Med's Done....
06/10/15
Passport Req..
19/10/2015
VISA ISSUED...
30/10/2015
LANDED..........
ttrajan said:
Choose between Toronto, Vancouver, Calgary and Edmonton.
What about Ottowa?

Thanks.

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
rajkamalmohanram said:
Well.. Its presence in the GTA (only 40 minute drive to Toronto). Lower rents than Toronto. Significant number of Indians here.

Mississauga is good, isn't it? :)
well it is good, but all depends on where you will be working.

I'm not an expert in mississauga...but i've observed that the areas around square one, or near lakeshore west Go stations such as port credit are as expensive as toronto, considering also that the amount of jobs available in toronto cannot be compared to mississauga..so hence i don't see why mississauga would suit a newcomer more.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
emamabd said:
well it is good, but all depends on where you will be working.

I'm not an expert in mississauga...but i've observed that the areas around square one, or near lakeshore west Go stations such as port credit are as expensive as toronto, considering also that the amount of jobs available in toronto cannot be compared to mississauga..so hence i don't see why mississauga would suit a newcomer more.
Alright, thanks for your him time! I will take your opinion into account!! :)

Rogery

Oct 19, 2015
Friends,

We planned to land Toronto in Dec 2015. People say it's the first priority for newcomers. But there is a problem with my wife: she's pregnant now for 3 months and expect to deliver in May 2016. If we land in Toronto then there is no health insurance in the first 3 months ie. till end of March 2016 and during that time we have to bear all the check-up cost that I really have no idea how much.

Any experts here can advise how much it will cost for pregnancy check up while we are waiting for health insurance? Or we should choose other provinces with shorter waiting time like Calgary or Manitoba that I heard can get immediate health insurance?

Good day!

Dr. Tario

Star Member
Oct 25, 2015
Rogery said:
Friends,

We planned to land Toronto in Dec 2015. People say it's the first priority for newcomers. But there is a problem with my wife: she's pregnant now for 3 months and expect to deliver in May 2016. If we land in Toronto then there is no health insurance in the first 3 months ie. till end of March 2016 and during that time we have to bear all the check-up cost that I really have no idea how much.

Any experts here can advise how much it will cost for pregnancy check up while we are waiting for health insurance? Or we should choose other provinces with shorter waiting time like Calgary or Manitoba that I heard can get immediate health insurance?

Good day!
Its advised to land in Alberta or Edmonton since u will be needing the health care facility upon landing as theirs kick off immediately especially if u don't wanna spend a dine then maybe after the 3month period elapse u can now relocate to Toronto or better yet after having the baby. Cheers

Dr. Tario

Star Member
Oct 25, 2015
Rogery said:
Friends,

Good day!
Its advised to land in Alberta or Edmonton since u will be needing the health care facility upon landing as theirs kick off immediately especially if u don't wanna spend a dine then maybe after the 3month period elapse u can now relocate to Toronto or better yet after having the baby. Cheers

rumel

Champion Member
Jan 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
2173(Software Engr)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-06-2014
Doc's Request.
04-03-2015 Doc Received : 25-03-2015
Nomination.....
22-10-2014
AOR Received.
01-12-2014
File Transfer...
. Second Line : 06-08-2015
Med's Request
28-09-2015
Med's Done....
03-10-2015 Med Received : 14-10-2015
Passport Req..
06-11-2015 Passport Sent.: 08-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
16-11-2015 Passport Received: 06-12-2015
LANDED..........
10-03-2016
qorax said:
WHICH CITY TO LAND? -for FSW without AEO & friends/relatives

My opinion: TORONTO.
-It has a bigger job basket, for any occupation. Thus, the share is bigger -so the opportunities are larger.
-Weather wise, it is not that bad. Perfectly manageable even in winters or summers.
-Cost of living wise, quite Ok too -quite compititive vis-a-vis the other deciding factors.
-The higest minority populace. Ppl are extremely tolerant to race, color, creed, faith etc.
-Land there first, take a 'survival job', which'll be easier here & move to any city after getting the choice job.
-Important: It's not the profession of a newcomer, but the initial survival that'd be the decider for a city.

