+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work Permit Applications at NYC for 2013

Sen_1911

Star Member
Mar 14, 2013
WP_Applicant said:
Thanks guys for you inputs. I'm planning to visit the NYC consulate in person on Wednesday to submit an urgent processing request, from the above posts I don't think there is any possibility, decided to try my luck. Wanted to know what all documents I need to carry with me while going to the consulate to submit the request.

When I move to India, will send mail to the Consulate notifying them about my change of residence.

Please let us know about what happnd in the consulate today .

drnas77

Dec 21, 2012
I received an email today for my case specific enquiry that they are still finalizing applications from March 25 (from the previous posts it looks like they are still on March 25 since July 25). Extremely inefficient Canadian system is apparent even before going to Canada. I have got several work permits for UK and USA in the past which never took more than 1 week. It looks like from the other posts in this forum that in India also it is taking 6 months to get work permits plus you also need police clearance certificates from all countries where you have lived for more than 6 months, if u apply from India.

hp2261

Jul 17, 2013
I just visited the VAC as well as the Consulate, few minutes back (I work in the area). I could go up to the receptionist at the VAC and she asked me to email them about the processing time for my application.

At the Consulate, I got to speak to someone helping out the Security guys at check-in. He mentioned that currently the processing times are 94 "working days". When I asked him about why the processing queue hasn't moved since July 5th, he said he can't do anything about it. Reason for long delays, he gave me a standard reply as expected - huge influx of applications and the strike. He also mentioned that if I need more information, I should email the consulate.

brahem

Jun 28, 2013
hp2261 said:
At the Consulate, I got to speak to someone helping out the Security guys at check-in. He mentioned that currently the processing times are 94 "working days". When I asked him about why the processing queue hasn't moved since July 5th, he said he can't do anything about it. Reason for long delays, he gave me a standard reply as expected - huge influx of applications and the strike. He also mentioned that if I need more information, I should email the consulate.
Yeah right, we all know how generous they are when it comes to providing information by email...

hp2261

Jul 17, 2013
Yup. I just rolled my eyes and walked away. I was actually surprised that the guys at VAC and this guy at Consulate's gate weren't as rude as the Security guards. I've been going to the Canadian consulate for 5 years now and every time I have to deal with the Security guards, its a pain in the back.

brahem

Jun 28, 2013
hp2261 said:
Yup. I just rolled my eyes and walked away. I was actually surprised that the guys at VAC and this guy at Consulate's gate weren't as rude as the Security guards. I've been going to the Canadian consulate for 5 years now and every time I have to deal with the Security guards, its a pain in the back.
What is really shocking about all this is that they are unable to do the simplest things that would make everyone's agony at least a bit more bearable. Why not update the website each day stating what date they are processing at that point, instead of sending an identical message to 5000 people by email? At least that way we wouldn't have guess and ask around... if that doesn't count as minimal service that we paid for, I don't know what does. People have been more than patient with them, and most of us would not even mind waiting if we knew what was going on. Really shocking and hypocritical of a country that tries to sell itself as "reputable" and its immigration office to be "closely monitoring the situation".

msiva1981

Jun 22, 2013
Just sent a email today. I'd applied on June 24th through mail. So I probably have a long wait.

Dear Sir/Madam,
This is in response to your email below.
Processing has begun on this application and is now in queue for assessment.
All applications are reviewed in the order in which they are received. An exact schedule of completion is not available at this time as our processing time is a minimum of (30) thirty days. Our office is currently finalizing applications received on March 18, 2013.
Generally we do not return passports when we have started processing on an application. However if you require your passport back sooner, and wish to withdraw your application, please send a message to this e-mail address. Please be sure to put the following in the subject line: "Request to withdraw application". In your email, please be sure to include your full name, your date of birth, your sex, your passport number
Regards,
Immigration Section
Consulate General of Canada
New York, NY USA

sealy

Jun 21, 2013
hp2261 said:
I think it is not a surprise for the VAC guy to be nice, since they are not part of the Canadian government. They are a private contractor: private companies always know better as to how to treat people decently. The sad thing for us (i.e. people applied on-line) is that our applications did not go through VAC, so they cannot help anything.

brahem

Jun 28, 2013
sealy said:
I think it is not a surprise for the VAC guy to be nice, since they are not part of the Canadian government. They are a private contractor: private companies always know better as to how to treat people decently. The sad thing for us (i.e. people applied on-line) is that our applications did not go through VAC, so they cannot help anything.
What can the VAC really do? I think they are there just to help you prepare the application, but once it's submitted it goes into the same queue as the ones submitted online. I am not sure what it means that are able to track the application. I imagine in the best case you will be able to see "in queue for assessment" by yourself, like what they tell you in the email when you submit a query...

