+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work history (Express Entry)

joe9kah

Dec 20, 2015
While applying for a study permit for Canada in 2013 , I declared a job in my work history on the student application form which was a Trainee position (8 months in 2012 for which i was getting paid from the company and I added it in the form so that I dont show my gap). I even declared it in my Post Graduate Work Permit application to maintain the symmetry.

Last week, I created my EE profile after completing 1 year of skilled Canadian work experience. I did not include this Trainee work experience under my work history (since this trainee job was less than a year and I was not sure what NOC code would I put etc) in my EE profile.

But now I am concerned that whether I should put this Trainee experience in my EE profile as well since I have put it in my work history for study and work permit applications?

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
joe9kah said:
While applying for a study permit for Canada in 2013 , I declared a job in my work history on the student application form which was a Trainee position (8 months in 2012 for which i was getting paid from the company and I added it in the form so that I dont show my gap). I even declared it in my Post Graduate Work Permit application to maintain the symmetry.

Last week, I created my EE profile after completing 1 year of skilled Canadian work experience. I did not include this Trainee work experience under my work history (since this trainee job was less than a year and I was not sure what NOC code would I put etc) in my EE profile.

But now I am concerned that whether I should put this Trainee experience in my EE profile as well since I have put it in my work history for study and work permit applications?
No, you don't have to add it to your profile - only skilled work that you can document for points, as you will be asked for letters of referece & other documentation for anything you list in your profile.

If you get the ITA and then have to complete the application, you will have to list EVERYTHING then on your background history...

thepilot

Nov 22, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
VO Mexico
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2011
Med's Request
01-07-2016
Med's Done....
10-07-2016
Passport Req..
21-04-2017
I think his question is whether paid school work experience applies or not.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
thepilot said:
I think his question is whether paid school work experience applies or not.
I think his question was whether he has to make his employment history in his profile match what he previously wrote for his study/PGW permits.

The answer to that is no, in the profile, you only put the experience that you want to use to claim points (and can document). But later, if he gets the ITA and has to complete the background history, then YES, he has to include everything there.

But if he wants to include it, and can document it (ie..get letter of reference), then, yes, he can.

joe9kah

Dec 20, 2015
jes_ON said:
I think his question was whether he has to make his employment history in his profile match what he previously wrote for his study/PGW permits.

The answer to that is no, in the profile, you only put the experience that you want to use to claim points (and can document). But later, if he gets the ITA and has to complete the background history, then YES, he has to include everything there.

But if he wants to include it, and can document it (ie..get letter of reference), then, yes, he can.
Thanks Jes. I do have a reference letter for that 8 months of work experience but I have decided not to put it on my EE profile because 1st - I wont get any points for it as it was of 8 months only , 2nd - since it was a trainee position, it might create a doubt if I put it under an actual NOC code , 3rd - I also did part time work as student when I came to Canada and I even declared it on my work permit form - employment history section but it doesnt make sense to put everything on EE profile.

hardy30

Feb 14, 2017
Hello Seniors,

This is actually for a friend who has a similar situation. She received an ITA under CEC and her score is 455. The dates are below:
  • Port-Grad WP Issue Date: April 20, 2015
  • Port-Grad WP Issue Date: April 20, 2016
  • Work with company A in Canada: January 2015 to July 2015
  • Work with company B in Canada: July 2015 to July 2016
  • Applied for WP extension: Feb 2016. (She was under implied status from April 2016 to July 2016)
  • WP Rejection letter came: July 29, 2016 (It mentioned her status expired on June 29, 2016. CIC call center clarified that there was a mistake in the letter and her status actually expired in July 2016 - but no written proof)
  • She left Canada: Aug 26, 2016
She did not mention work exp of company A when she made her EE profile, as the company was not ready to give her any experience letter. She only showed work exp of company B, as it was enough to be counted as 1 year (July 2015 - July 2016) of Canadian work exp. Now the concerns are:
  • Would CIC count her implied status (Apr 216 - July 2016) despite of WP extension rejection?
  • Can she update her Work History post ITA and include company A work exp (Jan 2015 - July 2015) to cover the 3 months implied status? If she add this exp then she is good to go, as she will be covering work exp gained on PGWP. The points will remain the same though. Would CIC consider this or it would be misrepresentation? In short, updating (adding or removing) work exp post ITA would be considered towards the points calculation?
  • Should she continue with her ITA and application by adding company A (hope this is allowed and her work exp be considered)?
  • Should she decline the ITA and update her profile (add company A)?
  • Should she withdraw her profile and make a total new EE profile again and wait for the new ITA?
Please help. Thank you very much for all your support.