VANCOUVER:
Very aptly said by others before on this forum. It's the best city weather wise & has a charmed beauty. Quite nice minority populace, yes -Indians rock here. But, better avoided.
-No or minimal jobs today for any field. (note: the winter olympics thing is temp)
-The costliest city to settle down.
-Housing costs are sky rocketting.
-Not at all a good choice for a newcomer, w/out AOE or friends/relatives support.
-What's the point of all that beauty, if u do not have money in ur pocket?

CALGARY-EDMONTON CORRIDOR:
Very nicely coming-up. Weather is cold, but adjustable [Edmonton needs adaptation though]. Has the 'rockies' to enhance its beauty. A perfect alternative to Vancouver. But:
-Newcomers should take it as a 2nd choice to Toronto. Due to the factors I said under Toronto.
-Damn good for establishing a business. (no provincial tax)
-Essentially a befitting place for Oil & Gas sector, which also makes other jobs available in their HOs.
-But remember again: For newcomer jobs, take Toronto as POE.

There is nothing wrong in other Canadian cities. But this post is meant for newcomers, looking for instant jobs, not for business; and for those who do not have an AOE or freinds/relatives to initially assist. Else, any other city has its own merits/demerits.

Ps: I have visited all the above cities. But my views are based on limited info. The actual residents, who are on this forum, might have a better opinion.
Great

+1 brother.. :)

djgt

Oct 27, 2014
rumel said:
Great

+1 brother.. :)
Hi,

As i am planning to land near by in Canada i am little bit confused about choice of province. As i have got visa under FSW 2014 in that i have mention my interest to settle down in Calgary (alberta) but now i want to settle down in Brampton (Ontario). In my COPR they have mention intersted city Edmonton but in visa it is IM -1 so my agent is telling me you can get down aby where in Canada except Quebec Province. So, will officer at toronto airport ask me that why are you landing here instead of Alberta? I am very much confused in this.

So need expert advice from all you expert people who are landed or planning to land there.

Regards,

Thanks in advance..............

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
djgt said:
Hi,

As i am planning to land near by in Canada i am little bit confused about choice of province. As i have got visa under FSW 2014 in that i have mention my interest to settle down in Calgary (alberta) but now i want to settle down in Brampton (Ontario). In my COPR they have mention intersted city Edmonton but in visa it is IM -1 so my agent is telling me you can get down aby where in Canada except Quebec Province. So, will officer at toronto airport ask me that why are you landing here instead of Alberta? I am very much confused in this.

So need expert advice from all you expert people who are landed or planning to land there.

Regards,

Thanks in advance..............
As an FSW immigrant you are free to land and live anywhere in canada (some restrictions would apply for quebec only). nothing to worry about, if asked (and i don't think you would)..you can just say you changed your mind.

djgt

Oct 27, 2014
emamabd said:
As an FSW immigrant you are free to land and live anywhere in canada (some restrictions would apply for quebec only). nothing to worry about, if asked (and i don't think you would)..you can just say you changed your mind.
Thanks Brother which is the best city to settle down in Ontario and how is job scenario over there.............

Regards

rumel

Champion Member
Jan 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
2173(Software Engr)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-06-2014
Doc's Request.
04-03-2015 Doc Received : 25-03-2015
Nomination.....
22-10-2014
AOR Received.
01-12-2014
File Transfer...
. Second Line : 06-08-2015
Med's Request
28-09-2015
Med's Done....
03-10-2015 Med Received : 14-10-2015
Passport Req..
06-11-2015 Passport Sent.: 08-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
16-11-2015 Passport Received: 06-12-2015
LANDED..........
10-03-2016
poison said:
I will start my post by saying "No offenses, Qorax". I am just expressing my views and experience after living in Canada for (almost) 5 years and having lived, visited, and worked in all 3 major job hubs listed above.