Jul 16, 2013
brahem said:
What can the VAC really do? I think they are there just to help you prepare the application, but once it's submitted it goes into the same queue as the ones submitted online. I am not sure what it means that are able to track the application. I imagine in the best case you will be able to see "in queue for assessment" by yourself, like what they tell you in the email when you submit a query...
When I talked to them they told me that if an application was made through them they could request for an urgent processing at any time. There is no guarantee that the Consulate would actually care but you would at least know you've tried. When someone goes to the Consulate to request for urgent processing they don't even let him/her inside so I guess this an extra point to VAC

scorpion181181

Star Member
Jun 17, 2013
msiva1981 said:
Just sent a email today. I'd applied on June 24th through mail. So I probably have a long wait.

Dear Sir/Madam,
This is in response to your email below.
Processing has begun on this application and is now in queue for assessment.
All applications are reviewed in the order in which they are received. An exact schedule of completion is not available at this time as our processing time is a minimum of (30) thirty days. Our office is currently finalizing applications received on March 18, 2013.
Generally we do not return passports when we have started processing on an application. However if you require your passport back sooner, and wish to withdraw your application, please send a message to this e-mail address. Please be sure to put the following in the subject line: "Request to withdraw application". In your email, please be sure to include your full name, your date of birth, your sex, your passport number
Regards,
Immigration Section
Consulate General of Canada
New York, NY USA
Congratulations .
You have successfully submitted the documents and the processing has started, as I see you were worried about USPS delivery issue.

Best of luck,

sealy

Jun 21, 2013
brahem said:
I think VAC is simply an agent between the Consulate and us. It is a human interface that you can speak with. It is not going to make things any faster, but at least you've got to ask questions and check status to make sure things are all right. The situation before VAC is basically dropping your passport into a blackhole with no idea about what is going to happen: the only thing you could do is to hope that your passport will be popped out some day.

cookie27

Star Member
Apr 16, 2013
brahem said:
The online form only asks you to enter the place of residence, you do not *pick* the office where you want to have it processed. Since you are in the US for only a short time, presumably your residence is somewhere else, so you will have to enter that information, and the system will probably direct your application to the Canadian consulate nearest to your place of residence.
Brahem,

The online form asks us to choose the "current" country of residence. Wherein it also states that if you are currently in Canada, you have to choose Canada...as NYC office process applications of those with valid visitor visa to Canada. I was thinking that since I am currently in the US holding a B1/B2 visa (visitor/business) visa, I am eligible to apply online though I don't plan to stay long in the US. If I will lodge my application to the consulate nearest my place of residence, it would take me 2 years to receive my WP. I guess waiting for 4 to 6 months is better than waiting for 2 years.

I guess, the question here is....if a person is currently in the US holding a B1/B2 US visa, is he/she eligible to apply online for a WP? I hope I can find someone here with/in the same situation :'(.

As you mentioned in your previous post, the take home here is better to apply online as original passport is not required and one can travel to a third country while WP is in process.

Thanks!

brahem

Jun 28, 2013
cookie27 said:
Brahem,

The online form asks us to choose the "current" country of residence. Wherein it also states that if you are currently in Canada, you have to choose Canada...as NYC office process applications of those with valid visitor visa to Canada. I was thinking that since I am currently in the US holding a B1/B2 visa (visitor/business) visa, I am eligible to apply online though I don't plan to stay long in the US. If I will lodge my application to the consulate nearest my place of residence, it would take me 2 years to receive my WP. I guess waiting for 4 to 6 months is better than waiting for 2 years.

I guess, the question here is....if a person is currently in the US holding a B1/B2 US visa, is he/she eligible to apply online for a WP? I hope I can find someone here with/in the same situation :'(.

As you mentioned in your previous post, the take home here is better to apply online as original passport is not required and one can travel to a third country while WP is in process.

Thanks!

Sorry, I am a little confused -- are you in a dilemma whether to apply in Canada or the US? I don't know what is your main place of residence, probably it is wisest to apply there because currently there is no way of telling how long the processing would take. If you are able to apply within Canada, that would be the best since they are already processing June applications if you apply from inside Canada. I don't think a B1 visa would qualify you as a resident in the US, but I am not sure.