+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work Permit for refugees

Lamia_Elg

Apr 14, 2015
kriv said:
:) good and correct it was refugee claimant to be selected..and hope you are now out of worries :)
Hi Kriv,
I am extending my previous WP
In the application, in the passport section. do you put your seized passport's info?
Also, in the questionnaire, do we choose refugee claimant as a status? I thought temporary resident?!
Please kindly help me as I am having difficulty :S!!!

Thank you.

kriv

Aug 14, 2014
Lamia_Elg said:
Hi Kriv,
I am extending my previous WP
In the application, in the passport section. do you put your seized passport's info?
Also, in the questionnaire, do we choose refugee claimant as a status? I thought temporary resident?!
Please kindly help me as I am having difficulty :S!!!

Thank you.
1) yes correct you have to but your passport info (your seized passport is yours, it is temporary seized not cancelled :))
2)are you applying online?
if so then these are the steps:

step 1: goto http://www.cic.gc.ca/ctc-vac/getting-started.asp and fill the questionnaire

for questionnaire these are the important questions to get a work permit application correctly:-

Q: How long are you planning to stay in Canada?
Temporarily - more than 6 months

Q: What is your current immigration status in Canada?
Refugee claimant

Q: Which of the following situations applies to your refugee claim?
I have been found to be a Convention Refugee or a Protected Person. Or what ever is per your status here in canada from the given options

Step 2: on the completion of step 1 you will get a CODE, Write it down on a paper

Step 3: create a Mycic account (GCkey signup)
How to create Mycic account:
-goto http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/e-services/mycic.asp
-scroll down and click on "Continue to GCKey".
- follow the instructions while creating the account and i strongly suggest to write down all the security question and answer at a safe place so that you do not forget what you typed there.
- YOU WILL BE ASKED FOR THE CODE (code given in step 2)

Step 4: Based on your questionnaire you answered in step 1, your Mycic account will automatically be consisting the application forms which you have to submit ( download them).
Step 5: upload all the forms once filled/completed,your photo and documents etc whatever is requested in your Mycic account

-uploading supporting documents: scan them all, paste them in a word document file and upload them.
Your identity documents: your passport copy (which you get from CBSA with a stamp), your refugee claimant document, Notice of decision, previous work permit, any of your new ID (driver licence if you have one).

Step 6: once everything is completed Submit your application for processing.

-After submitting wait for the outcome, they will notify about any updates in your Mycic account by sending you an email.
-you will get your application receipt, acknowledgement of application received and file number almost instantly or in few hours which will help to prove that you have submitted your work permit extension application.

Hope it helps

Lamia_Elg

Apr 14, 2015
kriv said:
1) yes correct you have to but your passport info (your seized passport is yours, it is temporary seized not cancelled :))
2)are you applying online?
if so then these are the steps:

step 1: goto http://www.cic.gc.ca/ctc-vac/getting-started.asp and fill the questionnaire

for questionnaire these are the important questions to get a work permit application correctly:-

Temporarily - more than 6 months

Refugee claimant

I have been found to be a Convention Refugee or a Protected Person. Or what ever is per your status here in canada from the given options

Step 2: on the completion of step 1 you will get a CODE, Write it down on a paper

Step 3: create a Mycic account (GCkey signup)
How to create Mycic account:
-goto http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/e-services/mycic.asp
-scroll down and click on "Continue to GCKey".
- follow the instructions while creating the account and i strongly suggest to write down all the security question and answer at a safe place so that you do not forget what you typed there.
- YOU WILL BE ASKED FOR THE CODE (code given in step 2)

Step 4: Based on your questionnaire you answered in step 1, your Mycic account will automatically be consisting the application forms which you have to submit ( download them).
Step 5: upload all the forms once filled/completed,your photo and documents etc whatever is requested in your Mycic account

-uploading supporting documents: scan them all, paste them in a word document file and upload them.
Your identity documents: your passport copy (which you get from CBSA with a stamp), your refugee claimant document, Notice of decision, previous work permit, any of your new ID (driver licence if you have one).

Step 6: once everything is completed Submit your application for processing.

-After submitting wait for the outcome, they will notify about any updates in your Mycic account by sending you an email.
-you will get your application receipt, acknowledgement of application received and file number almost instantly or in few hours which will help to prove that you have submitted your work permit extension application.

Hope it helps
Thank you soooo much. I really appreciate it! I have actually done all that and now I am in the process of uploading the docs.
One more thing, as I am a protected person since April 2014, I have done my medical exam last Feb and I never got any results because I was told that it will go directly to the CIC. I am not sure on what to do about that?

kriv

Aug 14, 2014
Lamia_Elg said:
Thank you soooo much. I really appreciate it! I have actually done all that and now I am in the process of uploading the docs.
One more thing, as I am a protected person since April 2014, I have done my medical exam last Feb and I never got any results because I was told that it will go directly to the CIC. I am not sure on what to do about that?
No one gets the results as they are directly sent to cic BUT still the doctor gives you a document (reciept) which confirms that you have undergone the medical exam and it also contains the IME number, your UCI number, your photo and other details.
if you have done e medical the document looks something like this:
http://forum.img1.ybbs.ca/upload/2014/03/118/55597536409977.jpg

-Btw if in your mycic account there is no place to upload your medicals then why to bother...:).. i personally didnt sent/attached my medicals for my work permit renewal.

