+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work-permit refused with PNP Tech Pilot.

AlexSBT

Star Member
Jul 29, 2019
That it great news! Excellent that you sorted this situation out.
In other words, we have to apply for a new work permit instead of extending an Open work permit, is that correct? In the case of being sponsored by a company and having a PNP.
Regards
I have to apply for the restoration of status and for a closed work permit (like the other users said yesterday).
The difference is that, like i thought, is possible to do it without leaving the country, without stop working (beside these 3-4 days) and without waiting 6 months.

It's not solved yet, the lawyer said that at the border i could have problems because i'm out of status and probably they'll say that i have to solve that before asking for a permit, but i can try.
Worst case scenario they'll say no and i'll apply for the restoration online tomorrow afternoon, in this way i can start to work again from Wednesday.

jugarsep

Star Member
Jan 23, 2020
I have to apply for the restoration of status and for a closed work permit (like the other users said yesterday).
The difference is that, like i thought, is possible to do it without leaving the country, without stop working (beside these 3-4 days) and without waiting 6 months.

It's not solved yet, the lawyer said that at the border i could have problems because i'm out of status and probably they'll say that i have to solve that before asking for a permit, but i can try.
Worst case scenario they'll say no and i'll apply for the restoration online tomorrow afternoon, in this way i can start to work again from Wednesday.
I am a little worried because my wife may get PNP from Ontario and she currently has an open work permit, but with her nomination she will have to apply for a new work permit with her PNP instead of an extension of her work permit. Is that correct? We don't want to make the same mistake. I appreciate your time and anecdote.

AlexSBT

Star Member
Jul 29, 2019
I am a little worried because my wife may get PNP from Ontario and she currently has an open work permit, but with her nomination she will have to apply for a new work permit with her PNP instead of an extension of her work permit. Is that correct? We don't want to make the same mistake. I appreciate your time and anecdote.
In theory yes (but obviously i can't know for sure).

All of this is still theoretical, tomorrow i'll let you.

shomaro

Jan 6, 2020
So, an update on my situation.

I spoke with a lawyer and apparently it's all very different from what we thought.

-now there's not a limit of 90 days to restore the status, there's only a specific date, December 31, 2020.
-now even if you go out of status, if you want to apply for the restoration in the meantime you can continue to work
-the waiting time for a work permit under this condition is not 180 but less then 1 month.

Apparently they even start to process application again at Point Roberts, so tomorrow i'll go there and try to solve this directly there.
If it'll not work i'll apply tomorrow afternoon for the restoration and from wednesday i'll be able to work again (until the decision).
Two points:

1. I'm not sure if this special measurement applies to your case - it's designed for those status expired. In your case you have been refused a new permit.

2. You mentioned the special measurement that "if you want to apply for the restoration in the meantime you can continue to work". This only applies to the employer-specific work permit, which requires LMIA or LMIA-exempt file. Open work permit does NOT have this privilege.

Reactions: primaprime

AlexSBT

Star Member
Jul 29, 2019
Two points:

1. I'm not sure if this special measurement applies to your case - it's designed for those status expired. In your case you have been refused a new permit.

2. You mentioned the special measurement that "if you want to apply for the restoration in the meantime you can continue to work". This only applies to the employer-specific work permit, which requires LMIA or LMIA-exempt file. Open work permit does NOT have this privilege.
I don't have (had) an open work permit, i had a pgwp (expired) and i have a LMIA-exempt job offer

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
So, an update on my situation.

I spoke with a lawyer and apparently it's all very different from what we thought.

-now there's not a limit of 90 days to restore the status, there's only a specific date, December 31, 2020.
-now even if you go out of status, if you want to apply for the restoration in the meantime you can continue to work
-the waiting time for a work permit under this condition is not 180 but less then 1 month.

Apparently they even start to process application again at Point Roberts, so tomorrow i'll go there and try to solve this directly there.
If it'll not work i'll apply tomorrow afternoon for the restoration and from wednesday i'll be able to work again (until the decision).
And you've made sure they're registered as an immigration lawyer? Best of luck and report back if you can. I would still be wary of leaving Canada without status, and the notion that your application would somehow be prioritized seems odd, but ultimately of course it is your choice.

shomaro

Jan 6, 2020
yes i edited the last message, i was referring to the pgwp
Good to know that you are having an LMIA-exempt offer. Even though flag-poling at the border is still not safe and I would recommend you to apply online directly, still wish you the best luck and hope this issue could be resolved soon.

AlexSBT

Star Member
Jul 29, 2019
Hey guys sorry but I had a full couple of days and after I totally forgot to reply here!

So:
-at the boarder they said that I had to apply online.
-the next day I applied for the restoration + work permit and apparently, like I thought, there was a shortcut for people in my situation. Like I posted if you have the pnp and you are in a situation like that they'll process you application immediately with a request through a webform.

In less than a couple of weeks they sent me the confirmation for the restoration and a new work permit.

Miss bee

VIP Member
Mar 24, 2020
Hey guys sorry but I had a full couple of days and after I totally forgot to reply here!

So:
-at the boarder they said that I had to apply online.
-the next day I applied for the restoration + work permit and apparently, like I thought, there was a shortcut for people in my situation. Like I posted if you have the pnp and you are in a situation like that they'll process you application immediately with a request through a webform.

In less than a couple of weeks they sent me the confirmation for the restoration and a new work permit.
Hey did your employer submit jib offer online after that ? How long it took . I’m in same situation please elaborate full process please.