+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Who else is scared and frustrated about lack of CEC draws?

MarianaRM

Sep 11, 2017
Hello everyone,

I believe my story is similar to the stories of many people here.

I came to Canada as student, got a PGWP, was hit by COVID and all the changes on Canada immigration policies. It's clear that Canada is focusing on bringing people from abroad instead of make our transition to PR smooth.

It's nice they extended PGWP, but this doesn't end the vulnerability of our situation in Canada. Last year, when they announced the special program to facilitate transition from WP to PR many of us were unemployed, waiting times for English proficiency tests were very long so we were unable to applied for that opportunity.

I'm thinking about reaching a member of Parliament and the media about this issue, since I don't think we have any representation or association for EE applicants. Would someone else be available to help?
It would be to contact MPs and media.

Cheers,

Mariana

SatNight

Dec 2, 2017
CEC draws were Covid anomaly. They are not a regular thing. I actually think new C-19 bill and targeted draws will help those in Canada more than those outside. I do think FSW have more to worry about.

But I wouldn't expect CEC only draws. CEC candidates generally have more points than FSW so it wouldn't make sense to have CEC only draws.

Economist9

Star Member
Dec 3, 2021
CEC specifically need not be drawn. But all program draws have become so unpredictable that there seems to be no room for CEC candidates.

The maximum a CEC candidate can score is 501, with a perfect English score, less than 30 years of age, a Master's and 1 year Canadian work experience. Now with the NOC based draws, we don't know if 501 is going to be enough to get an invite. For people spending years of their lives being uprooted, and now contributing to Canada by working everyday, this is too much uncertainty. It is what it is though.

If someone starts learning French now, then it'll take at least 1 to 1.5 years. By that time the system and requirements will change again.

Last edited:

Economist9

Star Member
Dec 3, 2021
Hello everyone,

I came to Canada as student, got a PGWP, was hit by COVID and all the changes on Canada immigration policies. It's clear that Canada is focusing on bringing people from abroad instead of make our transition to PR smooth.

It's nice they extended PGWP, but this doesn't end the vulnerability of our situation in Canada. Last year, when they announced the special program to facilitate transition from WP to PR many of us were unemployed, waiting times for English proficiency tests were very long so we were unable to applied for that opportunity.

I'm thinking about reaching a member of Parliament and the media about this issue, since I don't think we have any representation or association for EE applicants. Would someone else be available to help?

Cheers,

Mariana
I completely agree. I wonder why the media doesn't cover this.

With the NOC based draws, the chances have become so low for CEC candidates with even Master's degrees. So unfortunate.

SatNight

Dec 2, 2017
CEC specifically need not be drawn. But all program draws have become so unpredictable that there seems to be no room for CEC candidates.

The maximum a CEC candidate can score is 501, with a perfect English score, less than 30 years of age, a Master's and 1 year Canadian work experience. Now with the NOC based draws, we don't know if 501 is going to be enough to get an invite. For people spending years of their lives being uprooted, and now contributing to Canada by working everyday, this is too much uncertainty. It is what it is though.

If someone starts learning French now, them it'll take at least 1 to 1.5 years. By that time the system and requirements will change again.
This is incorrect. My wife (principal candidate) is 41 and she had 504 points. With French, true, but it's possible. But French is an option for everyone. The thing is, CEC candidates can get more points than FSW candidates. That's simply a fact. This is why CEC only draws make no sense because most candidates invited in the regular draws are CEC anyway. Even with a CEC draw I doubt the numbers would be much lower.

I do agree that corona made the whole process more stressful because work permits are expiring and people are getting out of status (not everyone affected could claim 18 month extension - if your work permit expired before a certain date and after January 1, 2023, you are not eligible for extension, and it's unfair because so many people are in this situation). I do think they either need to rethink work permit possibility for CEC people, or to have a specific rules for CEC people once category draws start (which I think they will - even before Express Entry Canadian graduates and people working in Canada were not subjected to category selection when those from other countries were). But CEC only draws make no sense because most people invited through regular draws are CEC anyway.