Toronto: This is where I live at the moment. Superb city, vibrant, dynamic, fast ~ I am running out of adjectives. This is the biggest with most jobs and most competitors at the same time. It is significantly challenging to get a job break in the field that you belong, reason being tough competition from tons of immigrants like us. I was lucky enough that my employer supported me in moving from Vancouver to Toronto and I was saved from job hunting. Cost of living depends upon your lifestyle but in my experience, it is surely higher than the other two. Fuel, milk, and property purchase are less expensive than Vancouver, apart from that everything is expensive in Toronto. Fuel is cheaper but at the same time car insurance is high, so if you make an annual calculation it either breaks-even or go high. On the positive side, due to Toronto being the first choice to land for most of the immigrants, you will find nice and helpful communities for each ethnicity/race/culture/religion.

Calgary/Edmonton: This is where I worked (commuted every week for 1.5 years). With the slide in oil boom, there is a lot of uncertainty hovering on existing jobs. Needless to say that it significantly impacts the new job postings. Smaller cities, friendlier, more family time, and low cost of living are on the plus side. Weather is definitely on the minus side. Edmonton boasts more government jobs (being provincial capital) and Calgary has more private sector jobs.

Vancouver: This is where I lived for 4 years and my POE to Canada. Green, beautiful, and 'live your life' are few adjectives that click my mind. Usually it is marketed as one of the most diverse cities in the world, but I disagree with that. There are pre-dominantly only three diversities that rule Vancouver. Regarding jobs, very less from industry perspective except tourism and timber. More service class and stable; not as many jobs as Toronto but less competition as well. Cost of buying a property can be super high but at the same time rentals are very less expensive. For most immigrants like me, we look at rent expenditure first. Weather wise it is not as cold as rest of Canada but to live in Vancouver, you will have to love 'rain'. Overall, a fantastic city if you get a descent job. I was lucky enough to get a job that I 'wanted' and I am not denying the fact that Vancouver is the city which gave me whatever I have today in Canada. Again, it does not necessarily mean that the same can be true to others.

On the whole, I would recommend you do your homework about the job/business prospects in your own field in each of the cities. Do not look at the size of the city or natural beauty or even your community preferences. None of these things are going to come to pay your bills and put the food on the table.

All the best.
Its really very informative brother.

+1

I have a friend in Mississauga. He told me to move there and also the driving distance is 30-40 mints to Toronto. If any interview in Toronto, I can go from Mississauga. Thats why he suggest to go Mississauga. He also share that Mississauga is better for migrant.

But most of the people around me and who are staying Ottawa, Alberta told me to go to Toronto. But I am thinking about the initial settlement as I am new. Dont know what to do. Little bit confused. :-[ :-[

aks2010

Star Member
May 7, 2011
Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
New Delhi / Warsaw
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
23-09-2014; Lawyer/consultant hired?: No.; PER Received.: 07-01-2015
AOR Received.
03-02-2015
File Transfer...
22-04-2015
Med's Request
15-05-2015
Med's Done....
20-05-2015; Med's Results Rcvd: 26-05-2015;
Passport Req..
22-07-2015; Decision Made:25-07-2015; Passport Submitted: 27-07-2015
VISA ISSUED...
22-07-2015; Passport Returned: 31-07-2015
LANDED..........
08-10-2015;ECAS Status:Complete 31-10-2015
rumel said:
Its really very informative brother.

+1

I have a friend in Mississauga. He told me to move there and also the driving distance is 30-40 mints to Toronto. If any interview in Toronto, I can go from Mississauga. Thats why he suggest to go Mississauga. He also share that Mississauga is better for migrant.

But most of the people around me and who are staying Ottawa, Alberta told me to go to Toronto. But I am thinking about the initial settlement as I am new. Dont know what to do. Little bit confused. :-[ :-[
Please don't be confused. Mississauga is always a good choice. Just make sure you stay within walkable distance to public transport.

Reactions: suniljoseph12061977