+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Wrong answer to a question.

caissaca

Star Member
Jan 20, 2013
Hi everyone,

I'm kind of stressed because I have found out that I did not answer a question my application correctly. I did a genuine mistake of saying "No" to the question "Have you been refused admission to, or ordered to leave, Canada or any other country?"

I did actually got rejected for a study permit back in 2003 to US. I saw this question on my open bridge work permit application and wondered what i answered for the PR application. I checked the copies I have saved and saw that I checked "No".

Now, is the game over for me? Is there no way to fix this? I'm really disappointed and hopeless at the moment. I did get my AOR but it is not looking good now. Any suggestions?

Need help.

Thank you

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You should contact the visa office processing your PR application and correct this mistake asap. If it's discovered - that's misrepresentation which is two year ban from Canada. I think the situation can still be saved if you notify them now and provide the full details of your refusal.

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
I did the same thing, same reason (study permit). Just got too excited.

I emailed my VO and asked how to send it over. They said to fax it, so I did the next day.

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
caissaca said:
Hi everyone,

I'm kind of stressed because I have found out that I did not answer a question my application correctly. I did a genuine mistake of saying "No" to the question "Have you been refused admission to, or ordered to leave, Canada or any other country?"

I did actually got rejected for a study permit back in 2003 to US. I saw this question on my open bridge work permit application and wondered what i answered for the PR application. I checked the copies I have saved and saw that I checked "No".

Now, is the game over for me? Is there no way to fix this? I'm really disappointed and hopeless at the moment. I did get my AOR but it is not looking good now. Any suggestions?

Need help.

Thank you
Update the form with the correct information. Include an explanation of what you just told us - that you were reviewing your application again and realized you answered that question inadvertently. You need to explain the circumstances of your rejection. It shouldn't impact your application but not correcting it now could - Canada and the US share a LOT of information and it is very likely they will discover the refusal. By correcting it now, before they've discovered it, you provide your best protection against a claim of misrepresentation.

You have AOR so you have a file number. Update it now. Send it via courier. Get a signature - that way you have strong evidence that they received it should they "lose it".

caissaca

Star Member
Jan 20, 2013
Thank you guys so much.

computergeek, do you suggest I re-submit that same form with the correct information. And also provide an explanation letter?

What do I say in the explanation letter? Do I have to mention the reason of rejection.

Is there an email for CPP-O I can contact first? Just to check if they'd like it faxed as in case of amikety? Did you re-submit the same form but had it corrected the second time amikety?

Appreciate your help.

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
caissaca said:
Thank you guys so much.

computergeek, do you suggest I re-submit that same form with the correct information. And also provide an explanation letter?

What do I say in the explanation letter? Do I have to mention the reason of rejection.

Is there an email for CPP-O I can contact first? Just to check if they'd like it faxed as in case of amikety? Did you re-submit the same form but had it corrected the second time amikety?
Yes, I suggest you complete a form with the correct information and make sure you look through the application to see if changing your answer requires you change anything else. Generally my recollection is they want to know why you were rejected if that were the case.

I'm going to stick with my advice to send a physical copy via courier. CPP-O seems pretty good, but a courier receipt gives you a hard piece of evidence you submitted the updated form and given the serious penalty for misrepresentation I'd consider it cheap insurance.

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
caissaca said:
Thank you guys so much.

Appreciate your help.
I sent the corrected form with a note explaining my mistake plus a letter explaining my rejection.

The idea to send the form via courier didn't occur to me. It's a really good idea.

caissaca

Star Member
Jan 20, 2013
OK thanks again guys. I shall send them these tomorrow. amikety you may still consider sending them with mail, just to be sure someone has received it and signed it.

I hope this mistake doesn't cost too much.

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
I'll probably worry about that later. I at least got confirmation of my fax ;)

Pippin

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2010
OK..can I add a thought here and I am the first to admit I am not an expert....but, I have a different take on this problem. If we are looking at the application form with the question that asks: Have you, or, if you are the PA, any of your family members listed in your app for permanent residence in Canada ever:
been refused refugee status......or TEMPORARY RESIDENT VISA to Canada or any other country, etc then that would be a YES answer if your student visa was denied.
The following question asks if you have: been refused admission to, or ordered to leave, Canada or any other country? Then this is the one you would answer NO to, as being refused admission means you came to the border and were turned away. If your visa was denied you wouldn't have been on the plane in the first place. Does that make sense to anyone?

kalamkm

Jun 4, 2012
Pippin,

You are right. Visa refusal is different from "Have you been refused admission to, or ordered to leave, Canada or any other country?"

caissaca

Star Member
Jan 20, 2013
Pippin said:
OK..can I add a thought here and I am the first to admit I am not an expert....but, I have a different take on this problem. If we are looking at the application form with the question that asks: Have you, or, if you are the PA, any of your family members listed in your app for permanent residence in Canada ever:
been refused refugee status......or TEMPORARY RESIDENT VISA to Canada or any other country, etc then that would be a YES answer if your student visa was denied.
The following question asks if you have: been refused admission to, or ordered to leave, Canada or any other country? Then this is the one you would answer NO to, as being refused admission means you came to the border and were turned away. If your visa was denied you wouldn't have been on the plane in the first place. Does that make sense to anyone?
Pippin I know what you mean, however, this may be a risk I wouldn't want to take in my case. Since they can find out the rejection through their mutual database system with US government, having said "No" does look like you're hiding something. After all, I was not admitted to the country through student permit rejection. To me rejection of a study permit/visa is a refused admission. I wouldn't want to be banned 2 years for something I had no intend to do.

Andy2109

Champion Member
May 7, 2012
London Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02 Jan 13
AOR Received.
17 Feb 13
Med's Done....
Upfront
Passport Req..
23 Oct 13
caissaca said:
Pippin I know what you mean, however, this may be a risk I wouldn't want to take in my case. Since they can find out the rejection through their mutual database system with US government, having said "No" does look like you're hiding something. After all, I was not admitted to the country through student permit rejection. To me rejection of a study permit/visa is a refused admission. I wouldn't want to be banned 2 years for something I had no intend to do.
I agree with Caissaca. 'Admission refusal' necessarily need not mean refuse physical admission at the border. It could be Visa refusals as well.
Do you see CIC seeking info on Visa refusals anywhere else in the CEC package?

caissaca

Star Member
Jan 20, 2013
Andy2109 said:
I agree with Caissaca. 'Admission refusal' necessarily need not mean refuse physical admission at the border. It could be Visa refusals as well.
Do you see CIC seeking info on Visa refusals anywhere else in the CEC package?
No Andy, I did not. I finished preparing all the explanation letters and correcting of IMM5669E form. I checked other submitted forms but could not find any similar question. I will double check but I'm pretty sure IM5669E is the only one I have to correct.

I feel so bad as I thought I had such a strong application, but this mistake might have ruined everything. I hope they cooperate and believe it.

Andy2109

Champion Member
May 7, 2012
London Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02 Jan 13
AOR Received.
17 Feb 13
Med's Done....
Upfront
Passport Req..
23 Oct 13
caissaca said:
No Andy, I did not. I finished preparing all the explanation letters and correcting of IMM5669E form. I checked other submitted forms but could not find any similar question. I will double check but I'm pretty sure IM5669E is the only one I have to correct.

I feel so bad as I thought I had such a strong application, but this mistake might have ruined everything. I hope they cooperate and believe it.
Don't worry. "To err is human". I am sure it will be okay. You have corrected the mistake before the application is taken up for processing / decision is made. Your intention was not to conceal and CIC will recognize the same.