+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work permit extension for spouse of post graduate work permit holder

orion06

Oct 29, 2019
AOR Received.
04-04-2021
Does anyone know the answer to this question?
We've created a new profile for my wife. I've read something in cic website, it was saying that she should apply as an individual with her own account.

irti94

Feb 4, 2020
hi, my situation is a little different, i hope i can get some answers.

I got an open work permit because my wife is a current student at UoW. her study permit and my OWP is expiring next year in march 2021. but her studies will end this april 2020 and she will apply for a Post graduate open work permit. What will happen to my work permit? will it still be valid until next year? or will i have to apply for some changes in my permit?(I have a NOC type A job that started recently)

upon

Champion Member
Jan 23, 2020
Winnipeg
hi, my situation is a little different, i hope i can get some answers.

I got an open work permit because my wife is a current student at UoW. her study permit and my OWP is expiring next year in march 2021. but her studies will end this april 2020 and she will apply for a Post graduate open work permit. What will happen to my work permit? will it still be valid until next year? or will i have to apply for some changes in my permit?(I have a NOC type A job that started recently)
It is valid until the valid end day printed on it.

Reactions: irti94

KPV

May 13, 2020
Hi
I have received my PGWP. I currently hold a 6-month NOC A job and have 3 pay slips. However, my contract will end in less than 3 months.

Considering that the processing time for spousal OPW is 3-4 months, there is a possibility that by the time that the officer will check our application, I will have completed my contract.

My question is:
Is it required to have a job at the time that the officer is reviewing the application? Or, I can apply now that I have all the requirements....

Thanks for your help

Shanker03

May 22, 2020
Hi Guys.
I have read pages and pages of websites, spoken to an immigration officer(very non committal). I am hoping for just a straight answer. My Fiancee is at college and graduates in June(Hopefully).
This is the scenario: both of our visas run out at the end of August, we are told that she should have here transcript from college at the end of July and thats when we will send off the PGWP application. She has a Noc A/B(i say this as they are discussing official title of job), she has worked there part time for 12 months and has a new part time contract which turns into full time offer moving forward. I have been working for Alberta government for 15 month(hopefully nothing changes).

What i am looking for is some sort of definitive guideline. Once the PGWP is in(end of July hopefully), do I as the common law partner have any concerns that my work permit runs out at the end of August along with my SIN, will I be okay to continue work under implied status? I guess with only 3 month left on the visas this is more and more nerves and doubt creeping in and i only found this amazing site last night. I hope someone can just confirm that we are on the right path or do we need to do something else. Look forward to any replies and thanks in advance.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi Guys.
I have read pages and pages of websites, spoken to an immigration officer(very non committal). I am hoping for just a straight answer. My Fiancee is at college and graduates in June(Hopefully).
This is the scenario: both of our visas run out at the end of August, we are told that she should have here transcript from college at the end of July and thats when we will send off the PGWP application. She has a Noc A/B(i say this as they are discussing official title of job), she has worked there part time for 12 months and has a new part time contract which turns into full time offer moving forward. I have been working for Alberta government for 15 month(hopefully nothing changes).

What i am looking for is some sort of definitive guideline. Once the PGWP is in(end of July hopefully), do I as the common law partner have any concerns that my work permit runs out at the end of August along with my SIN, will I be okay to continue work under implied status? I guess with only 3 month left on the visas this is more and more nerves and doubt creeping in and i only found this amazing site last night. I hope someone can just confirm that we are on the right path or do we need to do something else. Look forward to any replies and thanks in advance.
As long as you submit your application before your PGWP expires, you can continue working on implied status.

Make sure you provide proof that you have cohabitated for at least one full year. Ideally a joint lease, joint utlity statements, stuff like that.

Make sure you also include proof your common law partner has a NOC A, B or 0 job (e.g. employment letter) and at least three pay stubs.

Reactions: Shanker03

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi Guys.

Her applying for a PGWP doesn't do anything for you. You need to actually apply for an OWP along with her PGWP. As said above, you need to include prroof of common-law and her job letter to prove it's skilled and 3 payslips.

Reactions: Shanker03

Shanker03

May 22, 2020
Her applying for a PGWP doesn't do anything for you. You need to actually apply for an OWP along with her PGWP. As said above, you need to include prroof of common-law and her job letter to prove it's skilled and 3 payslips.
What do you mean by it does nothing for me? We have been told that when she applies for the PGWP i am attached to that application? Are we missing something. She has 12 months of payslips and a solid NOC a/b job offer with the company she is working for. Will i still be able to work once the application is in? Really appreciate the reply.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
What do you mean by it does nothing for me? We have been told that when she applies for the PGWP i am attached to that application? Are we missing something. She has 12 months of payslips and a solid NOC a/b job offer with the company she is working for. Will i still be able to work once the application is in? Really appreciate the reply.
Not sure what you mean by being "attached to the application". You have to submit a separate application for your OWP.

Shanker03

May 22, 2020
Not sure what you mean by being "attached to the application". You have to submit a separate application for your OWP.
This would be new to us. We were told that when my Fiancee was doing her application there is a section to add spouse/common law etc and they were attached. I assume we have been misled then?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

Shanker03

May 22, 2020
Last edited:

V!D$

Jun 3, 2019
Hi everyone. I hope you all doing great. I want your help regarding spousal open work permit extension. I applied my post-grad work permit by myself as our university guided for it. But I want to know if its the same kind of form for SOWP extension application. I don't want to hire lawyer and hundreds of bucks. Please guide me through this. If anyone has pdf guide for application, please forward it to me at 'vidhipatel1479@gmail.com'. I appreciate your help.
I also want to know how safe it is to go at border to get extended SOWP?

Thank you.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi everyone. I hope you all doing great. I want your help regarding spousal open work permit extension. I applied my post-grad work permit by myself as our university guided for it. But I want to know if its the same kind of form for SOWP extension application. I don't want to hire lawyer and hundreds of bucks. Please guide me through this. If anyone has pdf guide for application, please forward it to me at 'vidhipatel1479@gmail.com'. I appreciate your help.
I also want to know how safe it is to go at border to get extended SOWP?

Thank you.
Same form. Follow the tool and it will say what is needed. Note that you need a skilled job and 3 payslips for your spouse to qualify for an OWP based on your PGWP.

Flagpoling is not essential right now, so no going to the border.

Maryhdr

Jun 5, 2020
Hi everyone,
I was wondering if there is any criteria for the job to apply for spouse’s OWP?
* I just graduated and have been working part time since 2 years ago. But it is part time job(12 month contract job with potential to renew each year(NOC B). Am I eligible to apply for my spouse’s OWP?