+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work Permit Applications at NYC for 2013

brahem

Jun 28, 2013
chellesii76 said:
Thanks for your reply Brahem. Is the Consulate open for walk-ins Mon- Fri. What days do they entertain walk-ins? Thanks!
I haven't been there myself, but I have seen messages here (maybe in the same thread if you look back) of people who did.

Note that apparently a new Visa Application Centre also opened in NYC and they claim to be reachable by phone: (646) 741-0130 You might give that a try first and see if they can answer any of your questions.

GML25MAR

May 19, 2013
Hi guys!
Anyone has any news with what is go in on???
I'm extremely anger,i wrote several emails but have not received response.
If you have any news please post them.
Thank you!

drnas77

Dec 21, 2012
@WP_Applicant - I have read in the previous posts that you have to send the passports to either NYC or LA. I don't think after approval you send the passport to New Delhi. If they allow that then I would rather go and live in India after applying. Can anybody whose got the approval email, please confirm? Thanks

brahem

Jun 28, 2013
drnas77 said:
@ WP_Applicant - I have read in the previous posts that you have to send the passports to either NYC or LA. I don't think after approval you send the passport to New Delhi. If they allow that then I would rather go and live in India after applying. Can anybody whose got the approval email, please confirm? Thanks
Of course, they will ask you to send the passport to NYC/LA if you applied from the US. But perhaps it is possible to make a request for the visa/permit to be issued in another consulate if you change residence during the application process. I don't see a reason why this should not be possible. However, you probably need to specifically ask them about this.

WP_Applicant

Jul 14, 2013
Thanks guys for you inputs. I'm planning to visit the NYC consulate in person on Wednesday to submit an urgent processing request, from the above posts I don't think there is any possibility, decided to try my luck. Wanted to know what all documents I need to carry with me while going to the consulate to submit the request.

When I move to India, will send mail to the Consulate notifying them about my change of residence.

brahem

Jun 28, 2013
WP_Applicant said:
When I move to India, will send mail to the Consulate notifying them about my change of residence.
You should probably ask them on Wednesday what will happen with your application if you leave the US... better to know in advance what to expect

alpha2007

May 9, 2013
hi GML25MAR- DId you heard back anything on your application? From July 5th they are processing and I am not sure why they are taking weeks together to process 1 day application. mine is March 26th and it is so frustrating to wait like this from months together.

brahem

Jun 28, 2013
brahem said:
You should probably ask them on Wednesday what will happen with your application if you leave the US... better to know in advance what to expect
You'd better ask them about this because according to this page

http://can-am.gc.ca/visas/apply-how_ny_demande-comment.aspx?lang=eng

they will only mail the passports to the US or Canadian address

GML25MAR

May 19, 2013
alpha2007 said:
hi GML25MAR- DId you heard back anything on your application? From July 5th they are processing and I am not sure why they are taking weeks together to process 1 day application. mine is March 26th and it is so frustrating to wait like this from months together.
@ alpha2007 i'm very disappointed,i don't know what to do...how i sad i sent them several emails but no answer..i think all of us we are in a critical situations!!!just let's hope for some news!!!

Jul 16, 2013
Hi everyone,
I applied for my permit (new worker, first time worker) on June 18th via online system.
A week later I received an automated email saying there were processing applications from March something. Afterwards, they've never responded my emails.

I've sent them emails to update my application as after submitting my application I've received the confirmation of my PhD degree. They haven't responded to that email either.

Last week, I went to the Consulate to talk to them in person. They've send me to the new Visa Application Center. I think VAC is a nice thing for applicants as they can keep track of your application's status but problem with VAC (in my case), my application didn't go through them. I believe same problem would exist for anyone who applied online. So VAC couldn't help me then I went back to the Consulate. Security at the Consulate didn't let anyone inside so I couldn't talk to anyone but here is the weird thing, security guy told me that online applications are processed in Ottowa, Canada. Once the application is approved, depending on the address you put into your form, appropriate consulate is required to stamp your visa. He was pretty certain that this is the extent of the Consulate being involved with online applications.

