+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What's the best place to live in Canada?

hmisabpk

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

Canada's best cities to live in
March 21, 2012 | By Phil Froats (research)
Climate, home prices and other factors considered in new ranking

What's the best place to live in Canada?
MoneySense has ranked 190 Canadian cities and towns in order to find out. As part of our annual Best Places to Live package, we've rated each city in 22 categories to determine which places offer top-notch amenities. Some of those categories include affordable housing, crime rates, unemployment, access to health care and weather.

Being the best in one category doesn't guarantee a spot near the top; our rankings reward cities that place high in multiple categories. So how does your city stack up? Check out our top cities and find out how your town did.

* Bing: The best cities to live in the world
http://money.ca.msn.com/savings-debt/gallery/canadas-best-cities-to-live-in-1

World's most livable cities
The Economist's World's Most Liveable Cities 2011 (Top 10)
City Country Rating
1 Melbourne Australia 97.5
2 Vienna Austria 97.4
3 Vancouver Canada 97.3
4 Toronto Canada 97.2
5 Calgary Canada 96.6
6 Sydney Australia 96.1
7 Helsinki Finland 96.0
8 Perth Australia 95.9
9 Adelaide Australia 95.9
10 Auckland New Zealand 95.7

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World%27s_most_livable_cities

Hope that helps,

hmisabpk

emmaballet20

Jul 9, 2012
Ottawa is one of the best city to live in Canada you can stay in Ottawa with your family & if you don't prefer to Ottawa than wait for others suggestion & lets see what they reply you?

black crow

Nov 21, 2010
the question for an immigrant is not only where to live, but how to live and survive.
job is always on top and selection of residence is often followed by job serach.

amaniziad

Star Member
Sep 26, 2011
emmaballet20 said:
Ottawa is one of the best city to live in Canada you can stay in Ottawa with your family & if you don't prefer to Ottawa than wait for others suggestion & lets see what they reply you?
hi , could u please clarify more about living in ottawa ... cost of living , jobs availability, climate , safest place to stay there ....... etc..

thanks

merlinraj

Aug 30, 2012
Mississauga Condos is a well-recognized and trusted brand. This positive company image makes it easier for agents to connect with clients who need Homes for sale in Mississauga and more.
Consumers face the daunting task in today's market of sorting out which mortgage offers the best rates and terms for their needs.

enzo1971

Sep 28, 2012
If you are coming from a warmer climate and dont want to freeze in the winter go to Vancouver or Victoria. If you can't do rain and lots of sunless days go to Ottawa or Montreal. Vancouver is great if you love the outdoors etc very healthy fit city, but very expensive. I love it here.

ummi

Star Member
Mar 29, 2012
Any idea how to visit Niagara falls fro toronto any public transport..i am really confused as in our hoe country we either drive own car or use cab(taxi)
pls advice.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ummi said:
Any idea how to visit Niagara falls fro toronto any public transport..i am really confused as in our hoe country we either drive own car or use cab(taxi)
pls advice.
you can take greyhound bus or drive your car to niagara falls from toronto

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
I like living in Calgary so far. The only downside is the winter Chinooks (weather fronts) change the pressure in the air and give me horrible headaches. It also helps keep it fairly warm in winter AND it's dry so there's usual very little wind chill. It's definitely not the most glamorous city in the world, but overall, it's a good place. Supposedly there's lots of job opportunities too, but that doesn't seem to be helping me!

Galip

May 25, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you're rich enough the best place to live in Canada is Vancouver.

ldjames

Star Member
Oct 17, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-08-2012
AOR Received.
24-10-12
File Transfer...
14-09-12
Med's Done....
04-07-12
LANDED..........
30-11-2012 (visitor)
hi , could u please clarify more about living in ottawa ... cost of living , jobs availability, climate , safest place to stay there ....... etc..
The cost of living is fairly high in Ottawa as with most places in Canada but the wages often (hopefully) match up!

Ottawa has lots of governmental and charity based jobs due to being the capital city- but it is heavily advantageous to be Bilingual in both official languages here- whereas in Western Canada this is still an asset but less of a requirement. There is plenty of work to be had without this of course, and I have not had too much trouble finding work (I only speak English).

Ottawa is in a valley so the climate can be quite extreme- 4 or 5 months of snow and extreme cold (up to around -40C for several weeks) to very warm summers (approaching 40C at it's peak), but there is the advantage of a beautiful fall (Autumn) season also.

There are not many unsafe areas in Ottawa and anyway along the central strip of Bank Street is fairly hospitable (but rents vary street to street).

I've not been out west but I do prefer Ottawa to either Toronto or Montreal as a place to live- it's smaller and feels less city like. I don't have children (yet) but Ottawa has an exceptional amount of green-space and feels more of an outdoors place to me.

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
ldjames said:
The cost of living is fairly high in Ottawa as with most places in Canada but the wages often (hopefully) match up!

Ottawa has lots of governmental and charity based jobs due to being the capital city- but it is heavily advantageous to be Bilingual in both official languages here- whereas in Western Canada this is still an asset but less of a requirement. There is plenty of work to be had without this of course, and I have not had too much trouble finding work (I only speak English).

Ottawa is in a valley so the climate can be quite extreme- 4 or 5 months of snow and extreme cold (up to around -40C for several weeks) to very warm summers (approaching 40C at it's peak), but there is the advantage of a beautiful fall (Autumn) season also.

There are not many unsafe areas in Ottawa and anyway along the central strip of Bank Street is fairly hospitable (but rents vary street to street).

I've not been out west but I do prefer Ottawa to either Toronto or Montreal as a place to live- it's smaller and feels less city like. I don't have children (yet) but Ottawa has an exceptional amount of green-space and feels more of an outdoors place to me.
I've never had any need for French except when a label is turned backwards at the grocery showing the French side! Unless I wanted to spy on the two French speaking people I've encountered my whole time here. I live in Calgary.

As an outsider, I've found people from the East/West are very prideful about where they live and tend to look down their noses at the others. Not trying to say this is a negative way, but Canadians in general seem to be rather smug about being Canadian. That's probably because this is a great place to live (and they're tired of the US being the 'only' country in North America. Canada, Mexico? What are those?).