Lamia_Elg

Apr 14, 2015
kriv said:
No one gets the results as they are directly sent to cic BUT still the doctor gives you a document (reciept) which confirms that you have undergone the medical exam and it also contains the IME number, your UCI number, your photo and other details.
if you have done e medical the document looks something like this:
http://forum.img1.ybbs.ca/upload/2014/03/118/55597536409977.jpg

-Btw if in your mycic account there is no place to upload your medicals then why to bother...:).. i personally didnt sent/attached my medicals for my work permit renewal.
I had that paper when I went to do my medicals but they took it along with the picture etc...I never got anything from the dr. May be my lawyer has it?
So you mean I can leave the medical section blank? That would make my life easier.

kriv

Aug 14, 2014
Lamia_Elg said:
I had that paper when I went to do my medicals but they took it along with the picture etc...I never got anything from the dr. May be my lawyer has it?
So you mean I can leave the medical section blank? That would make my life easier.
-you should not leave it blank if your mycic account has the section to upload the medicals (most probably it will not submit unless you complete it). i remember when i applied the 2nd time it did not asked (or had no medical section to upload) for the medicals, i have re-checked my account just now and the 2nd time there is no section for medicals.

Now try to change your questionnaire and see if you get an application without medical exam section. try to change this question
Q:How long are you planning to stay in Canada?
Temporarily - lessthan 6 months

And re-check your questionnaire again and see if you have choose or clicked a job description for which medical is a must.

let me know if it works

Lamia_Elg

Apr 14, 2015
kriv said:
-you should not leave it blank if your mycic account has the section to upload the medicals (most probably it will not submit unless you complete it). i remember when i applied the 2nd time it did not asked (or had no medical section to upload) for the medicals, i have re-checked my account just now and the 2nd time there is no section for medicals.

Now try to change your questionnaire and see if you get an application without medical exam section. try to change this question
Q:How long are you planning to stay in Canada?
Temporarily - lessthan 6 months

And re-check your questionnaire again and see if you have choose or clicked a job description for which medical is a must.

let me know if it works
Oh lucky you!!
So if I change the duration of my stay question to less than 6 months, would it affect my application?
I will try it though.
I have no job description actually just my work history that's it. That is so strange....
Btw does the digital photo have to be like the PR one?
Sorry to bug you with all those questions but I'm kind of freaking out!
Thanks Kriv

kriv

Aug 14, 2014
Lamia_Elg said:
Oh lucky you!!
So if I change the duration of my stay question to less than 6 months, would it affect my application?
I will try it though.
I have no job description actually just my work history that's it. That is so strange....
Btw does the digital photo have to be like the PR one?
Sorry to bug you with all those questions but I'm kind of freaking out!
Thanks Kriv
yes its the same type of photo used for PR application and for other immigration purposes.
Note: If an existing photo is being scanned, the minimum resolution must be 600 pixels per inch. you can also ask the photographer to email you your photo right away instead of getting the prints.

Lamia_Elg

Apr 14, 2015
kriv said:
yes its the same type of photo used for PR application and for other immigration purposes.
Note: If an existing photo is being scanned, the minimum resolution must be 600 pixels per inch. you can also ask the photographer to email you your photo right away instead of getting the prints.
Hi Kriv, I really need your help! Sorry again.
In the questionnaire, first and second question what did you choose? How about the nationality (Stateless)?
I believe there is something wrong that I am doing.
Please help me out! :(
Thanks

kriv

Aug 14, 2014
Lamia_Elg said:
Hi Kriv, I really need your help! Sorry again.
In the questionnaire, first and second question what did you choose? How about the nationality (Stateless)?
I believe there is something wrong that I am doing.
Please help me out! :(
Thanks
you haven't yet submit your work permit application???? dont delay to submit it till the last day cuz sometimes cic online system gets down and then you may face inconvenience. do it as soon as you can.

- Are you stateless??? you should choose your home country as your nationality. A stateless person is someone who is "not considered as a national by any state or country. doesn't matter even if you have applied a refugee status...but still you are citizen of your home country. arnt you??

- its quite easy ...i dont know why you are getting confused by the terms. anyhow try again follow all the steps i have mentioned in my previous post.

