+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

work experience Pay slips and w2 missing

mdbilal

Sep 13, 2019
Hello,

I have experience of more than 3 years in the US. I worked for 2 different companies during this time.
I changed company last year...I have the reference letter from my previous company which have all the details about working hours, salary, location, job details, job title (as required by CIC) but I don't have any pay stubs and w2 (I am not able to find/retrieve it), but I have all the required information for past 1.5 years (from the time I am in this new company)

Do I need to show pay stubs and w2 for all the work years (I mean past company work experience) or Is it enough if I show them reference letter from that company with all the details in it?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello,

I have experience of more than 3 years in the US. I worked for 2 different companies during this time.
I changed company last year...I have the reference letter from my previous company which have all the details about working hours, salary, location, job details, job title (as required by CIC) but I don't have any pay stubs and w2 (I am not able to find/retrieve it), but I have all the required information for past 1.5 years (from the time I am in this new company)

Do I need to show pay stubs and w2 for all the work years (I mean past company work experience) or Is it enough if I show them reference letter from that company with all the details in it?
You can get copies of pay records from your previous employer.. You need to keep copies of you tax information for many years.

Reactions: mdbilal

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
Hello,

Not needed since the letter mentions the salary.

Reactions: mdbilal

techie12

Star Member
Feb 28, 2019
Is it mandatory to get reference letter from employer? What to do if any of the employer refuses to provide reference letter? Can we upload offer letter, salary increment letter and paystubs instead?

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
Is it mandatory to get reference letter from employer? What to do if any of the employer refuses to provide reference letter? Can we upload offer letter, salary increment letter and paystubs instead?
They need to see evidence of job duration, job duties, full-time status and compensation. Gather as much supporting evidence as you can to prove all these things. It may work, but not guaranteed. Also, add evidence that employer has refused to provide the letter such as an email from HR.

Reactions: techie12

techie12

Star Member
Feb 28, 2019
They need to see evidence of job duration, job duties, full-time status and compensation. Gather as much supporting evidence as you can to prove all these things. It may work, but not guaranteed. Also, add evidence that employer has refused to provide the letter such as an email from HR.
Thanks, we have just uploaded HR mail which says that they cannot provide a letter which includes all such details. So will the letter from a colleague with all the details work in such cases?

alex_ost04

Feb 5, 2021
As far as I know you have to show your W2 form. Your previous employer has to give you its copy. But to avoid such situations I'd recommend to fill such forms online, because that way you can save it and use any time you need it not asking for it your employer. You can find plenty of them like this one https://pdfliner.com/w2_form