+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Your experience getting a job

Moe_C

Star Member
Dec 18, 2018
Hello

I'm currently waiting for the work permit, in the meantime, what can I do to help me get a job after I get the permit? What's the most common required skill by employers? I'm hoping to get a job in retail. Is there an organization that helps with that? I'm in Toronto, any advice would be appreciated.

Reactions: soja36

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Would consider moving out of Toronto. It sounds like you have been staying in hotels thanks to the Toronto taxpayers but finding housing will be difficult if you are on welfare or minimum wage especially if not 40 hours.

Moe_C

Star Member
Dec 18, 2018
Would consider moving out of Toronto. It sounds like you have been staying in hotels thanks to the Toronto taxpayers but finding housing will be difficult if you are on welfare or minimum wage especially if not 40 hours.
Honestly that idea crossed my mind especially the cities close to Toronto. I'm just not sure about the the dating scene since I'm gay. I'm not on welfare and I would never take money from the government. I have the money to support myself for the next few months. I did find some great places to live in ranging from 900-1200$ usually a bachelor apartment or a basement which I don't mind. The issue is no one will lease it to an unemployed refugee climate without even a SIN number, and I don't blame them for that. That's why I want to get a job as soon as possible to establish myself.

Edit: I did find an apartment on a monthly basis.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
No offence but your ability to house yourself and get a job should be a priority initially as a refugee over the dating scene. Getting approval for you asylum claim also should be your number 1 priority. You can always move to a new city after you have established yourself a bit. I wouldn't recommend a rural location but a mid-sized city should have a decent pool of potential partners for now.

Moe_C

Star Member
Dec 18, 2018
No offence but your ability to house yourself and get a job should be a priority initially as a refugee over the dating scene. Getting approval for you asylum claim also should be your number 1 priority. You can always move to a new city after you have established yourself a bit. I wouldn't recommend a rural location but a mid-sized city should have a decent pool of potential partners for now.
Non taken of course and I appreciate your opinion. My claim is based on my sexual orientation as a gay person from Saudi Arabia. Money is not an issue for now at least. Toronto seems a better place for all kind of opportunities.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If money is not an issue stay in Toronto. You were asking about getting a work permit and a job in retail which usually means minimum wage so I incorrectly assumed you were in financial need. Best of luck.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Would also recommend volunteering. Getting to know people may lead to a contact for a job. Also could lead to a Canadian reference. Even someone indicating that you are reliable, arrive on time and is good with people will help someone get a job. Very hard to advise without knowing you employment background and education.

Reactions: Moe_C

Moe_C

Star Member
Dec 18, 2018
If money is not an issue stay in Toronto. You were asking about getting a work permit and a job in retail which usually means minimum wage so I incorrectly assumed you were in financial need. Best of luck.
Sorry, yeah I didn't write it well. What I'm thinking is; with the money I have now and a minimum wage job that I can survive. Then after a year or so get a diploma or a certificate to secure a better job. And that's a good Idea about volunteering, thanks. My qualifications are pretty much useless in Canada since I studied the English language. I have a 3 years of experience working as customer service supervisor.

soja36

Feb 19, 2019
QUOTE="Moe_C, post: 7658834, member: 824420"]Hello

I'm currently waiting for the work permit, in the meantime, what can I do to help me get a job after I get the permit? What's the most common required skill by employers? I'm hoping to get a job in retail. Is there an organization that helps with that? I'm in Toronto, any advice would be appreciated.[/QUOTE]
Hello

I'm currently waiting for the work permit, in the meantime, what can I do to help me get a job after I get the permit? What's the most common required skill by employers? I'm hoping to get a job in retail. Is there an organization that helps with that? I'm in Toronto, any advice would be appreciated.
The skill you may need is Customer-relationship management (CRM) is an approach to manage a company's interaction with current and potential customers. My experience as a concierge in a security company in Toronto since 5 years ago has added so much to my skill in relating with the public in the city of Toronto. You might consider that because it will expose you to people and practical situation of all range. This is one of the major skill you may want to acquire. I can introduce you to my company.