Changes on Oct 11, 2017 - Executive summary/FAQ C-6

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
I have a situation. I for unforeseen circumstances and negligence on my part did not file my 2015 & 2016 returns. I filed my 2015 like 2 months ago but still waiting to hear back on it from CRA. I want to wait for CRA to process my 2015 to see if there are any carry overs and then file my 2016. Unfortunately, I called CRA today and they said I need to wait until end November at least before it gets processed.
Silver lining to the dark cloud is at least I do not know owe them per my calculations (I hope).

Question: Can/Should I submit my application with 2012-2014 returns and add an explanation letter saying that taxes are filed and not been processed yet?
What is the worst that can happen if I do go with the filing?
Technically, you only need to have fulfilled your tax filing obligations for any of the three years before applying. Non-technically, it will raise questions with IRCC if you have this gap in your returns. It is hard to say if they will look over this or flag your application for additional scrutiny.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
What about the online physical presence calculation ? I tried to do it and the system still calculating 4/6
Patience, patience. They will update the website next week.

Reactions: cooldoc80

Nessasary

Star Member
Feb 5, 2013
When sending in the application, do we just send in the things required from the checklist or do we also send in additional evidence of our commitment to Canada. For example, my husband is currently attending University in Canada; should he send in his transcripts. Would he include in the application a job letter? Thanks in advance for your help.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
When sending in the application, do we just send in the things required from the checklist or do we also send in additional evidence of our commitment to Canada. For example, my husband is currently attending University in Canada; should he send in his transcripts. Would he include in the application a job letter? Thanks in advance for your help.
No, do not include document that they don't require. Definitely not a job letter. That will cost the case worker extra time to get rid of those documents, which already makes him/her like your application less :)

Only include the required documents.

dbss

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
Technically, you only need to have fulfilled your tax filing obligations for any of the three years before applying. Non-technically, it will raise questions with IRCC if you have this gap in your returns. It is hard to say if they will look over this or flag your application for additional scrutiny.
I hear you on this one. I became PR in 2014 so I am pretty sure they are going to ask me for 2015-2016 and I will be providing it to them as well, I just do not have them now.

My main concern is that would this be handled as application incomplete and returned as a result or application accepted --> declined at later stage due to not providing documents at time of application.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
I hear you on this one. I became PR in 2014 so I am pretty sure they are going to ask me for 2015-2016 and I will be providing it to them as well, I just do not have them now.

My main concern is that would this be handled as application incomplete and returned as a result or application accepted --> declined at later stage due to not providing documents at time of application.
You don't provide the tax returns to IRCC. You will instead give them your SIN and they will then ask the CRA directly "has SIN 123-456-789 filed taxes as they claim they did?"

vahid_smiler

Jan 1, 2014
I have all of my departure and arrival boarding passes to/from Canada. Do you think it helps to send a copy of them with my application?

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
I have all of my departure and arrival boarding passes to/from Canada. Do you think it helps to send a copy of them with my application?
There are diffent opinions on this. I would say no, keep your application as short as possible. Others say sending these kinds of documents saves you time in case they ask. So there is no true or false here. Personally I would say no.

dbss

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
You don't provide the tax returns to IRCC. You will instead give them your SIN and they will then ask the CRA directly "has SIN 123-456-789 filed taxes as they claim they did?"
Hi spyfy

So, I can do my netfile of 2016 return and it fulfills the requirement?

Views?

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Hi spyfy

So, I can do my netfile of 2016 return and it fulfills the requirement?

Views?
Yes, I would say so. Ideally, by the time IRCC opens your file, the taxes for 2016 will already be processed. In particular, on the form you only sign that you filed, not that you got an assessment. So you are not misrepresenting.

Reactions: ChippyBoy

cooldoc80

Nov 1, 2010
NOC Code......
Passport Req..
No PPR yet , just Passport Biopage request
LANDED..........
I'm Dreaming of July/2015
Yes, four years back from the date of application. Yes, if you have been in another country for more than 183 days in the past four years, you need to submit the police certificate with the application.
Thanks Spyfy for this magnificaaaaaaant thread , does staying for 183 days in my home country needs a police certificate?

is a police certificate that is 4 years old is still good to be used or somone need to get a new one?

blueangel371115

Champion Member
May 24, 2012
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
13-01-2014
Doc's Request.
10-02-2014
AOR Received.
17-07-2014
File Transfer...
17-07-2014
Med's Done....
02-12-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
waived
VISA ISSUED...
08-01-2015 (returned 1/19 due to errors), 26-01-2015
LANDED..........
05-02-2015 Finally
It does count. However note that:
- Only time within the last five years can count. Otherwise, it will never count.
- Every day before PR only counts as a half day.
- You can only get a total of 730 half-days = 365 days out of your time before PR. So even if you stayed in Canada for more than 730 days, you can count at most 730 of them.
Thanks. I feel better. I have my passport with all the stamps and the old VR in it. Thanks for explaining it. I just wasn't sure, because I didn't need a visa to visit Canada, if the time at any point would count at all.

naturalca

Mar 24, 2017
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Wonder whether the forms will updated at midnight so that one may work overnight and mail it in the morning.