+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working in Ottawa, Living in Gatineau

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
LOL....This dude Andrew Miller is not an immigration consultant. He is no longer in business.

https://www.google.com/search?q=andrew+miller+immigration+consultant+vancouver+british+columbia&oq=Andrew+Miller+Immigration+Cons&gs_l=psy-ab.1.1.0j0i22i30k1.769.4275.0.5592.17.14.0.0.0.0.310.2363.0j1j7j2.10.0....0...1.1.64.psy-ab..7.10.2359....0.MJ61lktEzAI

Laws are pretty clear. After landing, you are free to move to any province. If you have any doubts then discuss it with some reputed immigration attorney.

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
I agree. But what happens when you try to find a job in Ontario (or the province that nominated you) and you are unable to find it.. and you get an opportunity in a different province?
As I said, nothing much can be done legally here. Just think this way.. what someone would have done if there was a law that prohibits movement from nominated province?

spousalsponsee

Apr 21, 2017
I agree. But what happens when you try to find a job in Ontario (or the province that nominated you) and you are unable to find it.. and you get an opportunity in a different province?
If you can demonstrate that you tried to make a life in the nominating Province, nothing bad will happen; as a PR of Canada, you have a right to live in Canada.

If a routine review of your case turns up that you never had any intention of living in the nominating Province (eg you were nominated by New Brunswick, landed in Vancouver, and never left BC), then you could at any time be stripped of your PR, or citizenship if you had gone that far.

Whilst other posters are technically correct that a PR has the right to live anywhere, they are studiously (and I can only conclude deliberately) ignoring that a Provincially-nominated immigrant MUST, during the application and landing, genuinely intend to live in the nominating Province. The requirement to have done so does not disappear after arrival.

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
If you can demonstrate that you tried to make a life in the nominating Province, nothing bad will happen; as a PR of Canada, you have a right to live in Canada.
Bunch of BS. No one needs to demonstrate it to anyone. Mobility Rights are protected under constitution. A Remanent Resident , after first landing , can settle down in any province.

If a routine review of your case turns up that you never had any intention of living in the nominating Province (eg you were nominated by New Brunswick, landed in Vancouver, and never left BC), then you could at any time be stripped of your PR, or citizenship if you had gone that far.
Lol..... Who is reviewing cases after landing. Provinces do not even have a way to track down PR holders after landing. All Provinces can do is tune up their nomination program to ensure that they pick future candidates with best probability of settling down in nominating province. For ex - Quebec recently changed it's points allocation for QSW program.

Not sure why people come up with these hypothetical ifs and buts scenarios.

This is what CIC says here http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1113&top=6

As a permanent resident, you have the right to live, work or study anywhere in Canada

This is what law says here http://publications.gc.ca/Collection-R/LoPBdP/CIR/904-e.htm

6(2) Every citizen of Canada and every person who has the status of a permanent resident of Canada has the right (a) to move to and take up residence in any province; and (b) to pursue the gaining of a livelihood in any province.

astralsource

Champion Member
Jul 10, 2016
Croatia
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa, ON
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
22-04-2017
AOR Received.
22-04-2017
Med's Request
19-06-2017
Med's Done....
13-04-2017
Thanks.

What do you think in terms of filing taxes, as paycheck comes from Ottawa ?
You would have to oblige to Ontario tax laws in that case. They will tell you the details.. in any case it is not illegal!!

Reactions: APPNOV2014NY

spousalsponsee

Apr 21, 2017
Bunch of BS. No one needs to demonstrate it to anyone. Mobility Rights are protected under constitution. A Remanent Resident , after first landing , can settle down in any province.
As I said: you appear to be deliberately encouraging people to ignore, and break, immigration law.

Someone sponsored by a Province must, as part of that sponsorship, intend to reside in the sponsoring province. Life happens, and plans can change after arrival, but if they change to a different province before arrival, a PNP would not be valid (and nobody with any integrity would suggest it was).

Lol..... Who is reviewing cases after landing. Provinces do not even have a way to track down PR holders after landing. All Provinces can do is tune up their nomination program to ensure that they pick future candidates with best probability of settling down in nominating province. For ex - Quebec recently changed it's points allocation for QSW program.
IRCC. Any future interaction a person has with them (eg applying for citizenship, sponsoring a family member). If you present to them as "So, I was sponsored by Manitoba, and since the day of my arrival have been living in Vancouver"), you're not going to find that application goes the way you want it to.

Not sure why people come up with these hypothetical ifs and buts scenarios.

This is what CIC says here http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1113&top=6

As a permanent resident, you have the right to live, work or study anywhere in Canada

This is what law says here http://publications.gc.ca/Collection-R/LoPBdP/CIR/904-e.htm

6(2) Every citizen of Canada and every person who has the status of a permanent resident of Canada has the right (a) to move to and take up residence in any province; and (b) to pursue the gaining of a livelihood in any province.
Yes they do. That has nothing to do with your proposed (and hypothetical) scenario, where a person intends to live in one Province, while being fraudulently sponsored by another.

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
Reactions: astralsource

spousalsponsee

Apr 21, 2017
@spousalsponsee

Yup. Keep blabbering without any proof to substantiate your claims.

@others.

Inter-provincial mobility is nothing new. Thousands of immigrants have moved each year from sponsoring province to other provinces since 1991. If you do not want to stay in a province then you DO NOT need to stay in that province.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/research/interprov-mobility/index.asp
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/research/mobility2006-2011.asp
Please stop advising people to commit immigration fraud.

