+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

when given instructions/answers/advice from CIC call centre employees?

volkov

Sep 20, 2014
I have heard people on this forum insisting that the CIC call centre employees shouldn't be taken as correct in many situations, and say that they have given out incorrect advice before

this makes for a ridiculous situation if one was to get in trouble for following CIC's own advice

so my question is, how can one protect themselves from trouble? are we allowed to record our phone conversation with the CIC call centre? can we request that they e-mail us a short statement of the advice so we have something in e-mail print to protect ourselves in following their advice?

Mardek

Star Member
Oct 16, 2013
St Petersburg, Russia
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-10-2015
Doc's Request.
RPRF request 21-04-2016
AOR Received.
04-12-2015
File Transfer...
15-12-2015
Med's Done....
06-27-2015
Interview........
Decision Made: 05-07-2016
Passport Req..
24-05-2016
VISA ISSUED...
01-06-2016
LANDED..........
22-06-2016
The short answer is no.

They will not give you any specific advise that will result in refusal or any kind of serious problems.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
No way to protect yourself by recording the conversation and they certainly won't send you an email. If they give you wrong advice and you follow it - you will be held responsible.

The only way to protect yourself is to avoid using them for anything but the most basic questions (e.g. what is the mailing address for the Mississauga visa office).

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
CIC will not view you following incorrect advice from the CIC help line as a good excuse for having made a mistake.
I advise phoning several times and asking the same question. You will most likely get different answers, which you can weigh, ask about here, and do your own research about. The help line employees should be viewed as a guide, not as an actual visa officer who knows what he or she is doing.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/high-error-rate-found-at-cic-t264024.0.html

It's not just the Call Centre staff that are making mistakes....it's the whole of CIC.

Canadian sponsors and their spouses, partners, children, parents, etc., deserve better service.

buonqua

Jun 9, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 16,2016
AOR Received.
May 4, 2016
File Transfer...
May 12, 2016
Med's Done....
February 19,2016
I'm just guessing but I think the CIC call center is located in the United States. My call display says United States and my sister without seeing the call display says the call center lady I was talking to had an American accent.

So if that is true than it might explain some of the wrong information they have given.

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
14-04-2015 - SA Received: 20-04-2015
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
buonqua said:
I'm just guessing but I think the CIC call center is located in the United States. My call display says United States and my sister without seeing the call display says the call center lady I was talking to had an American accent.

So if that is true than it might explain some of the wrong information they have given.
lol, no... unfortunately we can't blame America for this one.

volkov

Sep 20, 2014
Mardek said:
The short answer is no.

They will not give you any specific advise that will result in refusal or any kind of serious problems.
I have read different on this forum, where the Call Centre CIC officer told the applicant that they could continue working when many on this forum disagree and many on this forum say that if they follow the Call Centre advice they could be in serious trouble

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Mardek said:
The short answer is no.

Do you have a source for this, or is it merely your opinion?

Are you saying that those here that have been given the wrong answer to their questions, of which there are many, have absolutely nothing to worry about?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
buonqua said:

Many toll free numbers in Canada show up on call display as being located the US, so that doesn't mean anything.

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
canuck_in_uk said:
Many toll free numbers in Canada show up on call display as being located the US, so that doesn't mean anything.
and for the most part (putting aside specific geographical dialects and word pronounciations), canadians and US citizens sound the same.

volkov

Sep 20, 2014
Ponga said:
Do you have a source for this, or is it merely your opinion?

Are you saying that those here that have been given the wrong answer to their questions, of which there are many, have absolutely nothing to worry about?
it should be that way

buonqua

Jun 9, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 16,2016
AOR Received.
May 4, 2016
File Transfer...
May 12, 2016
Med's Done....
February 19,2016
sorry I'm wrong. I just did a quick google search of CIC call centre location and it's showing Montreal.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
volkov said:
it should be that way
I agree; it should, but that's not how it works. CIC apparently has no sympathy for people when they later say "But the Call Centre person said this was ok..."!

I was [originally] even told that I needed to apply as a conjugal partner to my sponsor, even though we were both living together, in Canada. How's that for accurate information. Imagine what would have happened if I'd listened to this advice and wasted the time and money.

There should be an elevated level of service for those that have paid the fees and now need to speak with someone that can answer specific questions regarding the SCLP/SCLPC stream. Instead, you spin the `Wheel of Knowledge' when you call and hope that the human on the other end at least has an I.Q. higher than Pi (for starters), followed by the right answer(s) to your very specific question(s).