Cheers,
Hardy

rekhabishop

Star Member
Jun 19, 2017
I got my ITA. :)
But there is a little issue. :(
So my NOC is 2171, but in my EE profile, I had listed my job tenure with only my current designation. But actually, I have worked on two different designations in the same firm. both correspond to the NOC 2171 only. One is analyst(2014-16) and the other is consultant(2016-present). In EE profile, I only mentioned consultant with tenure (2014-17) because it was under the same employer.

I can't change it because I've accepted my ITA already. :(
Is it such a big deal?

jerry1013

Aug 1, 2017
I got ITA yesterday. I have a question regarding my part time work history. Hope someone can help me with it.

I have been working 1 year and half in my current company as property accountant ( this is the position i use to apply CEC). Before i graduate from university, i part-timed in a restaurant couple hours a week. I did not mention this part time experience in my profile. i want to ask do i have to mention it in the application documents?( i may not get a reference letter and i can not count the exact hours worked there because my shift changes every few weeks)

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
I got ITA yesterday. I have a question regarding my part time work history. Hope someone can help me with it.

I have been working 1 year and half in my current company as property accountant ( this is the position i use to apply CEC). Before i graduate from university, i part-timed in a restaurant couple hours a week. I did not mention this part time experience in my profile. i want to ask do i have to mention it in the application documents?( i may not get a reference letter and i can not count the exact hours worked there because my shift changes every few weeks)
You have to list EVERYTHING in your background history, yes (not your profile). But you will only be asked for documents for jobs you listed in your profile.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
I got my ITA. :)
But there is a little issue. :(
So my NOC is 2171, but in my EE profile, I had listed my job tenure with only my current designation. But actually, I have worked on two different designations in the same firm. both correspond to the NOC 2171 only. One is analyst(2014-16) and the other is consultant(2016-present). In EE profile, I only mentioned consultant with tenure (2014-17) because it was under the same employer.

I can't change it because I've accepted my ITA already. :(
Is it such a big deal?
Don't know enough about your status to say whether or not it is a big deal (e.g. did you have an LMIA or not?). Don't worry about correcting your profile, just correct it on your application and include a brief letter of explanation. Make sure your letter of reference from your employer covers both positions.

rekhabishop

Star Member
Jun 19, 2017
Don't know enough about your status to say whether or not it is a big deal (e.g. did you have an LMIA or not?). Don't worry about correcting your profile, just correct it on your application and include a brief letter of explanation. Make sure your letter of reference from your employer covers both positions.
I don't have an LMIA. My employer will be including both the positions.
How do I put it in the letter of reference so that it doesn't raise unnecessary eyebrows?

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
I don't have an LMIA. My employer will be including both the positions.
How do I put it in the letter of reference so that it doesn't raise unnecessary eyebrows?

Why would it raise eyebrows? People change positions within companies all the time. Although it is not mandatory for the letters to include the NOC, the fact that both positions are under the same NOC (assuming that is correct) would probably be a good thing to add.

Then, in your letter of explanation, you can explain that you listed it as one position on the profile because it was the same NOC, but now understand you should have listed it as different positions. It is very unlikely to be a problem.

damitdada

Star Member
Jul 3, 2017
No, you don't have to add it to your profile - only skilled work that you can document for points, as you will be asked for letters of referece & other documentation for anything you list in your profile.

If you get the ITA and then have to complete the application, you will have to list EVERYTHING then on your background history...
Hello, Sir...

Name on the Passport, Birth Certificate and all the Educational Credentials: Amitkumar Rameshchandra Trivedi

I have been in three different employment since earning my Ph.D.

For 1st and 2nd employment, my appointment letter, work experience letter, salary slips, and the bank account statement for has my name: Amit R. Trivedi.

However, in the 2nd employment, all the docs have my name is as per the passport, which is Amitkumar Rameshchandra Trivedi.

Should it be an issue at the time of e-APR? what about getting an affidavit- one and the same name....

Please help

Thanks in advance

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Hello, Sir...
For 1st and 2nd employment, my appointment letter, work experience letter, salary slips, and the bank account statement for has my name: Amit R. Trivedi.

However, in the 2nd employment, all the docs have my name is as per the passport, which is Amitkumar Rameshchandra Trivedi.

Should it be an issue at the time of e-APR? what about getting an affidavit- one and the same name....
Does not seem like a big issue to me, I don't believe an affidavit is necessary. But no harm in the affidavit either.

honeyk3g

Aug 10, 2017
Hi Guys
Need you advice
I am creating EE profile ,But stuck in work experience.I am working in company from last 10 years.I joined as Trainee and now working as Senior Manager.
While creating EE Profile do i need to mention all positions i worked from last 10 years like Trainee ,Asst Manager ,Manager & Senior Manager.
Or I should mention current designation ??
Many thanks