+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Will CIC verify my work experience?, Pls i need your advice

zworks

Jun 2, 2016
Hi,

I know that CIC can verify language skills (IELTS,TEF etc..) and Educational qualifications (i.e. WES etc..).

But i am curious to know if they are going to verify my work experience also? If i provide a genuine work experience letter issued by my employer, will they call & make enough measures to verify if it's legitimate & true ?

Does this happen all the time or it happens rarely?

I am asking this because i am going to do the following:

My employer provided me a experience letter (UI Engineer) for 1.5 years of experience. But i am not satisfied with the job duties & description, so i am going to alter that section by reproducing the letter, just a color copy of the original letter with all details, but with only the job description/duties changed.
I intended to do so because i dont want to go to my previous employer's office & ask a new letter, for some reason.

But i am concerned that, will CIC ever contact my employer and if they contact they will also verify the job description?

Advices highly appreciated.
Thank you.

COPRQuestion

Aug 30, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa/Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-04-16
Doc's Request.
10-06-16
Med's Done....
Upfront
Passport Req..
12-08-16
VISA ISSUED...
29-08-16
LANDED..........
12-09-16
zworks said:
Hi,

I know that CIC can verify language skills (IELTS,TEF etc..) and Educational qualifications (i.e. WES etc..).

But i am curious to know if they are going to verify my work experience also? If i provide a genuine work experience letter issued by my employer, will they call & make enough measures to verify if it's legitimate & true ?

Does this happen all the time or it happens rarely?

I am asking this because i am going to do the following:

My employer provided me a experience letter (UI Engineer) for 1.5 years of experience. But i am not satisfied with the job duties & description, so i am going to alter that section by reproducing the letter, just a color copy of the original letter with all details, but with only the job description/duties changed.
I intended to do so because i dont want to go to my previous employer's office & ask a new letter, for some reason.

But i am concerned that, will CIC ever contact my employer and if they contact they will also verify the job description?

Advices highly appreciated.
Thank you.
So what you're saying is that you're going to amend an official document from your previous employer to make your role look better? My advise is to read through what you've written again and ask yourself whether this is the best course of action.

You say:

What is the 'some reason'?

Reactions: visatest

zworks

Jun 2, 2016
well, that reason is nothing related to my occupation, it's rather a personal reason that i don't like to go meet them again.

COPRQuestion

Aug 30, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa/Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-04-16
Doc's Request.
10-06-16
Med's Done....
Upfront
Passport Req..
12-08-16
VISA ISSUED...
29-08-16
LANDED..........
12-09-16
zworks said:
well, that reason is nothing related to my occupation, it's rather a personal reason that i don't like to go meet them again.
Fair enough, I have to admit I'm not 100% if they'll check or not, it depends on what type of visa you're going for.

Personally, I'd be more concerned about whether or not a future employer contacts them for a reference, sounds like they may not be all that positive about you.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Reproducing a letter that came from your employer in order to have it say something other than it does would be considered a forgery and if caught, you can look forward to being banned from Canada for several years. If you feel it's worth the risk, go ahead. Sometimes they do check up with employers.

COPRQuestion

Aug 30, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa/Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-04-16
Doc's Request.
10-06-16
Med's Done....
Upfront
Passport Req..
12-08-16
VISA ISSUED...
29-08-16
LANDED..........
12-09-16
Leon said:
Reproducing a letter that came from your employer in order to have it say something other than it does would be considered a forgery and if caught, you can look forward to being banned from Canada for several years. If you feel it's worth the risk, go ahead. Sometimes they do check up with employers.
100% agree with Leon, completely up to you but not sure you're going to find anyone who would say this is a good idea.

karmayogi

Jun 6, 2016
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Doc's Request.
23-01-2017 [IMM5475E]
AOR Received.
09-01-2017
Yo! This is not legal and/or ethical by any standards! The best course for you would be the following,

1. Try meeting your fears/nemesis head-on, go meet your ex employer, and explain your situation, my guess is you might end up getting the letter you want with much ease.

2. If 1 doesn't work, contact your friendly supervisor or an ex-colleague to see if they can attest the job duties & responsibilities that you have performed that aligns with the NOC.

Keep it clean, i'd say.

JamtoCanlove

Oct 19, 2016
They have access to all of your information. They don't necessarily need to contact an employer to find out if you lied about working somewhere. They can review banking information and more if they suspect fraud. Signing and submitting an application is an agreement that allows them to investigate you to the full extent. If everything is straight forward, they will have less of a reason to do an in depth investigation.

Do not make up work experience. The problems that can arise from them finding out that you lied about any aspect of your application is not worth it. If you would like to add additional information surrounding your position, you are welcome to attach a letter with more information and details surrounding your experience.

They look at different things on each application, so there's no way to be sure they won't investigate but also no way to be sure that they will.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi guys is there anyone here from UAE who applied for a work permit? Does CIC call the HR to verify your work experience? I need an answer pls.. Thanks
Yes - sometimes they will call HR to verify.

