+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Will my father get his PR card once his Medical Surveillance is completed?

extreme001

Star Member
Jan 5, 2015
White Plains, NY
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 19, 2015
AOR Received.
June 11, 2015
File Transfer...
July 27, 2015, IP: October 9, 2015, DM: November 26, 2015
Med's Done....
April 29, 2015
Passport Req..
November 27, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
December 8, 2015
LANDED..........
January 23, 2016 (YVR Airport)
Hello friends,

My parents just landed as Permanent Residents of Canada in Vancouver. During landing, my father received a form called IMM 0535 that requires him to do a Medical Surveillance due to some kind of historical but inactive TB issue.

His COPR also contains a Condition item mentioning that:

32. Must report for medical examination, surveillance or treatment, and at specified times and places, provide proof of compliance.

Also, under Medical Details section, his COPR contains a Surveillance code: 2.02.

I called the British Columbia public health authority and I was told we can disregard the rule that he has to complete the medical surveillance regarding TB test within 30 days of his landing due to the heavy backlogs at IRCC. Because there are heavy backlogs at IRCC, the British Columbia public health authority won't receive notice from IRCC and notify my father within 30 days of his landing. He needs to wait longer time to get the notification, ranging from a few weeks to a few months. So right now he is concerned that he would leave Canada in 2 - 3 months (as a soft landing this time), but still cannot receive the notification during this soft landing time, and therefore miss the appointment when the letter finally comes after he leaves Canada.

So, my concern is: Will he still get his Permanent Resident Card even if he hasn't completed his medical surveillance? Or will he receive the PR Card only after he completed the medical surveillance? Which one is correct? Thank you very much for your feedback and real experiences!

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello friends,

My parents just landed as Permanent Residents of Canada in Vancouver. During landing, my father received a form called IMM 0535 that requires him to do a Medical Surveillance due to some kind of historical but inactive TB issue.

32. Must report for medical examination, surveillance or treatment, and at specified times and places, provide proof of compliance.

Also, under Medical Details section, his COPR contains a Surveillance code: 2.02.

I called the British Columbia public health authority and I was told we can disregard the rule that he has to complete the medical surveillance regarding TB test within 30 days of his landing due to the heavy backlogs at IRCC. Because there are heavy backlogs at IRCC, the British Columbia public health authority won't receive notice from IRCC and notify my father within 30 days of his landing. He needs to wait longer time to get the notification, ranging from a few weeks to a few months. So right now he is concerned that he would leave Canada in 2 - 3 months (as a soft landing this time), but still cannot receive the notification during this soft landing time, and therefore miss the appointment when the letter finally comes after he leaves Canada.

So, my concern is: Will he still get his Permanent Resident Card even if he hasn't completed his medical surveillance? Or will he receive the PR Card only after he completed the medical surveillance? Which one is correct? Thank you very much for your feedback and real experiences!
I would think so, since others with a different conditional PR (thinking of Condition: 51 that was rescinded ~ 5 years ago); still received their PR cards). Granted, Condition: 51 was not a medically conditional PR. At the very least, try to get the part above (in red) confirmed by B.C. Health in writing.

Did you see this:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/medical-police/medical-exams/medical-surveillance.html

If you leave Canada

If you leave Canada, and you haven’t been contacted by the provincial or territorial public health authority yet, or you haven’t completed medical surveillance, here are the things you should do:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello friends,

would add that if he is only doing short landing he doesn’t qualify for MSP and shouldn’t apply.

extreme001

Star Member
Jan 5, 2015
White Plains, NY
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 19, 2015
AOR Received.
June 11, 2015
File Transfer...
July 27, 2015, IP: October 9, 2015, DM: November 26, 2015
Med's Done....
April 29, 2015
Passport Req..
November 27, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
December 8, 2015
LANDED..........
January 23, 2016 (YVR Airport)
would add that if he is only doing short landing he doesn’t qualify for MSP and shouldn’t apply.
Thanks and understand.

But is there anyone who also got the same "Condition 32" and still got his/her PR card before the medical surveillance was finally completed? Any recent experiences are highly appreciated!