YVR Soft Landing Experience July 2018

langoorbandar

Star Member
Jun 14, 2017
Bay Area, USA
Visa Office......
Ottawa
All,

Just want to share latest landing experience at YVR, I haven't seen any latest posts around this topic so thought of posting my own.

We just got back to US from YVR after completing our soft landing and obtaining our SINs. We chose to fly from SFO to YVR directly on United and after some initial delays we reached YVR around noon on July 15, 2018. Upon arrival, immigration lines were long due to morning arrival rush. However, because we had a 3 month old baby with us, we were requested to skip line and go directly to the front of the line. Upon entering immigration hall, there are kiosks where one has to scan their passport and complete custom declarations. After completing customs declaration kiosk will print the confirmation receipt which you take with your passports to the immigration officer.

At first immigration officer desk, we showed our passports and informed him that we are here to Immigrate. He then stamped our custom declaration and passport and requested us to proceed to baggage claim to collect our luggage and then head to the right side to Immigration hall where new immigrants are processed.

After collecting our baggage, we headed to the immigration hall. There were only 2-3 people in front of us and quickly after 2 min. wait an officer called us. We were requested to show our COPRs and then answer simple questions such as state name, marital status and swore that we were not convicted of any crime or ever denied entry into Canada. We were also asked to provide a Canadian address where our PR cards will be mailed, I gave my friend's address in Ontario and officer did not question us on why we are landing at Vancouver when address is in Ontario.

Once we did that, officer asked us to take a seat and then processed our COPRs. Since we had a 3 month old with us, fellow officers and officer processing our documents were chatting with us and joking/playing with the baby while working on our papers. It was already a great experience of Canadian hospitality & friendliness. Officer even told us that we love immigrants here and kept chit chatting while we were seated and he was processing our papers. He also gave some tips on what to do and where to go in Vancouver during our short stay there as we told him we'll be returning to US the next day.

After he was all done with COPR processing, I asked him about the goods to follow list as we had not brought anything with us and were planning to move entire household from US by road when we eventually move to Canada.

He told us that he won't process any goods list at this time and I'll need to complete the goods declaration process while bringing in the goods. It was a surprise but I didn't argue with him and accepted to figure things out at a later date when time comes to bring the goods.

We exited the airport and walked few meters to rental car counters, collected our rental car and headed to the Hotel. As we had a baby with us, we didn't get to explore Vancouver much as we had to take it slowly. As July 15, 2018 was Sunday, we didn't get to apply for SIN and had to wait till the next day for Service Canada office to open.

On Monday morning, after leisurely breakfast at the hotel we checked out around 11:30AM and headed to Service Canada office in Richmond, BC. Upon arriving at the office, we were requested to take a seat for 10 min and another officer called our name. We were requested to show our COPR papers and Passports and lady officer entered all of our information into the system. After she was done, we were issued SIN numbers and confirmation letter was printed and handed out to us.

Throughout the landing & Service Canada process, we were treated with respect and friendliness which is not that common in US, especially at Government offices. In US after many years or stay and interacting with many officers I feel that lot of them are rude and/or indifferent. While these 3 separate Canadian officers that we interacted with during our short stay were extremely friendly and welcoming. They made us feel valued and had our best interest in mind.

Return Experience to US -

We were done with SIN around 1PM and had plenty of time to kill as our return flight to SFO was at 7:00PM. We roamed around a bit and then headed to airport around 4:00PM. Upon rental car return and short walk to the terminal, we checked in for flight and headed to security and immigration. During check-in, electronic kiosks were unable to process my ticket as I had an expired visa. I had to talk with the checking agent and upon confirming AVR use, she issued the boarding passes. For my wife & baby, there was no issue and they also received the boarding passes.

After checking in, we headed to the baggage scanners where we dropped our luggage and headed to security. After security was cleared, we entered the US immigration hall, there was no queue for US visa holders and officer immediately called us to the processing booth.

I had an expired visa from my previous employer in my expired passport but a valid H1B- I797 approval notice with I-94 and new passport with me. My wife had valid visa in her expired passport. We showed it to the officer, he then collected our fingerprints and issued us an entry stamps. I got it for same expiration as I-94 on the existing I-797 notice while my wife got it till her visa expiration. For US born baby, he simply looked at the passport and then returned it back without even looking at the baby. We were not asked any other question or requested to show paystub/client letter etc. during this enter process. Eventually we made our way to the gate and then after delayed flight reached SFO around midnight on July 16, 2018.

