+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What's the best place to live in Canada?

profahmed

Star Member
Apr 30, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
singapore
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
january2010
Doc's Request.
march 2010
AOR Received.
june2010
Med's Request
19th june 2012
Med's Done....
25th june2012
Interview........
waived
ldjames said:
The cost of living is fairly high in Ottawa as with most places in Canada but the wages often (hopefully) match up!

Ottawa has lots of governmental and charity based jobs due to being the capital city- but it is heavily advantageous to be Bilingual in both official languages here- whereas in Western Canada this is still an asset but less of a requirement. There is plenty of work to be had without this of course, and I have not had too much trouble finding work (I only speak English).

Ottawa is in a valley so the climate can be quite extreme- 4 or 5 months of snow and extreme cold (up to around -40C for several weeks) to very warm summers (approaching 40C at it's peak), but there is the advantage of a beautiful fall (Autumn) season also.

There are not many unsafe areas in Ottawa and anyway along the central strip of Bank Street is fairly hospitable (but rents vary street to street).

I've not been out west but I do prefer Ottawa to either Toronto or Montreal as a place to live- it's smaller and feels less city like. I don't have children (yet) but Ottawa has an exceptional amount of green-space and feels more of an outdoors place to me.

ottawa_girl

Jan 22, 2013
Well "best place to live" depends really of your criteria.

We moved to Ottawa because of jobs and we don't regret it. We found a trick to save a lot of money. We actually live in Gatineau, just North of the Ottawa river on the province of Quebec because it is A LOT CHEAPER (mostly housing costs and daycare) so if you have young kids, Gatineau is the place to go.

We work in Ottawa, it is a clean city and typical Canadian weather, cold in winter and hot in summer. Crimes are low but they do exist like everywhere nowadays.

I heard too that Saskatchewan has a low cost of living and Regina and Saskatoon are pretty good but again it depends on your criteria. We personally like to have some "life" so Ottawa is a good balance it is not as big as Toronto/Montreal and it is not too small like the thousands of small towns.

So up to you!

leofamily

Sep 20, 2010
what about Edmonton, Alberta? is it okay also?

we are considering this place because my husband is a pipefitter, so we thought may be it would be good to settle there.

What do you think? please advise.

maraming salamat!

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
leofamily said:
what about Edmonton, Alberta? is it okay also?

we are considering this place because my husband is a pipefitter, so we thought may be it would be good to settle there.

What do you think? please advise.

maraming salamat!
Edmonton is a good choice based on his profession. He may end up working outside of town, however, but usually the company provides support for that.

The weather isn't exactly warm in Edmonton. I know many Canadians that think 20C is hot... You can see average temperatures for Edmonton (and other cities) here: http://gocanada.about.com/od/canadatravelplanner/tp/temperatures_canada.htm

Then again, if you're from a cold climate or enjoy cooler weather, you might be pleasantly surprised. Personally, I hate hot weather and have loved Alberta summers so far.

DIVYAZABI

Dec 3, 2012
Saskatoon
Category........
Visa Office......
Chennai, India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July-15, 2013
Passport Req..
July-16, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
July-17,2013
LANDED..........
Sep-09,2013
Could someone already in Canada or anybody having a thorough knowledge about the province of Saskatchewan? I am from India and planning to move up there this Fall. I will be going to the Saskatoon. How is the job prospects like in that city? Are there shops around and pretty much al I wanted to know is that if its a happening place???

Any opinions about how living in Sask would be?

I really look forward to all your answers... :)

Thank you in advance!!

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
wolnila lives in SK, may you can send him a PM.

DIVYAZABI

Dec 3, 2012
Saskatoon
Category........
Visa Office......
Chennai, India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July-15, 2013
Passport Req..
July-16, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
July-17,2013
LANDED..........
Sep-09,2013
Thank you Amikety! Could you also tell me how do I find him here? I tried searching for his name but couldn't find it :(

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
DIVYAZABI said:
Thank you Amikety! Could you also tell me how do I find him here? I tried searching for his name but couldn't find it :(
It would help if I spelled his username right.

Wolanila

:)

DIVYAZABI

Dec 3, 2012
Saskatoon
Category........
Visa Office......
Chennai, India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July-15, 2013
Passport Req..
July-16, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
July-17,2013
LANDED..........
Sep-09,2013
Nope! I just couldn't find him. Not sure why its not coming up if entered on the search bar over here ::)

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
DIVYAZABI said:
Nope! I just couldn't find him. Not sure why its not coming up if entered on the search bar over here ::)
Are you using the search feature within the members section or the general search feature?

You need to use the member search feature. It's located with in the members section. At the top right hand of the screen it says: Home - Assessment - Help - Search - Profile - Inbox - MEMBERS - Rss - Logout

You need to go into Members, then select "search" from the tab at the top of the members list.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
amikety said:
Are you using the search feature within the members section or the general search feature?
One need to login first before one can use the member search feature.