+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work permit extension - PNP (employment restriction)

supercow

Nov 10, 2015
I really need you help.

I am August 2015 inland paper based PNP. I have done my medical exam in June 2016.
There are employment restrictions on my SINP.
My post-graduate work permit will expire in July 2016. I am trying to extend my work permit.

I have several questions for you guys.

1. Could I apply for open work permit?

2. If I can only apply for closed work permit, is it necessary for my employer to do LMIA-exempt process?

3. If my employer don't want to do LMIA-exempt process, do I have other options?

Thanks a lot.

Mutair

Star Member
Oct 23, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
supercow said:
I really need you help.

I am August 2015 inland paper based PNP. I have done my medical exam in June 2016.
My post-graduate work permit will expire in July 2016. I am trying to extend my work permit.

1. Could I apply for open work permit? No, it will be restricted by the Province.

2. If I can only apply for closed work permit, is it necessary for my employer to do LMIA-exempt process? LMIa is difficult, try other approaches first.

3. If my employer don't want to do LMIA-exempt process, do I have other options? If you already received ITA which is easy after getting the PNP, you should simply apply for a bridging work permit but confirm first regarding the employment restriction.

Thanks a lot.
I had applied for mine 3 weeks before it expired and got it smoothly within 3-4 weeks. As long as you have ITA and R10 is OK - which you can see from GCMS notes as well.

supercow

Nov 10, 2015
Mutair said:
I had applied for mine 3 weeks before it expired and got it smoothly within 3-4 weeks. As long as you have ITA and R10 is OK - which you can see from GCMS notes as well.
Thanks a lot for your reply.
In your opinion, I still can apply for bridging open work permit although there are employment restrictions on my SINP. Is this right?
What does ITA and R10 mean? Where can I get them?

I really appreciate your help.
Thanks,

Mutair

Star Member
Oct 23, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
supercow said:
Thanks a lot for your reply.
In your opinion, I still can apply for bridging open work permit although there are employment restrictions on my SINP. Is this right? NO. The province's restrictions are what is going to be on your Bridging permit i believe. Better call both the province and CIC.

What does ITA and R10 mean? Where can I get them? ITA "Invitation to apply" by CIC. Have you received an invitation? Read below the requirement.

I really appreciate your help.
Thanks,

Note: If you applied under the Provincial Nominee Program, you must not have employment restrictions as conditions of your nomination.

For this above note, i would highly suggest that you call

To qualify, you must have applied under the:

Federal Skilled Worker Program,
Canadian Experience Class,
Federal Skilled Trades Program,
Provincial Nominee Program,
Caring for Children Class, or
Caring for People with High Medical Needs Class.
You must also:

currently be in Canada,
have valid status on a work permit that is due to expire within four months,
have applied for an open work permit, and
have paid the processing fee and the Open Work Permit Holder fee

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/work/prov/bridging.asp

moneywater

Dec 10, 2012
Canada
NOC Code......
[color=blue]2241[/color]
App. Filed.......
03-03-2016
AOR Received.
22-04-2016
Med's Request
24-02-2017
Med's Done....
08-03-2017
Passport Req..
XX-XX-2017
LANDED..........
already in!!
If you have employer restriction on your PNP certificate , then you can only apply for closed work permit for extension.

Lots of people are extending their closed (only closed) work permit through border. (search the forum)
: just make sure your employer has paid the employer compliance fee and you have the receipt for that.

delta304

Feb 6, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
SINP gives u employment restricted nomination

Dont make mistake to apply open one.
you must apply closed one. I know very well about some cases regarding SINP.

oceanwater

Jul 8, 2016
supercow said:
I really need you help.

1. Could I apply for open work permit?

2. If I can only apply for closed work permit, is it necessary for my employer to do LMIA-exempt process?

3. If my employer don't want to do LMIA-exempt process, do I have other options?

Thanks a lot.

moneywater

Dec 10, 2012
Canada
NOC Code......
[color=blue]2241[/color]
App. Filed.......
03-03-2016
AOR Received.
22-04-2016
Med's Request
24-02-2017
Med's Done....
08-03-2017
Passport Req..
XX-XX-2017
LANDED..........
already in!!
I'm trying to extend my closed permit, but the online application always leads me to open work permit application.

