Work Experience (Need clarification)

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
gur1122 said:
Hi Asivaad,

I have a big concern in regards to my current job documents I am working on in Canada. I got ITA under the FSW category and while I am going to check the upload docs page, its asking me for the "OFFER OF EMPLOYMENT", the issue is: in my express entry profile (when I created it), I have stated my current work as NOC 2172 (DATA ANALYST) as that was the position I was hired by my company initially. Then I was offered a permanent position and my job title was changed to SYSTEMS ANALYST (2171), however throughout these years, my duties, roles have remain the same as data Analyst and they fall under the 2172 category.

While on the offer of employment, my company provided me, the title is "SYSTEMS ANALYST", I am really confused and scared now on what to do? what would be the best way to tackle this? Do you think if my manager/director writes a letter of explanation with the OFFER LETTER, saying that since the duties have been the same on both contract and permanent position, my work experience should be counted under 2172, as that is the appropriate category to define my current job role? or you think it can lead to application rejection? as based on the duties, 2172 is the right place for me

any suggestions on this would help a great deal at the moment, thanks in advance!!
Ignore the job title. If your manager/HR can give you a reference letter which mentions your NOC as 2172 and/or mentions job responsibilities that match NOC 2172, you can upload that along with an LOE explaining the discrepancy between 'offer of employment' and 'reference letter'.

gur1122

Jul 27, 2015
Asivad Anac said:
Ignore the job title. If your manager/HR can give you a reference letter which mentions your NOC as 2172 and/or mentions job responsibilities that match NOC 2172, you can upload that along with an LOE explaining the discrepancy between 'offer of employment' and 'reference letter'.
Thanks Asivad,

so what I can do is attach the job offer letter I got as is, and have director give me LOE stating the job duties fall under the 2172 category (as well as the separate job reference letter explaining those duties as per NOC 2172) and explain the reason why company had to change the title after making me permanent (even though duties remain the same)? would that be enough to convince the CIC personnel?

Thanks again!

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
gur1122 said:
Thanks Asivad,

so what I can do is attach the job offer letter I got as is, and have director give me LOE stating the job duties fall under the 2172 category (as well as the separate job reference letter explaining those duties as per NOC 2172) and explain the reason why company had to change the title after making me permanent (even though duties remain the same)? would that be enough to convince the CIC personnel?

Thanks again!
That sounds good. Will it convince every single CIC officer - no idea.

gur1122

Jul 27, 2015
Asivad Anac said:
That sounds good. Will it convince every single CIC officer - no idea.
Thanks , do you think it still keeps me in a position where I might face a rejection on my application Asivad?

deepdeep13

Dec 7, 2014
Dear Friends/ Seniors ,

Need your advise asap , I have 3 years pgwp which is going to end in may 2016
current score is 454 whereas it should be 441

job started : dec 19 , 2013 ( 37.5 hours / week full time)
applied for cec : dec 19 , 2014
came back to india :dec 24 ,2014
cec file refused because of cap reached : march 10 ,2015
Came back to canada and joined same job : march 16,2015
job left on : june 17 ,2015
started new job on : july 13,2015 (40hours / week) and this is my current job as of feb 1

As per express entry profile I have 2 years exp and i am getting 53 points on my profile whereas i think i will complete my 2 years in the month of april .I am worried of getting my file refused ,as I have spent around 3 months in india and wasted 1 month in searching new job, I am expecting my ita this month , Please advise if I have 2 years exp or not ? ??? :( :( :eek:

Vinukrish

Jul 31, 2016
abiisharma said:
Currently, I am creating profile for Express entry. I possess 5 years of foreign work experience, NOC is throughout same but i have work experience in below manner:-

Company 1 :- 2.6 years
Job Search :- 8 months (Gap between two companies)
Company 2 :- 2.5 years

I have doubt in filling answers for below question in eligibility assessment

"In the last 10 years, how many years of skilled work experience do you have? It must have been continuous, paid, full-time (or an equal amount in part-time), and in only one occupation."