I'm not entirely sure about this information though. First, you're allowed to withdraw your online application by going to the Consulate. If they can withdraw the application, in my mind it means online applications are in their hands. Second, when someone needs to update their application, h/she is required to send an email to the appropriate Consulate and not to Ottowa, Canada. Third, some of online applicants receive emails from the Consulate about processing time and/or current status there. All of these points make me think that security guy didn't know what he was talking about.

However, I've had another experience with the Consulate in the winter. In January I've received tourist visa to enter Canada. Again, it was an online application. It took 2 weeks (there was no strike), they sent me a letter requesting my passport and they stamped the visa on my passport. When I look at that visa, under the section "Where this visa is issued" it says Ottowa, Canada. So perhaps security guy is right?!

Anyway, this is my experience with the Consulate. If anyone goes to the Consulate, it'd be nice to hear their experience as well.

sealy

Jun 21, 2013
wp_applicant_fromNY said:
Hi everyone,
I applied for my permit (new worker, first time worker) on June 18th via online system.
A week later I received an automated email saying there were processing applications from March something. Afterwards, they've never responded my emails.

I've sent them emails to update my application as after submitting my application I've received the confirmation of my PhD degree. They haven't responded to that email either.

Last week, I went to the Consulate to talk to them in person. They've send me to the new Visa Application Center. I think VAC is a nice thing for applicants as they can keep track of your application's status but problem with VAC (in my case), my application didn't go through them. I believe same problem would exist for anyone who applied online. So VAC couldn't help me then I went back to the Consulate. Security at the Consulate didn't let anyone inside so I couldn't talk to anyone but here is the weird thing, security guy told me that online applications are processed in Ottowa, Canada. Once the application is approved, depending on the address you put into your form, appropriate consulate is required to stamp your visa. He was pretty certain that this is the extent of the Consulate being involved with online applications.

I'm not entirely sure about this information though. First, you're allowed to withdraw your online application by going to the Consulate. If they can withdraw the application, in my mind it means online applications are in their hands. Second, when someone needs to update their application, h/she is required to send an email to the appropriate Consulate and not to Ottowa, Canada. Third, some of online applicants receive emails from the Consulate about processing time and/or current status there. All of these points make me think that security guy didn't know what he was talking about.

However, I've had another experience with the Consulate in the winter. In January I've received tourist visa to enter Canada. Again, it was an online application. It took 2 weeks (there was no strike), they sent me a letter requesting my passport and they stamped the visa on my passport. When I look at that visa, under the section "Where this visa is issued" it says Ottowa, Canada. So perhaps security guy is right?!

Anyway, this is my experience with the Consulate. If anyone goes to the Consulate, it'd be nice to hear their experience as well.
I think the security guy is confused. On-line TRV applications are processed in Ottawa; on-line work-permit applications are still processed at NYC consulate based on everything I have read. I emailed to the NYC consulate for my status update directly (not to the CIC) and got a response. On the other hand, the CIC center at Ottawa does not even process work permit for people already inside Canada; work permit applications within Canada are processed at Vegreville.

brahem

Jun 28, 2013
wp_applicant_fromNY said:
That might be what they are trying to achieve in the long run with this online system -- to have most of the processing done in Canada to minimize expenses for themselves (they have been closing down certain consulates around the world and redirecting applications to other ones). Anyway, the system is non -functional whatever way they organized it... I just hope someone realizes that soon enough and starts doing something about it!!

alpha2007

May 9, 2013
DId anyone got any response regarding case specific inquiry?
I got a response last week wednesday that they are processing March 25th and we all have been hearing this since July 5th.

Does anyone knows any progress in status please?

Have they become non-operational or there are too many applications submitted for March 25th?
Same thing happened for feb18, they took more than a month to finalize Feb 18th

gocando

Jun 24, 2013
@GML25MAR & @alpha2007 have you tried calling the number 212-596-1628 posted in consulate website? is it of any help? at the very least i think they would tell if consulate has just become non-operational for work permits/visas. i think there are too many email inquiries to respond to and with the minimal staff, may be they decided not to respond for a while.. mar 25 is driving all of us crazy.. hopefully you will hear the good news this week..