Overall, it was a smooth landing experience and we liked the way Canadians treat new immigrants which is totally different from US. Even US immigration officers stationed in Canada seemed much more friendly than the ones I have encountered at SFO :)

Hope it helps other folks who are planning to land at YVR, good luck to everyone!

doge

Mar 29, 2017
Visa Office......
Ottawa CPC
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
22-03-2017
AOR Received.
22-03-2017
Med's Done....
19-04-2017
Passport Req..
28-06-2017
VISA ISSUED...
13-07-2017
LANDED..........
09-08-2017
Great post! Thanks 4 sharing.

Nobatia

Aug 20, 2017
United Arab Emirates
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
29-12-2017
AOR Received.
29-12-2017
Med's Done....
15-01-2018
Passport Req..
02-05-2018
VISA ISSUED...
03-06-2018
LANDED..........
13-10-2018
Thanks for sharing your experience, good to know you had a pleasant landing. :)
I'll be landing at YYZ, which will probably be significantly more crowded, but I hope it goes as smoothly as yours.

tobs

VIP Member
May 25, 2018
Nigeria
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
10-07-2018
AOR Received.
10-07-2018
Passport Req..
04-01-2019
All,

Just want to share latest landing experience at YVR, I haven't seen any latest posts around this topic so thought of posting my own.

We just got back to US from YVR after completing our soft landing and obtaining our SINs. We chose to fly from SFO to YVR directly on United and after some initial delays we reached YVR around noon on July 15, 2018. Upon arrival, immigration lines were long due to morning arrival rush. However, because we had a 3 month old baby with us, we were requested to skip line and go directly to the front of the line. Upon entering immigration hall, there are kiosks where one has to scan their passport and complete custom declarations. After completing customs declaration kiosk will print the confirmation receipt which you take with your passports to the immigration officer.

At first immigration officer desk, we showed our passports and informed him that we are here to Immigrate. He then stamped our custom declaration and passport and requested us to proceed to baggage claim to collect our luggage and then head to the right side to Immigration hall where new immigrants are processed.

After collecting our baggage, we headed to the immigration hall. There were only 2-3 people in front of us and quickly after 2 min. wait an officer called us. We were requested to show our COPRs and then answer simple questions such as state name, marital status and swore that we were not convicted of any crime or ever denied entry into Canada. We were also asked to provide a Canadian address where our PR cards will be mailed, I gave my friend's address in Ontario and officer did not question us on why we are landing at Vancouver when address is in Ontario.

Once we did that, officer asked us to take a seat and then processed our COPRs. Since we had a 3 month old with us, fellow officers and officer processing our documents were chatting with us and joking/playing with the baby while working on our papers. It was already a great experience of Canadian hospitality & friendliness. Officer even told us that we love immigrants here and kept chit chatting while we were seated and he was processing our papers. He also gave some tips on what to do and where to go in Vancouver during our short stay there as we told him we'll be returning to US the next day.

After he was all done with COPR processing, I asked him about the goods to follow list as we had not brought anything with us and were planning to move entire household from US by road when we eventually move to Canada.

He told us that he won't process any goods list at this time and I'll need to complete the goods declaration process while bringing in the goods. It was a surprise but I didn't argue with him and accepted to figure things out at a later date when time comes to bring the goods.

We exited the airport and walked few meters to rental car counters, collected our rental car and headed to the Hotel. As we had a baby with us, we didn't get to explore Vancouver much as we had to take it slowly. As July 15, 2018 was Sunday, we didn't get to apply for SIN and had to wait till the next day for Service Canada office to open.

On Monday morning, after leisurely breakfast at the hotel we checked out around 11:30AM and headed to Service Canada office in Richmond, BC. Upon arriving at the office, we were requested to take a seat for 10 min and another officer called our name. We were requested to show our COPR papers and Passports and lady officer entered all of our information into the system. After she was done, we were issued SIN numbers and confirmation letter was printed and handed out to us.

Throughout the landing & Service Canada process, we were treated with respect and friendliness which is not that common in US, especially at Government offices. In US after many years or stay and interacting with many officers I feel that lot of them are rude and/or indifferent. While these 3 separate Canadian officers that we interacted with during our short stay were extremely friendly and welcoming. They made us feel valued and had our best interest in mind.

We were done with SIN around 1PM and had plenty of time to kill as our return flight to SFO was at 7:00PM. We roamed around a bit and then headed to airport around 4:00PM. Upon rental car return and short walk to the terminal, we checked in for flight and headed to security and immigration. During check-in, electronic kiosks were unable to process my ticket as I had an expired visa. I had to talk with the checking agent and upon confirming AVR use, she issued the boarding passes. For my wife & baby, there was no issue and they also received the boarding passes.

