+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What to upload as a proof of wife's legal name change?

chikoo1985

May 20, 2017
Hi All,
Can you please tell me if the docs below is sufficient proof for name change doc?

1. Marriage Certificate
2. Birth Certificate
3. Old Passport bio page
4. New Passport bio page
5. LOE

Thanks in advance.
hey, did this work?

Tati1911

Mar 13, 2017
For me what worked as that i uploaded a notarized affidavit and a newspaper post / page about my change of name.
There was already another section asking me to upload my marriage certificate.

Hope this helps :)

Reactions: Nc31

Amrinderghumann

Jan 14, 2016
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
13-06-2016
Hello I have given name Amrinder Singh and surname ghuman in passport( added surname by legal name change process) and just given name Amrinder Singh in all educational documents and birth certificate. so what should i choose from column "Known by another name" in quebec immigration file as surname not mentioned in birth certificate and edu certificates from following options- 1) Name at birth 2) Another legal name (following name change) 3) common name 4) name after marriage
please help

chikoo1985

May 20, 2017
Hello I have given name Amrinder Singh and surname ghuman in passport( added surname by legal name change process) and just given name Amrinder Singh in all educational documents and birth certificate. so what should i choose from column "Known by another name" in quebec immigration file as surname not mentioned in birth certificate and edu certificates from following options- 1) Name at birth 2) Another legal name (following name change) 3) common name 4) name after marriage
please help
I am assuming... For you best option would be 1) Name at birth.. this way you will be able to show birth certificate as proof and for later name change you can show the documents you used during legal name change process.

Let's wait for experts to reply though.

chikoo1985

May 20, 2017
For Indian couples who are residing in the U.S after getting married in India. What would be the best option? I am thinking of submitting Below document for my spouse's Legal Name change.
- Birth Certificate (name before marriage)
- Marriage certificate (To show we are legally married) - This has been recommended by many members from this forum
- Passport (name after marriage)
- Letter of explanation stating points about how this is very common in India.

Now, what if they ask me to get the legal name change procedure done in the US. What is the best way to do it?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
For Indian couples who are residing in the U.S after getting married in India. What would be the best option? I am thinking of submitting Below document for my spouse's Legal Name change.
- Birth Certificate (name before marriage)
- Marriage certificate (To show we are legally married) - This has been recommended by many members from this forum
- Passport (name after marriage)
- Letter of explanation stating points about how this is very common in India.

Now, what if they ask me to get the legal name change procedure done in the US. What is the best way to do it?
IRCC is not going to request legal name change documents from the US. All that is required in Canada for a person to start using their married name is the marriage certificate.

Reactions: chikoo1985

chikoo1985

May 20, 2017
IRCC is not going to request legal name change documents from the US. All that is required in Canada for a person to start using their married name is the marriage certificate.
Oh ok. This makes everything clear. So on my application I have to upload Marriage Certificate twice, one where they have requested for it specifically and one for legal name change.
Th

Amrinderghumann

Jan 14, 2016
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
13-06-2016
I am assuming... For you best option would be 1) Name at birth.. this way you will be able to show birth certificate as proof and for later name change you can show the documents you used during legal name change process.

Let's wait for experts to reply though.
thanx chikoo i am also doubt with option 1 and 2

biker1985

Jun 20, 2017
Can anybody help with the letter of explanation format for the post marriage name change for express entry application?

Kishan50

Star Member
Jul 31, 2017
Hey guys,

I have a question. My wife did not change her name after we got married. She is still keeping her last name and everything.

We've requested our criminal/background check from back home and on her criminal check they automatically included her last name as my last name and in bracket they wrote ''Born >Her LastName<''. I think back in my country they automatically write your last name to the husband's last name once you get married.

When I did the application, they asked if she is using any other names, I said ''No''. Will there be an issue because of that?

Please advise.

Kishan50

Star Member
Jul 31, 2017
Hey guys,

I have a question. My wife did not change her name after we got married. She is still keeping her last name and everything.

We've requested our criminal/background check from back home and on her criminal check they automatically included her last name as my last name and in bracket they wrote ''Born >Her LastName<''. I think back in my country they automatically write your last name to the husband's last name once you get married.

When I did the application, they asked if she is using any other names, I said ''No''. Will there be an issue because of that?

Please advise.

chikoo1985

May 20, 2017
Hey guys,

Please advise.
You need to connect to the Criminal Check department and ask for new document as per her Passport and if not then probably affidavit. But for sure this will raise a question.