It does not show the document checklist required for the closed permit (just the docs required for open permit and open permit fees).

Anyone know how to fill eligibility form so that it leads to closed permit application?

jp_88

Star Member
Jun 18, 2015
Hi Everyone,

My Post graduate work permit expired on June 4, 2017. I have applied for Extending my work permit supporting LMIA as a paper base application on June 1, 2017 and I'm in Implied status now.

Recently I have applied for PNP and it was approved last week.

I talked to CIC, if they can use my existing work permit application for PNP nomination to extend my stay. They said No and I have to submit new application, but they sound like no assurance of getting Work permit.

I have gone through the International mobility program and other LMIA exempt program and I'm so confused which one would suit my situation. Can someone please share Application guidelines for my situation.

Note: My PNP doesn't support Express Entry and it is restricted for the Employer.

Please share your experience and thoughts,

Thanks!

Wonderland_1010

Champion Member
Aug 24, 2015
Regina, SK
Category........
PNP
Hi Everyone,

My Post graduate work permit expired on June 4, 2017. I have applied for Extending my work permit supporting LMIA as a paper base application on June 1, 2017 and I'm in Implied status now.

Recently I have applied for PNP and it was approved last week.

I talked to CIC, if they can use my existing work permit application for PNP nomination to extend my stay. They said No and I have to submit new application, but they sound like no assurance of getting Work permit.

I have gone through the International mobility program and other LMIA exempt program and I'm so confused which one would suit my situation. Can someone please share Application guidelines for my situation.

Note: My PNP doesn't support Express Entry and it is restricted for the Employer.

Please share your experience and thoughts,

Thanks!

You'll have to wait for your work permit application to be refused then you can apply to extend your work permit based on your PNP. So depending whether you have employment restrictions on your nomination, you can either apply for a open or closed work permit.

jp_88

Star Member
Jun 18, 2015
You'll have to wait for your work permit application to be refused then you can apply to extend your work permit based on your PNP. So depending whether you have employment restrictions on your nomination, you can either apply for a open or closed work permit.
Thanks for the response!

I don't want to wait until the current application getting refused. Is it possible to withdraw my work permit application?

If yes, How to apply for Closed work permit? What are the applications I need to submit for that.

Thanks!

Wonderland_1010

Champion Member
Aug 24, 2015
Regina, SK
Category........
PNP
Thanks for the response!

I don't want to wait until the current application getting refused. Is it possible to withdraw my work permit application?

If yes, How to apply for Closed work permit? What are the applications I need to submit for that.

Thanks!

in order for you to withdraw your application is to let them know through this web form.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/contacts/web-form.asp

But who knows when they will reply back to you. Could be weeks or months.

In order for you to apply for a closed work permit, you'll need to have your employer fill out the LMIA Exempt forms online on the CIC website and have him pay $230 compliance fee. Once all that been done, he will have to give you the receipt of payment and the ID number that will be emailed to your employer. You must then submit with your work permit application along with the PNP nomination.

Reactions: jp_88

jp_88

Star Member
Jun 18, 2015
in order for you to withdraw your application is to let them know through this web form.

In order for you to apply for a closed work permit, you'll need to have your employer fill out the LMIA Exempt forms online on the CIC website and have him pay $230 compliance fee. Once all that been done, he will have to give you the receipt of payment and the ID number that will be emailed to your employer. You must then submit with your work permit application along with the PNP nomination.
This information is really helpful.

Thanks so much!

NataliiaShk

Aug 4, 2018
hello everyone, I have a question if I want to change my job while my PR is processing and in nomination certificate its say "YES" in the column of empoyment restriction, BUT I stay in the same province and will work in the same job with the same noc. Does it have any influence to my PR process? Thank you

jaseenaliottawa

Jun 23, 2019
LANDED..........
April 5 2022

Hey , sorry I was just reading through this and I have applied for employer restricted lmia exempt work permit because my work permit expired , do you have any idea how long does it take to get it processed ?