LifeDreamer

Feb 14, 2018
IRCC always verifies employment. The visa officers verify irrelevant employment history for spouses of study permit applicants who apply for temporary visas so you can imagine what they do to skilled workers who are applying to stay permanently. The fact that no calls are made only means they were able to verify employment by other means such as LinkedIn/social media profiles and other available public information through 3rd party agencies without necessarily interrupting your work.

If you just want to alter the duties listed in your reference letter you should know that, aside from being a criminal offense, it is actually going to work against you and not in your favor! This is because if your listed duties were covering all NOC points and painted to make you look in the best way possible you'd be giving the invaluable opportunity to the visa officer to deem it as self-serving and reject your PR in the process even if your supervisor had confirmed it, basically shooting yourself in the foot. The most successful kind of a reference letter is the one that actually looks average. Visa officers feel at ease when they see a reference letter missing one or two key points (and that's ok) or when the letter contains irrelevant duties or information the applicant doesn't like to see such as an extended absence, because they know for certain then that the letter is genuine and is a true representation of your job. Remember that the visa officers are not here to hire you or judge what you do for work their job is solely verifying what you say and if its true they stamp your papers away and then forget about you, so chances are your not-so-good-looking letter already accomplishes this goal perfectly without needing any unnecessary embellishments. Don't spoil your PR over a stupid mistake like this.

bimale4bipeople

VIP Member
Apr 15, 2018
IRCC always verifies employment. The visa officers verify irrelevant employment history for spouses of study permit applicants who apply for temporary visas so you can imagine what they do to skilled workers who are applying to stay permanently. The fact that no calls are made only means they were able to verify employment by other means such as LinkedIn/social media profiles and other available public information through 3rd party agencies without necessarily interrupting your work.

If you just want to alter the duties listed in your reference letter you should know that, aside from being a criminal offense, it is actually going to work against you and not in your favor! This is because if your listed duties were covering all NOC points and painted to make you look in the best way possible you'd be giving the invaluable opportunity to the visa officer to deem it as self-serving and reject your PR in the process even if your supervisor had confirmed it, basically shooting yourself in the foot. The most successful kind of a reference letter is the one that actually looks average. Visa officers feel at ease when they see a reference letter missing one or two key points (and that's ok) or when the letter contains irrelevant duties or information the applicant doesn't like to see such as an extended absence, because they know for certain then that the letter is genuine and is a true representation of your job. Remember that the visa officers are not here to hire you or judge what you do for work their job is solely verifying what you say and if its true they stamp your papers away and then forget about you, so chances are your not-so-good-looking letter already accomplishes this goal perfectly without needing any unnecessary embellishments. Don't spoil your PR over a stupid mistake like this.
Good information tbh
@mmahmud some useful info for you

Icemonkey

Jun 15, 2021
Hello everyone,

I hope someone will enlighten my case. To begin, I am in the Philippines (filipino)
I am currently applying as a tfw labourer in Quebec. I have just passed the initial interview and is now processing to complete my papers to be submitted for LMIA.
Here is my sentiment.
I have worked in Alberta in Jan 2014 with a valid tfw visa. To cut the story short, I did not like how they treat people there so I resigned. . After saving enough to buy my ticket, I went home to the Philippines even if my Visa is still valid for 9-10 months more. I went home in May 2015. I was not able to return to Canada but I dont have any bad record and I never overstayed there. What's bothering me is I did not put this on my resume for reasons that they might ask why I am not able to finish my contract or for an employment certificate. My question is, do they keep records of work visas/permits of temporary foreign workers?, will they be able to know about my previous work visa? I did not declare this on my resume and on some forms I did not state that I used to work in Canada before. Please help. Tell me if my I should still go on with my application.
Thank you

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hello everyone,

I hope someone will enlighten my case. To begin, I am in the Philippines (filipino)
I am currently applying as a tfw labourer in Quebec. I have just passed the initial interview and is now processing to complete my papers to be submitted for LMIA.
Here is my sentiment.
I have worked in Alberta in Jan 2014 with a valid tfw visa. To cut the story short, I did not like how they treat people there so I resigned. . After saving enough to buy my ticket, I went home to the Philippines even if my Visa is still valid for 9-10 months more. I went home in May 2015. I was not able to return to Canada but I dont have any bad record and I never overstayed there. What's bothering me is I did not put this on my resume for reasons that they might ask why I am not able to finish my contract or for an employment certificate. My question is, do they keep records of work visas/permits of temporary foreign workers?, will they be able to know about my previous work visa? I did not declare this on my resume and on some forms I did not state that I used to work in Canada before. Please help. Tell me if my I should still go on with my application.
Thank you
Not sure about resume but hiding fact (the same as lying) is not a good start with you employer.

For official work permit application, you have to delcare all previous visas and immigration do keep records of all work, study and visitor visa. If you "hide" it, you are committing misrepresentation.