Will they consider my full work experience? Or my gap in between two companies will impact? I was actually searching job at that time.
Thanks in advance.
Dear Seniors and ABIISHARMA,

Thanks for looking into my query and your help in advance. I was searching for guidance to similar situation alike Abiisharma. At the moment, I am preparing to submit my EE application, but kind of having a similar situation like the one Abiisharma explained his post.

I have a foreign work experience of nearly 10 years ( outside Canada) but minor gaps between 1/2 weeks to less than a month, for relocation to another city. I am looking to exploit 3 years of foreign work experience for CRS calculation under skill transferability factors but I am not sure whether 1/2 weeks gap between employment acceptable for EE. I look forward to your kind advice on this.

The summary of my employment as follows,

Company A - Aug, 2005 - Sep, 2008
Higher education - Oct 2008 - Sep 2010 ( I reckon this will be a sure break)

Company B - Dec 2010 - 19 Sep 2012
[Relocation to another city for job change - 20 Sep 2012 - 30 Sep 2012 (10 days)]

Company C - 1 Oct 2012 - 24 May 2013
[Relocation & visit home - 25 May 2013 - 24 June 2013 (4 weeks)]

Company D - 24 June 2013 - 8 Jan 2014
[Relocation - 9 jan - 21 Jan (2 weeks)]

Company E - 22 Jan 2014 - Aug 2015

All the above jobs come under the same NOC and I am not sure whether these minor gaps between job changes ( even within the same month) affect the CONTINOUS work experience requirement.

1. Abiisharma, Could you please help me know, how did CIC consider in your case ? This will be of much help to plan my case.

2. Seniors, How much time period of gap between jobs is considered to be continuous ?

I will be much grateful, if seniors could shed some light on this. Thanks a lot. I look forward to your valuable replies.

Kind regards,
Vinu

Stanlee

VIP Member
Jan 29, 2016
Vinukrish said:
Dear Seniors and ABIISHARMA,

Thanks for looking into my query and your help in advance. I was searching for guidance to similar situation alike Abiisharma. At the moment, I am preparing to submit my EE application, but kind of having a similar situation like the one Abiisharma explained his post.

I have a foreign work experience of nearly 10 years ( outside Canada) but minor gaps between 1/2 weeks to less than a month, for relocation to another city. I am looking to exploit 3 years of foreign work experience for CRS calculation under skill transferability factors but I am not sure whether 1/2 weeks gap between employment acceptable for EE. I look forward to your kind advice on this.

The summary of my employment as follows,

Company A - Aug, 2005 - Sep, 2008
Higher education - Oct 2008 - Sep 2010 ( I reckon this will be a sure break)

Company B - Dec 2010 - 19 Sep 2012
[Relocation to another city for job change - 20 Sep 2012 - 30 Sep 2012 (10 days)]

Company C - 1 Oct 2012 - 24 May 2013
[Relocation & visit home - 25 May 2013 - 24 June 2013 (4 weeks)]

Company D - 24 June 2013 - 8 Jan 2014
[Relocation - 9 jan - 21 Jan (2 weeks)]

Company E - 22 Jan 2014 - Aug 2015

All the above jobs come under the same NOC and I am not sure whether these minor gaps between job changes ( even within the same month) affect the CONTINOUS work experience requirement.

1. Abiisharma, Could you please help me know, how did CIC consider in your case ? This will be of much help to plan my case.

2. Seniors, How much time period of gap between jobs is considered to be continuous ?

I will be much grateful, if seniors could shed some light on this. Thanks a lot. I look forward to your valuable replies.

Kind regards,
Vinu
As far as the question of continuous work experience is concerned, it is only to meet the minimum requirements of FSW (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/apply-who.asp). However, when considering your total work experience, the gaps will not be a matter of concern.

As far as CRS is concerned, you will get maximum points for 3 years work experience. However, please note you will also be assessed against FSW 67/100 minimum points requirement. In case of FSW 67/100 points assessment, you get maximum points for 6 years of work experience. Please check this link to know more http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/apply-factors.asp.

