+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work Experience (Need clarification)

Stanlee

VIP Member
Jan 29, 2016
nis4 said:
Thanks @stanlee, working on getting the letter notarized.
From your experience in the forum, do you know of people who still got accepted if the letter was not notarized?
Its been a challenge to get it done especially because I am in Canada right now.
There is no guidelines that letters which are not on company letterhead should be notarised, these all are extra or proactive steps taken by applicants to prove the genuineness of their letter. So would suggest to do whatever best you can do to prove the genuineness of your case. Provide as much information or documents which could help your case even without a reference letter which in fact is a mandatory document to prove work experience.

irosha

Star Member
Oct 2, 2014
Dear All,

Does contract work count if it is full time, continuous and paid?
Im a marketing manager for a small travel company , on their payroll but on contract , hence the company does not pay EPF or ETF for me.
will this be a problem going forward ? Also does the size of the company also matter? I work for a small family run travel company that also owns a hotel.. pls advice

yawer_Naved

Sep 6, 2016
Re: Work Experience (Need clarification urgent)

Hi everyone
I have worked for 8 months from 2013 to 2014 and they completed my masters after that and right now i have been working for a company since 10 september 2015 (exact 12 months)
so my question is: should i mention my 8 month work experience in express entry profile, as i wont be getting any points for that and i have to get a reference letter and go through so much trouble for nothing?.

kashjuni

Jul 28, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
irosha said:
Dear All,

Does contract work count if it is full time, continuous and paid?
Im a marketing manager for a small travel company , on their payroll but on contract , hence the company does not pay EPF or ETF for me.
will this be a problem going forward ? Also does the size of the company also matter? I work for a small family run travel company that also owns a hotel.. pls advice
Yes contract work counts. All the middle East people are always on contract and never permanent. Company size does not matter.

kashjuni

Jul 28, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Re: Work Experience (Need clarification urgent)

yawer_Naved said:
Hi everyone
I have worked for 8 months from 2013 to 2014 and they completed my masters after that and right now i have been working for a company since 10 september 2015 (exact 12 months)
so my question is: should i mention my 8 month work experience in express entry profile, as i wont be getting any points for that and i have to get a reference letter and go through so much trouble for nothing?.
Why will you not be getting job points for 8 months? The minimum requirement of 1 year continuous job is only for 1 job, rest of the jobs can be less than 1 year or more than 1 year.

istari

Champion Member
Jul 5, 2016
Australia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
yawer_Naved said:
are you sure cos i thought i has to be continuous work experience in the same designation?.
Only 1 year has to be continuous (and in your primary NOC).
All other work experience can be cumulative.

That said, you won't get points for that 8 months anyway, because the options for work experience in the CRS criteria are "1 or 2 years" or "3 or more years".

Marooned

Nov 14, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

In express entry work experience history page there is a question that asks:
The date you first became qualified to practice in this occupation.
I putted my graduation date in this field but I'm wondering if CIC counts my work experience before this date or not? what is this question exactly for?
I have 3 years of part-time work experience before this date but this question makes me feel unsure about counting that.

I would appreciate if anyone answer.
Thanks you.

yawer_Naved

Sep 6, 2016
istari said:
Only 1 year has to be continuous (and in your primary NOC).
All other work experience can be cumulative.

That said, you won't get points for that 8 months anyway, because the options for work experience in the CRS criteria are "1 or 2 years" or "3 or more years".
thanks . should i then mention it? , cos i don't think i'll be able to get the experience letter as the company i worked for is not operating anymore.
I have a CRS of 453 and as you said this wont affect my point , just wondering if i don't mention it , would that be a misrepresentation?

mandy.c

Sep 3, 2016
India
Category........
Visa Office......
Bangalore
App. Filed.......
02-05-2017
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront
Passport Req..
01-06-2017
VISA ISSUED...
01-06-2017
Hi,

I have about 4 years of experience with different employees. For the proof of employment, will it suffice to submit my offer letters, release letters and pay stubs? or do i have to ask each of those employers to issue fresh reference letters? Also, do the copies of these proofs have to be attested or just plain copies would do?

Would be great if you could guide me on this.

Thanks

istari

Champion Member
Jul 5, 2016
Australia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
yawer_Naved said:
thanks . should i then mention it? , cos i don't think i'll be able to get the experience letter as the company i worked for is not operating anymore.
I have a CRS of 453 and as you said this wont affect my point , just wondering if i don't mention it , would that be a misrepresentation?
If you're not claiming points for it, don't mention it in your Work History section.
But once you receive ITA, it must be mentioned in the Personal History section of your eAPR. This way, you don't need an experience letter.

Reactions: marceloml

istari

Champion Member
Jul 5, 2016
Australia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mandy.c said:
Hi,

I have about 4 years of experience with different employees. For the proof of employment, will it suffice to submit my offer letters, release letters and pay stubs? or do i have to ask each of those employers to issue fresh reference letters? Also, do the copies of these proofs have to be attested or just plain copies would do?

Would be great if you could guide me on this.

Thanks
Your proof of employment must contain the following information:
- start and end dates
- number of hours worked per week
- salary, including bonuses
- job title
- list of duties and responsibilities

If you can compile all of this information for each job, using a combination of other documents, that's okay.

Documents do not have to be attested.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Marooned said:
In express entry work experience history page there is a question that asks:
The date you first became qualified to practice in this occupation.
I putted my graduation date in this field but I'm wondering if CIC counts my work experience before this date or not? what is this question exactly for?

This question is just a logic check, and is really more useful for the skilled trades. If the work experience is in the same NOC and occurs before you say you are "qualified," then no, it won't count. If it is a different NOC, then it should count. If the NOC "generally requires a bachelors degree," then the date of your univ. graduation should be the date of qualification. If the NOC says "high school graduation" then you can use that date.

I have 3 years of part-time work experience before this date but this question makes me feel unsure about counting that.

Is the part-time work experience also in a skilled NOC? If not, you should not include it. If it IS skilled, then you can include it, but you may not need it, since there is a limit to the number of years you will earn points for... (the limit is 3 years assuming you're talking about foreign work experience).

Marooned

Nov 14, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you Jes_On for quick response,
My NOC is 2171.So what do you think?

yawer_Naved

Sep 6, 2016
istari said:
If you're not claiming points for it, don't mention it in your Work History section.
But once you receive ITA, it must be mentioned in the Personal History section of your eAPR. This way, you don't need an experience letter.
Thank you istari :)