After checking in, we headed to the baggage scanners where we dropped our luggage and headed to security. After security was cleared, we entered the US immigration hall, there was no queue for US visa holders and officer immediately called us to the processing booth.

I had an expired visa from my previous employer in my expired passport but a valid H1B- I797 approval notice with I-94 and new passport with me. My wife had valid visa in her expired passport. We showed it to the officer, he then collected our fingerprints and issued us an entry stamps. I got it for same expiration as I-94 on the existing I-797 notice while my wife got it till her visa expiration. For US born baby, he simply looked at the passport and then returned it back without even looking at the baby. We were not asked any other question or requested to show paystub/client letter etc. during this enter process. Eventually we made our way to the gate and then after delayed flight reached SFO around midnight on July 16, 2018.

Overall, it was a smooth landing experience and we liked the way Canadians treat new immigrants which is totally different from US. Even US immigration officers stationed in Canada seemed much more friendly than the ones I have encountered at SFO :)

Hope it helps other folks who are planning to land at YVR, good luck to everyone!
Hi. thanks for the detailed post.
Were you asked to show POF by Canadian Immigration officers?

Vitesze

Dec 15, 2017
Thanks for posting this!

Coincidentally, if I'm obtaining my PR in the coming month, I will too most likely be doing my PR landing in YVR, while flying from SFO with United (also in the morning).

Last edited:

Smarr

Feb 14, 2018
All,

I have a couple of questions for you:

1) I read that you can't use AVR if you have approved I-140. Do you have an approved I-140?
2) Also, did you submit the I-94 printed from the website when you departed US? I am confused about which I-94 to submit - the one from the website which shows that my stay has expired in 2016 or the one with I-797 which shows my status valid until 2019?

Nov 10, 2017
Thank you for the detailed description. This will help a lot of people to clarify questions/misconceptions.

Two questions

1. You have mentioned that you told the officers that you are leaving to the US the next day. From your experience, I here it is fine but is it always the case, as we are supposed to stay for the PR card to be delivered to us?
2. In your experience you said your Visa has expired. How could you enter the US without a valid visa? I might be having the same situation and hence the question.

Appreciate if you can answer these.

Thanks.

langoorbandar

Star Member
Jun 14, 2017
Bay Area, USA
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Thank you for the detailed description. This will help a lot of people to clarify questions/misconceptions.

Two questions

1. You have mentioned that you told the officers that you are leaving to the US the next day. From your experience, I here it is fine but is it always the case, as we are supposed to stay for the PR card to be delivered to us?
--> I don't think it matters or else there wouldn't be PRTD process for letting PRs return back to Canada without possessing PR Card. All they care about is whether as PR we satisfy the residency obligation of 2 year stay within 5 year period. Note, this is my personal opinion based on what I have read on the forum and my personal experience during landing process. Even I'm back in US and will travel back to Canada using COPR via land border to collect our PR cards once they arrive at my friend's address.

2. In your experience you said your Visa has expired. How could you enter the US without a valid visa? I might be having the same situation and hence the question.
--> AVR Process allows one to return back to US with an expired visa but a valid I-94. Google it and take printout of the DOS website listing the process in case airline agents are unfamiliar with it and refuse to issue a boarding pass. I did not face this issue however, I have read on this very forum that many people have faced problems in getting boarding pass. Once they reach US Immigration, officers there are familiar with AVR process but problem arises when airlines refuse to issue boarding pass preventing you from reaching US Immigration in first place.

Appreciate if you can answer these.

Thanks.
See Inline

langoorbandar

Star Member
Jun 14, 2017
Bay Area, USA
Visa Office......
Ottawa
I have a couple of questions for you:

1) I read that you can't use AVR if you have approved I-140. Do you have an approved I-140?
--> I have multiple approved I140s as I have been in US for more than 10 years on working visa and on other visa statuses prior to that. I did not face any issue nor I believe I140 has any bearing on AVR process. As far as I understand, only few conditions are important for AVR,
1. You have visited Canada or Mexico and have not left those countries to travel to a third country.
2. You have not applied for getting a visa stamp at US Consulate in Canada or Mexico i.e. have a pending visa application at US Consulates.
3. You have an expired US Visa but a valid unexpired I94.

2) Also, did you submit the I-94 printed from the website when you departed US? I am confused about which I-94 to submit - the one from the website which shows that my stay has expired in 2016 or the one with I-797 which shows my status valid until 2019?
--> When I departed US, I did not submit any I94s to anyone nor I was requested to. They have stopped collecting I94s on US departures since CBP stopped issuing paper I94s few years back. Now all entry/exits are monitored electronically by CBP.
See Inline

Reactions: Smarr