- the questionnaire
Q: What would you like to do in Canada?
work
temp for less than 6 months
note: actually doesn't matter that much as you are refugee here and cic already knows you.
Q:What is the country/territory of your passport?
choose your home country
Q: What is your current country/territory of residence? If you are presently in Canada, you should select Canada.
canada
Q:Do you have a family member who is a Canadian citizen or permanent resident and is 18 years or older?
Yes (if you have one. but remember only your wife and kids are considered as family members) Choose NO if your wife or kids are not PR or citizen.

Q: What is your date of birth?
select your date of birth

CLICK NEXT (it will take you to the next page)

Q: Are you a lawful permanent resident of the United States with a valid alien registration card (Green Card)?
NO ( i hope you do not have a green card...right??)

Refugee claimaint

I have been found to be a Convention Refugee or a Protected Person ( if you got your hearing and got a positive result)

Q: What is your marital status?
answer it as per your situation
Q: What is your province of destination?
choose the province where you are living

NOW you must get a page which says:-

"Based on the information you provided, the result(s) below indicates whether you may be eligible to come to Canada"
"Open Work Permit"

"You may be eligible to work in Canada with an open work permit."

CLICK CONTINUE (it will take you to the next page)
again CLICk CONTINUE (it will take you to the next page)

Q: Are you accompanying a family member who has status in Canada?
select NO:

Q: Which type of travel document did you use or will you use to enter Canada?
choose Passport if you have entered into canada using your home country passport

Q:Have you ever committed, been arrested for, been charged with, or convicted of any criminal offence in any country?
answer this as per your situation: i hope it is NO

Q: Have you had a medical exam performed by a CIC authorized panel physician (doctor) within the last 12 months?
answer it as asked

if you choose NO for medical exam then:
Q: Do you want to work in one of the following jobs? (jobs are also mentioned)
answer it as asked. ( i choosed NO as had no intentions to work in any of these jobs)

Q: Do you want to submit an application for a family member?
NO ( as you are only submitting your own work permit application)

Q: Are you giving someone access to your application?
NO

Q: Are you able to make a digital copy of your documents with a scanner or camera?
yes

REVIEW YOUR ANSWERS and click CONTINUE
YOUR document checklist PAGE will come and Note/write down the code on a paper (Very important)
the code appears on top of the page like this:-
To apply online, you will need this personal reference code: GC000000000

NOW login to your Mycic account and click on APPLY FOR: "Visitor VIsa/Study and or Work permit"

on the next page enter the CODE (you noted down on a paper)

YOU ARE GOOD TO FILL OUT YOUR APPLICATION ANS SUBMIT IT
note: i practically performed all the above steps and questionnaire while i was writing this message...and it worked perfectly fine.. :)

NOW do it and let me know if you still face any problems. and let me know if your answers are bit different from what i did.

cheers:)

Lamia_Elg

Apr 14, 2015
Im frustrated because I have done all the steps that you did and I keep getting the medical proof section where I have to upload it!!!!
Everything is going well but only that!
Shall I upload another doc instead?

kriv

Aug 14, 2014
Lamia_Elg said:
Im frustrated because I have done all the steps that you did and I keep getting the medical proof section where I have to upload it!!!!
Everything is going well but only that!
Shall I upload another doc instead?
Technically the medical section shud have medical confirmation, any other document may create issues. Yes if you have you previous medical receipt which has the IME number and your UCI number on it you can upload that.

Btw what are your answers for these questions?
a)Q: How long are you planning to stay in Canada?
b)Q: What is your date of birth? (you can just tell how old you are to maintain your privacy here)
c)Q: Which of the following situations applies to your refugee claim?
d)Q: Are you accompanying a family member who has status in Canada?
e)Q: Have you had a medical exam performed by a CIC authorized panel physician (doctor) within the last 12 months?
f)Q: Do you want to work in one of the following jobs?

2ndly did you delete the old application (that showed up in result of any old CODE used). if not then delete the application and restart from questionnaire again.

Lamia_Elg

Apr 14, 2015
kriv said:
Technically the medical section shud have medical confirmation, any other document may create issues. Yes if you have you previous medical receipt which has the IME number and your UCI number on it you can upload that.

Btw what are your answers for these questions?
a)Q: How long are you planning to stay in Canada?
b)Q: What is your date of birth? (you can just tell how old you are to maintain your privacy here)
e)Q: Have you had a medical exam performed by a CIC authorized panel physician (doctor) within the last 12 months?

2ndly did you delete the old application (that showed up in result of any old CODE used). if not then delete the application and restart from questionnaire again.
I did and I started a new app several times.
Answers
a)Q: How long are you planning to stay in Canada? 6 months more or less tried both
Protected person
No
Yes
Didnt get that question
I replied to yr message

kriv

Aug 14, 2014
Lamia_Elg said:
Yes
Didnt get that question
I replied to yr message
You are getting medical section because you already had a medical exam performed within the last 12 months. When did you did your medicals?
Do you have your Ime number?
Didnt you include your medical confirmation with your pr application?

Contact the doctor and get your medical information/confirmation from him. Anyone who do a medical has a proof