+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

will new immigration be allowed to into Canada?

realmj

Star Member
Jun 10, 2017
Today "Canada is barring entry to all travellers who are not Canadian citizens, permanent residents or Americans, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced today — one of a set of extraordinary new measures being introduced to stop the spread of COVID-19. "

does anyone know will new immigration holding one-time PR visa be allowed to into Canada?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Today "Canada is barring entry to all travellers who are not Canadian citizens, permanent residents or Americans, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced today — one of a set of extraordinary new measures being introduced to stop the spread of COVID-19. "

does anyone know will new immigration holding one-time PR visa be allowed to into Canada?
1. Unlikely as they are not a PR until they "land"

• Sad
Reactions: Belarusian

realmj

Star Member
Jun 10, 2017
here is official statement ---

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-special-measures.html?fbclid=IwAR0WOumUWf1EPak_J4dTkhMlxdiTthOlqTU_26aaMMqnH5ycRdgmiSA6_ss

If your permanent residence application has been approved, but you can't travel to Canada before your documents expire, use the web form to tell us why you can’t travel.

Once it’s possible for you to travel, use the web form to let us know. We’ll then give you more detailed instructions regarding restarting the processing of your permanent residence application.

Landing appointments will be held by telephone Latest update: March 15, 2020
Starting March 16, 2020, we’re cancelling all in-person permanent resident landing appointments until April 13, 2020.

If you had a landing appointment already booked, it will be held by telephone.

We’ll contact you by email to let you know when your phone appointment will be. Use the web form if you need to update your contact information.

If your confirmation of permanent residence has already expired
Use the web form to explain why you couldn’t travel.

Once it’s possible for you to travel, use the web form to let us know. We’ll then give you more detailed instructions regarding restarting the processing of your permanent residence application.

------
from above I am not seeing they are not allowed to travel to Canada, once they got approved.

Reactions: FVPupnorth

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Everyone should make sure to keep documentation of cancelled flights, proof of no available flights, etc. to justify their extensions.

Reactions: armoured

russ6970

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2017
Newfoundland
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
31-12-2020
If your status is going to expire, just submit an extension. You'll have Implied Status until IRCC processes the app.
I've got my PGWP until November. If they close I may need to apply for an OWP to go with my spousal app that is already in (didn't apply for one since I had PGWP). Mind you they have said on their website, that PR apps are still being processed as normal. Who knows, it's unchartered territory for everyone.

rockpaperwell

Mar 17, 2020
Vancouver
Category........
FAM
Hi! I sponsored my husband for PR (Spanish citizen) and he was approved/has his COPR. I too was wondering about him still being able to come with the new restrictions (in May was the plan and still is if he can get a flight), as technically he isn’t a PR yet, just approved. I guess for many of you that is an important distinction and we are still waiting for details and clarification.

But now I’ve read in a news article that immediate family members of Canadian citizens can still enter, so does that mean my spouse can enter regardless of his status (under current restrictions at least, who knows when they’ll change again)? Anyone know or seen this information formally from the Canadian govt, not just a news article? We are very lucky that he is my immediate family if this is the case. My heart goes out to all of you who are in more complicated, less certain situations.

Reactions: Belarusian

Greasewheel

Star Member
Apr 25, 2017
Hi! I sponsored my husband for PR (Spanish citizen) and he was approved/has his COPR. I too was wondering about him still being able to come with the new restrictions (in May was the plan and still is if he can get a flight), as technically he isn’t a PR yet, just approved. I guess for many of you that is an important distinction and we are still waiting for details and clarification.

But now I’ve read in a news article that immediate family members of Canadian citizens can still enter, so does that mean my spouse can enter regardless of his status (under current restrictions at least, who knows when they’ll change again)? Anyone know or seen this information formally from the Canadian govt, not just a news article? We are very lucky that he is my immediate family if this is the case. My heart goes out to all of you who are in more complicated, less certain situations.
I am in the same situation as you. I am in Thailand with my Thai wife, we received her COPR in January and were to travel back together on Apr.19. Flights are now drying up and I haven't got enough info not make a ticket purchase. Will they let her in? When I watch JT's speech he says that exceptions would be made for immediate family. I would interpret that to mean first landers would be let in but there seems to be a lot of uncertainty still. You can hear JT's comment at the 1:15 mark of this CBC clip. You need to scroll down a bit to find the video.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/coronavirus-outbreak-flights-canadians-abroad-return-1.5498961

I will also be appreciating any solid info.
Good luck to all.

Reactions: rockpaperwell

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I've got my PGWP until November. If they close I may need to apply for an OWP to go with my spousal app that is already in (didn't apply for one since I had PGWP). Mind you they have said on their website, that PR apps are still being processed as normal. Who knows, it's unchartered territory for everyone.
You are not at risk. You can just apply for an extension.

Reactions: russ6970

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

https://www.canada.ca/en/transport-canada/news/2020/03/new-measures-for-covid-19-response.html

For practical purposes, the denial of boarding would apply to:
  • all foreign nationals on flights to Canada other than trans-border flights, and
  • any foreign national on a trans-border flight who has resided outside the US and Canada in the last 14 days.
In simple terms, you cannot board a plane to Canada if you have been outside of Canada or the United States in the last 14 days, unless you are a Canadian Citizen, Canadian Permanent Resident or in transit to a 3rd country.

The measure will come into force on Wednesday, March 18, at 12:00 p.m. (noon) EDT. It would not apply to air crews, travelers arriving in Canada in transit to a third country, Canadian Permanent Residents, diplomats, or immediate family members of Canadian citizens.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I am in the same situation as you. I am in Thailand with my Thai wife, we received her COPR in January and were to travel back together on Apr.19. Flights are now drying up and I haven't got enough info not make a ticket purchase. Will they let her in? When I watch JT's speech he says that exceptions would be made for immediate family. I would interpret that to mean first landers would be let in but there seems to be a lot of uncertainty still. You can hear JT's comment at the 1:15 mark of this CBC clip. You need to scroll down a bit to find the video.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/coronavirus-outbreak-flights-canadians-abroad-return-1.5498961

I will also be appreciating any solid info.
Good luck to all.
You must submit proof that you were unable to travel. How did you not already have a ticket if you were planning on leaving within the next month?

Greasewheel

Star Member
Apr 25, 2017
You must submit proof that you were unable to travel. How did you not already have a ticket if you were planning on leaving within the next month?
Sorry, I don't understand what you are getting at. I arrived in Thailand on nov.22 with a return ticket for apr.19. Our application was approved and COPR and PR Visa stamp issued to us on Jan.9. So last month I purchased a one way ticket for my wife on the same flight as me.

Upon rereading I think I see the confusion. I was talking about buying new tickets to get back to Canada now. But there is confusion between the written info available about who can enter Canada and words spoken by JT. I am referring to him saying that immediate family members of Canadian citizens are allowed in. I still don't have that answer definitively.

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Sorry, I don't understand what you are getting at. I arrived in Thailand on nov.22 with a return ticket for apr.19. Our application was approved and COPR and PR Visa stamp issued to us on Jan.9. So last month I purchased a one way ticket for my wife on the same flight as me.
I apologize based on your previous posts it sounded like you didn’t have any tickets. You can include proof of previous flight cancellation if you need to get an extension for COPR.

Reactions: Greasewheel