceycow

Nov 26, 2013
I was just trying to calculate my days for eligibility, so I have a dumb question...

Do I subtract days I've been out of the Canada for vacations? eg 10 days in USA, 12 days in Australia etc etc?

blueangel371115

Champion Member
May 24, 2012
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
13-01-2014
Doc's Request.
10-02-2014
AOR Received.
17-07-2014
File Transfer...
17-07-2014
Med's Done....
02-12-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
waived
VISA ISSUED...
08-01-2015 (returned 1/19 due to errors), 26-01-2015
LANDED..........
05-02-2015 Finally
First of all, thanks so much for all of this, second my apologies if this isn't exactly the place for this but I'm curious and want to double check, but I got married in 2013 and maintained an active Visitor's record in Canada for the whole time until I landed in February 2015. There was like 2 weeks out of that whole period I wasn't in country. I wasn't working here or going to school, just being here with my husband until my PR application finished. Does that count for anything with the new rules? I ask because I've been getting conflicting answers but some of you folks seem to have good info. Thanks and sorry if this is a redundant/silly question. I didn't seem to see an equivalent post.

Last edited:

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
I was just trying to calculate my days for eligibility, so I have a dumb question...

Do I subtract days I've been out of the Canada for vacations? eg 10 days in USA, 12 days in Australia etc etc?
Yes of course.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
First of all, thanks so much for all of this, second my apologies if this isn't exactly the place for this but I'm curious and want to double check, but I got married in 2013 and maintained an active Visitor's record in Canada for the whole time until I landed in February 2015. There was like 2 weeks out of that whole period. I wasnn't working here or going to school, just being here with my husband until my PR application finished. Does that count for anything with the new rules? I ask because I've been getting conflicting answers but some of you folks seem to have good info. Thanks and sorry if this is a redundant/silly question. I didn't seem to see an equivalent post.
It does count. However note that:
- Only time within the last five years can count. Otherwise, it will never count.
- Every day before PR only counts as a half day.
- You can only get a total of 730 half-days = 365 days out of your time before PR. So even if you stayed in Canada for more than 730 days, you can count at most 730 of them.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
First of all, thanks so much for all of this, second my apologies if this isn't exactly the place for this but I'm curious and want to double check, but I got married in 2013 and maintained an active Visitor's record in Canada for the whole time until I landed in February 2015. There was like 2 weeks out of that whole period. I wasnn't working here or going to school, just being here with my husband until my PR application finished. Does that count for anything with the new rules? I ask because I've been getting conflicting answers but some of you folks seem to have good info. Thanks and sorry if this is a redundant/silly question. I didn't seem to see an equivalent post.
This is in the first post:
For the Pre-PR credit, do days as a visitor count?
Yes, it doesn't matter if you were a visitor, student or worker. Note, though, that it is on you to prove your presence in Canada as a visitor. Canada only knows when you entered as a visitor. It is then your job to prove that you were in Canada as long as you claim. This is easy, for example, if your spouse was working and you were living with them..
Every day as pre-PR count as half a day. You can gain at most a year of pre-PR credit

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
This is great!!! I saw it on the news earlier too. Quick question though... My wife is a USC but lives in Canada and is a PR. She works in the states 3 days a week (crosses the border to work and go back home after). Does this count as days outside Canada since she goes back and forth? Thanks!
Every day your wife is in Canada for at least one minute counts as a day of physical presence.

So if she, say, leaves Canada on Monday at 8am and comes back to Canada on Wednesday at 7pm, then she has only been absent for one day (Tuesday). Note that actual border crossing times count, not when she "regularly" returns. The actual timestamp in the border register is what is relevant.

Arman Purba Kainth

Jul 26, 2017
I have a question. My husband is a permanent resident and is eligible for applying citizenship but right now my spousal sponsorship is under process. Being a sponsor in my application, Can he apply for his citizenship too?

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Hi Spyf, I applied about that 4/6 rules on september 14 and I am 61 years old .Will I have responsible knowledge and language test?
Yes, the knowledge and language test still applies to you. If you were one of the minors affected (e.g. if you were 17 and now the threshold was moved from 14 to 18 years), you would be lucky. But if you are at the other end of the age range, like you, the rules at time of application count.

Source: Sections 17.1 and 18 of Bill C-6.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Nader. I have read and phoned the embassy last month. You should have someone in UAE. ThE embassy would only certify the finger prints then you should have someone in UAE to do the rest of procedures.
I would say that still, getting that police certificate will be less hassle than explaining to IRCC that you don't have one (and hoping them to accept your explanation). This would make your application non-routine, and they often land on an extra special pile of slow processing times.

I myself don't know about the UAE and their procedures, buy maybe there is a lawyer/notary in the UAE you can pay for doing the "in person" stuff for you?

beely

Star Member
Jul 13, 2010
What about the online physical presence calculation ? I tried to do it and the system still calculating 4/6

GBH

Jul 25, 2014
I have a Masters Degree from Canadian Univ.. do I need to give any English exam like IELTS etc..

dbss

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
I have a situation. I for unforeseen circumstances and negligence on my part did not file my 2015 & 2016 returns. I filed my 2015 like 2 months ago but still waiting to hear back on it from CRA. I want to wait for CRA to process my 2015 to see if there are any carry overs and then file my 2016. Unfortunately, I called CRA today and they said I need to wait until end November at least before it gets processed.
Silver lining to the dark cloud is at least I do not know owe them per my calculations (I hope).

Question: Can/Should I submit my application with 2012-2014 returns and add an explanation letter saying that taxes are filed and not been processed yet?
What is the worst that can happen if I do go with the filing?