SatNight

Dec 2, 2017
With the NOC based draws, the chances have become so low for CEC candidates with even Master's degrees. So unfortunate.
I could be wrong - and I hate that they are not transparent about this - but there is no guarantee that CEC candidates will be subjected to categories. They also said they will keep regular draws along with category draws, AND there is an indication that Canadian education and work experience might bring more points. Tbh, FSW have more to fear from category draws than CEC candidates.

Still, learning French is a better option because they need to fulfil Francophone immigration outside of Quebec and this will stay for a few years (at least until the end of 2024). There are people on this forum who managed to reach the required level in about 6 months. Yes, it requires a lot of work and it's not easy, and yes, the situation is very different to how it was when we arrived in Canada (the rules of immigration changed so much), but if one's goal is immigration, then sadly one has to play by their rules.

They only want a specific number of immigrants, and don't care if it's you or that person over there. You have to fight for that spot, and if another CEC candidate has 510 points then they will be selected. They are equally CEC as someone with 475 points. As in, I don't think there is an argument to be made on why the system is against CEC if they are selecting CEC candidates and most people invited in those high numbers are CEC.

Argument needs to be made elsewhere, for example, that if immigration rules change so much compared to what they were when you arrived/got your work permit, then maybe people can have an extension on their work permit so they can organize themselves. Or something along those lines. But I doubt it would happen, because, again, they are getting CEC candidates and Express Entry was always about rankings and the fact that top ranking candidates are selected (= those with lower scores are not).

MarianaRM

Sep 11, 2017
This is incorrect. My wife (principal candidate) is 41 and she had 504 points. With French, true, but it's possible. But French is an option for everyone. The thing is, CEC candidates can get more points than FSW candidates. That's simply a fact. This is why CEC only draws make no sense because most candidates invited in the regular draws are CEC anyway. Even with a CEC draw I doubt the numbers would be much lower.

I do agree that corona made the whole process more stressful because work permits are expiring and people are getting out of status (not everyone affected could claim 18 month extension - if your work permit expired before a certain date and after January 1, 2023, you are not eligible for extension, and it's unfair because so many people are in this situation). I do think they either need to rethink work permit possibility for CEC people, or to have a specific rules for CEC people once category draws start (which I think they will - even before Express Entry Canadian graduates and people working in Canada were not subjected to category selection when those from other countries were). But CEC only draws make no sense because most people invited through regular draws are CEC anyway.
Canada has been my home for almost 5 years and I have no guarantee I'm not gonna be sent out of my home until I'm a PR. FSW applicants are waiting at their homes. I know is frustrating as well, but nothing compares to the fear of having to leave my home.

I'm learning French, but who says that until I'm ready to the proficiency test the rules will not change again?

And as a practical way, we're already adapted to the country = less costs, since we don't need as much support. And I'm saying that just to show the inefficiency of the current migratory policy for a government perspective.

Economist9

Star Member
Dec 3, 2021
Canada has been my home for almost 5 years and I have no guarantee I'm not gonna be sent out of my home until I'm a PR. FSW applicants are waiting at their homes. I know is frustrating as well, but nothing compares to the fear of having to leave my home.

I'm learning French, but who says that until I'm ready to the proficiency test the rules will not change again?

And as a practical way, we're already adapted to the country = less costs, since we don't need as much support. And I'm saying that just to show the inefficiency of the current migratory policy for a government perspective.
I agree. Even with a 3 year PGWP, it's like a ticking bomb now as to whether our status will be valid long enough until our score meets the threshold required for an invite.

If you don't mind, could you give some advice on how you're learning French? I would have to start from scratch if I have to learn.

Reactions: klubsoda

cz999

Feb 1, 2020
NOC Code......

If someone starts learning French now, then it'll take at least 1 to 1.5 years. By that time the system and requirements will change again.
501s are going to be fine. Trust me I was one (exactly as you described). The brief pause last month was likely due to the NOC changes, it sucks but it’s only a one-month delay. Next draw the cut-off is going to be below 500. Even with NOC specific draws they mentioned conventional all-program draws are going to be continue alongside the NOC draws, so while the cutoffs are going to be higher than pre-covid I don’t think it’s going to be higher than 490. Also they mentioned they are going to target temporary residents and international students in their policy announcements too so likely there will be some specific draws targeting those candidates. Don’t be too anxious, try to increase your scores however you can and you will be fine. Looking at the bigger picture, the overall immigration quota has gone up significantly in the last few years.

