+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work Permit for refugees

lieb26

Aug 22, 2015
My OWP finally got approved last week.
Submitted online application on June 22 and received approval email on Oct 28. This was my first application for an OWP and it's valid for 2 years.

kriv

Aug 14, 2014
lieb26 said:
My OWP finally got approved last week.
Submitted online application on June 22 and received approval email on Oct 28. This was my first application for an OWP and it's valid for 2 years.
congrats and for 2 years..good.

kriv

Aug 14, 2014
i just checked my mycic account and was pleased to see that my OWP application has been approved. :) didnt received an email yet

GhtoCa

Jun 6, 2015
My spouse applied to renew her OWP since June though she's awaiting deportation orders and we haven't heard from CIC. I'm really worried. Will this affect her? Because before she applied it said she's eligible for renewal even though she's awaiting deportation orders.

Mithra31

Sep 4, 2015
Ontario, CA
LANDED..........
17-07-2017
Dear Kriv,

I applied through mail and it took me right 3 months when i received my first work permit in 2014 and then before its was going to epire again I applied on 9th of August 2015 and just today November 08th-2015 i received my work permit it took me again 3 months.
In both times i applied through mail not online.

Best,
Mithra

kriv

Aug 14, 2014
Mithra31 said:
Dear Kriv,

I applied through mail and it took me right 3 months when i received my first work permit in 2014 and then before its was going to epire again I applied on 9th of August 2015 and just today November 08th-2015 i received my work permit it took me again 3 months.
In both times i applied through mail not online.

Best,
Mithra
Last year in 2014 i applied online for my first work permit and i received it in about 17 days. last year the online applications were really fast. This year when i applied online to re-new my work permit it took more than 4 months.

Mithra31

Sep 4, 2015
Ontario, CA
LANDED..........
17-07-2017
My friend she applied online for her second work permit and she received it in 35 working days.

I'm confused why the rules and processing time is not implemented to everyone equally.

Delay in all application and prolonged application process is what we are all dealing with, we all should be having good planing ( pre-planning ) and be more patient.

Good luck to all of us. :(

artin2015

Oct 4, 2015
Toronto
App. Filed.......
23 aug 2013
File Transfer...
Sep 24 2015
LANDED..........
12-12-2017
I extended my open work prmit last year via mail and i get approval during a month. Paper work more faster.
Next year i have to extend one more time cause I didn't get my PR yet

amahmustang

Nov 26, 2015
Hi everyone!

Well my study and work permit expires on 31st of August. I wonder when is the right to submit an application for renewal in order to avoid a gap between the expired and the renewed permit. I currently work, I am just kind of worried that my employer put me on hold if I don't renew the work permit before it expires. Same for school.

Thanks

kriv

Aug 14, 2014
amahmustang said:
Hi everyone!

Well my study and work permit expires on 31st of August. I wonder when is the right to submit an application for renewal in order to avoid a gap between the expired and the renewed permit. I currently work, I am just kind of worried that my employer put me on hold if I don't renew the work permit before it expires. Same for school.

Thanks
if you want to extend your work permit/study permit then you can apply for the extension at least 30 days before it is going to be expired. if it is expiring on 31st august 2016 then you can submit your application any time between 1st august - 31st august.
during the application process you can keep working/studying.

encantado

Star Member
May 2, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
amahmustang said:
Hi everyone!

Thanks
According to CIC rules you can apply for extension not earlier than 3 months before expiry date. So, you can apply on June 1, 2016.

kriv

Aug 14, 2014
encantado said:
According to CIC rules you can apply for extension not earlier than 3 months before expiry date. So, you can apply on June 1, 2016.
Can you please provide a reference?

amahmustang

Nov 26, 2015
New temporary resident visa
(For valid Study or Work Permit holders ONLY) 13 days
(Does not include document mailing time) November 15, 2015 12 days
(Does not include document mailing time) November 16, 2015

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/temp.asp

How do you guys that it takes 4 months for issuing open work permit? It is just 13 days if you have another valid study/work permit.

kriv

Aug 14, 2014
amahmustang said:
New temporary resident visa
(For valid Study or Work Permit holders ONLY) 13 days
(Does not include document mailing time) November 15, 2015 12 days
(Does not include document mailing time) November 16, 2015

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/temp.asp

How do you guys that it takes 4 months for issuing open work permit? It is just 13 days if you have another valid study/work permit.
the timeline you have quoted is for New temporary resident visa a TRV (13 days processing time)
All Students and close work permit holders(foreign workers) living in canada came to canada with a TRV (visa). During their study or working contract if their TRV is expired and they need to travel outside canada they need a valid TRV to re-enter into canada. SO this is for them and to apply for a NEW temporary resident visa within canada and they must have a valid study or work permit.

when a refugee/refugee claimaint apply for work permit or extension of his work permit the forms filled are "Application to Change Conditions, Extend my Stay or Remain in Canada as a Worker (IMM 5710)" which refers to the timelines below (as of today from cic website):-

Work Permit Extension (new employer): paper application - 99 days, online application - 117 days