Meanwhile, if you want to calculate your CRS, you can use this calculator http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/crs-tool.asp

nis4

Star Member
Nov 16, 2015
I really need advice about the experience letter dilemna. Infosys HR have refised to provide letter as expected and have also written that no employee is authorized to provide. I was hoping to get it from my TL who is still working in Infosys. But given the HRs reply , i think including it now wohld be contradictory
I am thinking i now have three options :
1) submit a statutory declartion by self (not recommended as i can see above)
2) submit TL letter regardless and say that since employees are not authorized to provide, it is not on the letterhead.
3) get a letter from an ex colleague who does not work in infosys anymore but we worked on the same projects when in infosys.

Can somebody please advise

istari

Champion Member
Jul 5, 2016
Australia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
nis4 said:
I really need advice about the experience letter dilemna. Infosys HR have refised to provide letter as expected and have also written that no employee is authorized to provide. I was hoping to get it from my TL who is still working in Infosys. But given the HRs reply , i think including it now wohld be contradictory
I am thinking i now have three options :
1) submit a statutory declartion by self (not recommended as i can see above)
2) submit TL letter regardless and say that since employees are not authorized to provide, it is not on the letterhead.
3) get a letter from an ex colleague who does not work in infosys anymore but we worked on the same projects when in infosys.

Can somebody please advise
Options 2 and 3 are both fine. If you do this, also provide a cope of the letter from HR stating that neither they nor an employee can provide a reference letter.

nis4

Star Member
Nov 16, 2015
Thank you for replying!
Hope I can ask a fw follow up questions:
1) should this letter be notarized or a plain signature on a letter is fine?
2) I am kind of divided between options 2 or 3 i provided above. Option 3 will be easier for me to get but i am scared if the reference not being from a supervisor would be an issue.

istari

Champion Member
Jul 5, 2016
Australia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
nis4 said:
Thank you for replying!
Hope I can ask a fw follow up questions:
1) should this letter be notarized or a plain signature on a letter is fine?
Notarised.

2) I am kind of divided between options 2 or 3 i provided above. Option 3 will be easier for me to get but i am scared if the reference not being from a supervisor would be an issue.
Option 3 should be fine; many people have been successful using this method. But a letter from a supervisor would be better.

nis4

Star Member
Nov 16, 2015
Thank you so much istari. I am working to get the docs soon.
I am worried about a small detail though.
Assuming I get the reference letter from somebody who supervised me (Technology Analyst, not my manager) would it be appropriate to still include my salary details in that letter? or am I just overthinking this and can simply include them?

I am working to get a compensation letter from my company HR, but I am not able to even get that I am thinking to do this :-
  • Not include salaryd etails in the reference letter
  • Submit pay stubs, Form 16 and salary ceritficate for my period of employmeny

Will it be enough proof for my annual salary or an official letter will still be required showing it?

Stanlee

VIP Member
Jan 29, 2016
nis4 said:
Thank you so much istari. I am working to get the docs soon.
I am worried about a small detail though.
Assuming I get the reference letter from somebody who supervised me (Technology Analyst, not my manager) would it be appropriate to still include my salary details in that letter? or am I just overthinking this and can simply include them?

I am working to get a compensation letter from my company HR, but I am not able to even get that I am thinking to do this :-
  • Not include salaryd etails in the reference letter
  • Submit pay stubs, Form 16 and salary ceritficate for my period of employmeny

Will it be enough proof for my annual salary or an official letter will still be required showing it?
If the letter is issued by a colleague salary details should not be included in the letter as these details are generally confidential. As mentioned by you, submit the letter with pay stubs, Form 16 and Letter of Explanation. Ensure to submit business card and/or employee ID card of the colleague, if possible.

nis4

Star Member
Nov 16, 2015
Thanks @stanlee, working on getting the letter notarized.
From your experience in the forum, do you know of people who still got accepted if the letter was not notarized?
Its been a challenge to get it done especially because I am in Canada right now.