Economist9

Star Member
Dec 3, 2021
501s are going to be fine. Trust me I was one (exactly as you described). The brief pause last month was likely due to the NOC changes, it sucks but it’s only a one-month delay. Next draw the cut-off is going to be below 500. Even with NOC specific draws they mentioned conventional all-program draws are going to be continue alongside the NOC draws, so while the cutoffs are going to be higher than pre-covid I don’t think it’s going to be higher than 490. Also they mentioned they are going to target temporary residents and international students in their policy announcements too so likely there will be some specific draws targeting those candidates. Don’t be too anxious, try to increase your scores however you can and you will be fine. Looking at the bigger picture, the overall immigration quota has gone up significantly in the last few years.
Thank you so much for your reply and kind words - they are very uplifting. I too hope that the cut off will be manageable...

I wish IRCC gave more information on how the NOC-based draws are going to be implemented.

Reactions: cz999

SatNight

Dec 2, 2017

I understand all of this, believe me. My wife arrived in 2014 to study. Our work permits expire at the end of April. It means we were not included in the work permit extension policy. We got invited on October 12, but we know exactly the feeling you are talking about. All of this is a real problem. This is why I mentioned better handling of work permits and giving people status in Canada until thing around PR invitations that were messed up with corona are not resolved.

But the truth remains that most people invited at these high scores are CEC, so I don't think it's worse for CEC than FSW. Especially since I do agree with the above poster that 501 is a good score AND that they seem to want to keep people who are already in the country. The next system (category draws) might also include added benefits for CEC candidates, because I do think they value us as immigrants who have already proven they can adapt to Canada, find jobs and be useful for the economy (which FSW are yet to prove. And let's face it, Canadian employers like Canadian experience so it's a plus for CEC candidates and immigration knows this).

cz999

Feb 1, 2020
NOC Code......
Thank you so much for your reply and kind words - they are very uplifting. I too hope that the cut off will be manageable...

I wish IRCC gave more information on how the NOC-based draws are going to be implemented.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/transparency/consultations/2022-consultations-express-entry-selection.html
If you haven't read this, take a look. It's got some insights especially arounnd potential categories.

Reactions: Economist9

Economist9

Star Member
Dec 3, 2021

GandiBaat

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2014
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26th September 2021
Doc's Request.
Old Medical
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
26th September 2021
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
11-01-2022
Med's Request
Not Applicable, Old Meds
Med's Done....
Old Medical
Interview........
Not Applicable
Passport Req..
22-02-2022
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2022
LANDED..........
24-02-2022
Hello everyone,

Cheers,

Mariana
There is nothing called as CEC draws. The ones that happened in 2021 were a covid only thing. There are EE draws that include CEC, FSW, FST and PNP too.

And ummm... let me be honest, you folks are from abroad. Studying here for few years does not make you "native" or whatever you are implying.

As far as suitability goes, CEC already gives credit to your in-Canada degree by giving you extra points (30 additional points). Get your job offer in NOC A and B and you will have 50 more points. Get few years of work experience in canada and thats upto 50 additional points. I know some provinces even give nomination just based on the fact that you have graduated from a university in that province (even without a job offer). BC PNP international post graduate scheme does that for international science and engineering grads from BC.

I don't know why you still need a "CEC only" draw.

PS : I am a former CEC applicant.

Last edited:

GandiBaat

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2014
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26th September 2021
Doc's Request.
Old Medical
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
26th September 2021
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
11-01-2022
Med's Request
Not Applicable, Old Meds
Med's Done....
Old Medical
Interview........
Not Applicable
Passport Req..
22-02-2022
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2022
LANDED..........
24-02-2022
Did you add 50 points for job offer in Canada? If you have 1 year of work exp in Canada, very likely your employer will be okay to hire you permanently if you get a PR. Put that job offer and total become 551: more than enough for qualifying.

If you still have problems, go for PNP. Some of them do not even need a job offer if you have graduated from a univ in the province.

BC PNP gives you PNP for graduating from a province's univ in science and engineering.