You cannot seriously be pretending that you think "Canadian PRs have the right to live and work anywhere in Canada" is the same as "You can plan to move to another province before arriving in the one that nominated you".

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/evaluation/pnp/section4.asp

"None of the federal programs include a requirement that the applicant have the intention to settle in any given province while all PN streams have this requirement."

yodheydhara

Sep 12, 2016
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
09-10-2016
What if the person nominated by a particular province has landed there once (soft landing), and then went back to the home country, trying to look for jobs remotely but is unable to find one in that province? Now if he finds a job in another province and decides to arrive there when he comes to Canada for good, is that considered legal or not?

spousalsponsee

Apr 21, 2017
What if the person nominated by a particular province has landed there once (soft landing), and then went back to the home country, trying to look for jobs remotely but is unable to find one in that province? Now if he finds a job in another province and decides to arrive there when he comes to Canada for good, is that considered legal or not?
The obvious questions to be answered there is why they left to look for work remotely (which is likely to be harder than staying and looking in the right place), and how long they looked for. If they were forced to return, eg for health of a relative reasons, looked for work in the nominating province for a year, then found a job elsewhere, that's very different from, eg, returning home on the next flight, exclusively looking for a work elsewhere, and moving there quickly.

Provincial Nominees are selected based on a perceived ability to become economically established in the nominating province. It can go wrong, you can choose to go elsewhere, but speed is a key factor. If you work somewhere for years, then exercise your movement rights, that's clearly just a Canadian PR who's free to live and work anywhere in Canada. If you live somewhere and don't work, because you can't even though you've tried, then find work elsewhere, the same applies. If you haven't lived and worked there at all, you would want to be able to demonstrate that you had at least tried to become economically established in the nominating province, and weren't just abusing the program as an easier way in to somewhere where you actually always intended to live.

eshbhav

Star Member
Sep 3, 2015
Bangalore
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-Aug-2015
Doc's Request.
22-Feb-2016
Nomination.....
28-Jan-2016
AOR Received.
22-Feb-2016
Med's Done....
27-Feb-2016
Passport Req..
07-09-2016
VISA ISSUED...
27-09-2016
Hi,
My case is exactly the same.
I am an OINP nominated candidate and got my PR based on the nomination.
I did a soft landing last year and returned to India. I could not take a risk to leave my current job, move to Ontario and look for a job as I have a family to support and me & my wife were expecting our first child. So I looked for a job remotely for almost a year.
Now I have a potential job offer from a company in Montreal.

so I have the below questions:
1. Can I live and work in Montreal?
2. Can I live in Ontario (some border town) and work in Montreal?
3. I have to live and work in Ontario ONLY?

Thank you.

Last edited:

spousalsponsee

Apr 21, 2017
Hi,
My case is exactly the same.
I am an OINP nominated candidate and got my PR based on the nomination.
I did a soft landing last year and returned to India. I could not take a risk to leave my current job, move to Ontario and look for a job as I have a family to support and me & my wife were expecting our first child. So I looked for a job remotely for almost a year.
Now I have a potential job offer from a company in Montreal.

so I have the below questions:
1. Can I live and work in Montreal?
2. Can I live in Ontario (some border town) and work in Montreal?
3. I have to live and work in Ontario ONLY?

Thank you.
1) You are a PR of Canada (not Ontario), so have the legal right to live, work, study, etc anywhere in the country. However, you were nominated by the Province of Ontario on the expectation that you would live and work in Ontario, and that you had to have the intention to live and work in Ontario when you applied, and when you landed. Whilst you do not need a permit or permission to live and work in Quebec, if you have future dealings with IRCC (eg applying for citizenship, sponsoring your wife or another family member), then you may need to demonstrate that you tried and failed to find work in Ontario, and did intend to live and work in Ontario. Failing to do so is not a problem, but not even trying would indicate you hadn't intended to (and so that your sponsorship to live & work in Ontario was invalid).
2) That would be quite a commute! And the PNP idea is for people to live and work in a Province - not just one of them. So no, that would probably just cause you extra stress and problems without addressing any concerns about Ontario links!
3) No, absolutely not. See answer to (1) - you have the right to live and work anywhere in Canada. You may, however, need in future to demonstrate that you genuinely intended to live and work in Ontario, and tried to do so before leaving it, and weren't just using it as the easiest way in to Canada.

Wanter retwan

Aug 7, 2020
After first landing you can settle down in any province

They Are talking about the CITY of destination not province***. If you have any intentions to live outside the Province landing officer can send you back to your country, you must have all proofs that you are really willing to stay in that province: Job Searching history in your phone, settelement plan : Airbnb reservation, Friends or relatives in that province.
I know people who were meant to stay in manitoba but landed in montreal without any further airport reservation or any willing to stay in Manitoba where he is supposed to land and live. He was sent back by the officer in Trudeau Airport Montreal and lost everything....!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
They Are talking about the CITY of destination not province***. If you have any intentions to live outside the Province landing officer can send you back to your country, you must have all proofs that you are really willing to stay in that province: Job Searching history in your phone, settelement plan : Airbnb reservation, Friends or relatives in that province.
I know people who were meant to stay in manitoba but landed in montreal without any further airport reservation or any willing to stay in Manitoba where he is supposed to land and live. He was sent back by the officer in Trudeau Airport Montreal and lost everything....!
You are responding to a post from 3 years ago.