+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What to upload as a proof of wife's legal name change?

Kishan50

Star Member
Jul 31, 2017
You need to connect to the Criminal Check department and ask for new document as per her Passport and if not then probably affidavit. But for sure this will raise a question.
Thanks for your reply. I did, they said because she is married, her surname will automatically show as my last name.

She is keeping her last name and never changed her name. Do you think I still an affidavit?

Thank you!

chikoo1985

May 20, 2017
Thanks for your reply. I did, they said because she is married, her surname will automatically show as my last name.

She is keeping her last name and never changed her name. Do you think I still an affidavit?

Thank you!
Did you send her application along with yours? If yes then maybe you can try sending her application again just as a single (as in one) applicant. I am assuming during criminal check they don't ask if the applicant is married or not. This way she will get the PCC in her name.

I hope some expert see this post and guide you better.

Nc31

May 10, 2017
For me what worked as that i uploaded a notarized affidavit and a newspaper post / page about my change of name.
There was already another section asking me to upload my marriage certificate.

Hope this helps :)
Hi @Tati1911 please, where did you notarized the affidavit and what documents did they requested?
Secondly, can someone do it for one if the person in not in the country?
Sorry if am asking much.
Kind Regards

Kazunari

Jan 17, 2018
can i not do the affidavit if on my marriage certificate its showing my maiden name and my current passport is under my husband last name?

Kindly advice.
Thank you

am4321

Jun 14, 2018
UAE
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
06-07-2018
AOR Received.
06-07-2018
Passport Req..
05-11-2018
Hey there,
Just to say that ive attached my marriage certificate and passport with my new married name and it worked for me.

Hope this helps:)
Thanks ver much. I will also do the same then

writetomehere

Sep 26, 2018
If it is a legal name change, upload the legal document that confirms that this action was performed.

If it is a post marital name change but not legalized yet, upload a notarized affidavit that states the different versions of name for the same person along with documents showing the different versions including passport, marriage certificate, birth certificate etc.
Hi, by notarized affidavit u mean notarized self affidavit, correct? Apologies if I am asking an irrelevant question, not familiar with all these :( TIA

tanmaisneha

Star Member
Feb 7, 2018
Alberta
My wife changed her family name after the marriage. She already has the passport and other documents which bear her new family name except the educational documents. Now after the ITA, system is asking for Legal name change document.

Do i have to get an affidavit for this after X number of years of name change.

Thanks in advance.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
My wife changed her family name after the marriage. She already has the passport and other documents which bear her new family name except the educational documents. Now after the ITA, system is asking for Legal name change document.

Do i have to get an affidavit for this after X number of years of name change.

Thanks in advance.
The name change document is your marriage certificate.

tanmaisneha

Star Member
Feb 7, 2018
Alberta
Thank you.

Another thing is in per supporting document checklist there is no mention to upload the marriage certificate only legal name change document. So i should upload the marriage certificate in that section.

Hetal0990

Star Member
May 8, 2018
Dear All - Need some help on this topic. I am from India and My wife has not changed her surname on the passport, it still has her maiden surname. To add to this her ECA, her IELTS Score all of it bear her maiden surname and not her post marriage. We had applied through PNP and received a nomination. The documents we submitted in PNP some of them like bank accounts had her post marriage surname, while the passport, ECA and IELTS score had her maiden surname. I am really confused on what should be the process here for Express Entry? Will just a marriage certificate work here? Apologies in advance incase if it's a repetitive question and has already been answered.

Last edited:

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Dear All - Need some help on this topic. I am from India and My wife has not changed her surname on the passport, it still has her maiden surname. To add to this her ECA, her IELTS Score all of it bear her maiden surname and not her post marriage. We had applied through PNP and received a nomination. The documents we submitted in PNP some of them like bank accounts had her post marriage surname, while the passport, ECA and IELTS score had her maiden surname. I am really confused on what should be the process here for Express Entry? Will just a marriage certificate work here? Apologies in advance incase if it's a repetitive question and has already been answered.
Already answered in this thread.

Hetal0990

Star Member
May 8, 2018
In the current situation wherein everything is under a lockdown is there a way wherein we can get the same name affidavit done online somehow? Sorry for the silly sounding request not sure if that's even possible.