+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

worried about medical exam

ash2009

Aug 23, 2009
Hi,

im just starting the application for my boyf to sponsor me as his common law. Im just reading thru everything on the CIC website and the medical exam has got me so worried. Im terrified of doctors and in particular, needles.
Can anyone tell me how long the medical takes, is it one blood test or are there other needles involved? Does the same doctor do the chest xray? Also, do they make you strip or do anything invasive?
Im in ireland, anyone else on this forum in ireland that could maybe reassure me the doctors used there are nice.

sorry i know how childish i must sound, but i havent been to a doctor in years as i try to avoid them when possible :(

thanks
Ash

shamrock

Star Member
Feb 13, 2009
My exam consisted of 20 minutes with the DMP...listened to my chest, asked a few questions, took my blood pressure, eye chart test. Then I was sent to the hospital to provide urine sample, chest x-ray, and they took 3 vials of blood...so the blood was the only needle and it is very quick and quite painless.

mud504@yahoo

Oct 20, 2008
Indiana
I was in your same situation ash;) I am not a doctor person lol My process (US) took about 15-20 mins not including the xray because it was done at another location. The only needle involved with mine was the blood sample which went very fast and painless as Shamrock put it and only stuck me once, but the doctor was very aware by the clenching of my eyes that I was not a happy camper 2 be there lol Having the Xray done at the same place would depend on what kind of facility you go to. The only part that I had to remove any clothing for was the chest xray but i was covered with a paper-like shirt so no worries there.

ash2009

Aug 23, 2009
thanks.
Knowing what to expect kind of helps me a bit, but ill still be terrified. I hope i dont have to go to the hospital for an x-ray but i imagine i will - queues in Irish hospitals are usually pretty bad, ill probably miss my train home lol..oh well :)

Tara_W

Apr 8, 2009
Hi Ash,

My partner (Irish) is very nervous of doctors and anything medical too- his medical (carried out by the doctor in Blackrock, Co Dublin in April) was very straightforward. Pricey though! All that happens with him is a general checkup and history along with a urine test. He'll then do up a letter for you to undergo the blood test and chest x-ray at the Charlemont Clinic in Dublin- also pricey! Schedule the doctor's appointment nice and early in the morning, then get the rest of the stuff done same day. Its possible as the Charlemont Clinic, being private, is a walk-in service and chances are you won't be waiting long. They're very familiar with the requirements for Canadian immigration. It will be a week or so before the results and films are ready to be collected, which you then drop back to the doctor in Blackrock. He sends the lot to the consulate in London then gives you a receipt to include with your application.

Hope that puts you at ease and makes sense. If you have any questions, get in touch.

Oh, and if possible, bring your partner or a friend with you! Helps ease the nerves!

Good luck!
Tara x

Tara_W

Apr 8, 2009
Hi Ash,

Sorry, just assumed you were in the Dublin area! I think there's another doctor in the Cork area who does these as well, but its a limited list of these doctors in Ireland- just three of them I think!

Cheers,
Tara x

ash2009

Aug 23, 2009
Hi Tara,

thanks for you reply. A private clinic ..eek , no wonder its pricey lol. It would be great to get it all over and done with on the one day tho. I'm actually slightly closer to Cork but ive been verging on Dublin because i know my way around up there, so wouldnt have to worry about getting lost ..and one less thing to worry about is always good :)

Ash

Tara_W

Apr 8, 2009
Hi again,

If you're driving, it won't be so bad. The doctor is actually more Booterstown than Blackrock and he's a bit tricky to find, tucked away down the twists and turns of a large housing estate, but I can give you directions if its him you're seeing. There's street parking all around and as its mostly residential, there's no fee. I think he cost around €150.

The Charlemont Clinic isn't too hard to find- it's just on the canal as you're coming into Dublin, off Charlemont Street (which runs into Harcourt Street). There is usually plenty of parking on the street but you'll need change to feed the meter. I can't remember exactly what the cost for the blood tests and x-ray were. There were seperate clinics on the grounds and you pay them both when you're done. I don't think it was more than €300 all together.

Yeah, not cheap, but at least you can get it all done and dusted with no real waiting. And they know what they're doing as well as they are very familiar with the immigration process. Have you made an appointment yet? They mentioned to my partner that he was lucky he was see so quickly as the number of people requesting these services has sky-rocketet. I guess its all since everything went to crap here!

Tara x

ash2009

Aug 23, 2009
Hi Tara,

thanks for the info. One of the doctors in in Donnybrook which isnt too far from Charlemont, so i just rang him to check that they use that clinic too and he does. So ill probably book there...they said i should go early in the morning so ill get it all done on the one day. I dont drive so ill be on the early train, which isnt so bad cos with my nerves i wouldnt be able to sleep anyway ;)

No i havent booked yet because i read that the medical should be left til last as it expires after 12mths. Im still trying to sort out my police clearance, which is holding everything up - my local station refuses to do it and keep telling me its the garda vetting unit, but when i call them they tell me its my local station. Its so frustrating, ive been back and forth 4 times now and im still getting nowhere. Their own website even says its my local station who are responsible for it, but even when i explain this they still refuse to acknowlegde it :(
Did your partner get his done at his local police station?

Tara_W

Apr 8, 2009
With regard to the police clearance, there is a form that you can print off from the Canada immigration website. There's a spiel on it, "requesting information for immigration purposes etc etc" and it leaves a space for you fill in your name and previous addresses. Its all looks very official and you send this to your local station with a stamped and self-addressed envelope. Ours took only a couple of weeks to get back.

Once we had the police cert, we booked the medical and once the blood test results and x-ray films were dropped back to the doctor, we posted the lot off. We were very lucky- our application was processed in less than 4 months. We think this is because we paid everything up front and included every piece of documentation. Nothing else was requested of us at any rate, not until they wanted Ken's passport. His landing visa is good until next April, as that's when the medical expires, but as it happens, we're going over next week to visit my folks, so he'll "land" then.

Don't be nervous! Ken is a real wimp with doctors and he did just fine!

Tara x