+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What to say to the BO?

NoseOfNicko

Jul 9, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
if you don't have a job and/or live with your parents or friends?

What do/did you guys say when the BO ask/asked you if you have/had a job and where you live/lived?

Just want to know what some of you guys and girls who don't/didn't have jobs and/or live/lived with your parents or friends say/said to the BO.

Like I said in my other topic, my girlfriend doesn't have a job and lives with a friend and she's gonna leave to come here in a week and I'm scared of her not being let in because she doesn't have a job and she lives with a friend. But she's gonna have a return ticket and she's gonna say that she's visiting a friend of course. and she's not gonna talk about her job/lack of a job and where and with who she lives unless the BO asks her of course.

jayde

Feb 18, 2010
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-3-2011
File Transfer...
03-05-2011
Med's Done....
03-01-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
06-10-2011
VISA ISSUED...
27-10-2011
LANDED..........
04-11-2011 WOO HOO!!!
If you have already started the application process then you don't need to worry so much.

Send a copy of your fee receipt, send a copy of a sponsor approval or something showing that your intention is to sponsor her permanent residency application.

She should be honest, tell the border officer that it is her intention to "visit" while you wait for her permanent residency application to be processed. It is called dual-intent.

My husband quit his job, put his belongings in storage and drove to Canada with a copy of our fee receipt and a copy of my sponsorship approval. He did not have any problems. he was given a Visit Visa record, stapled into his passport (states he cannot work or go to school and that it expires after six months).

She's coming from the states, and they are visa exempt... she is allowed to visit with the intent of living here once her permanent residency is approved.

Besides, who would pay $1040 and NOT go through with a proper application? As long as she is honest, answers their questions honestly, then she shouldn't have an issue unless the border officer is being a jerk.

Also, some people recommend that you cross the border with her, but in our case it wasn't possible. I had my cell phone on in case they wanted to phone and verify the info, but they never did. They were actually very helpful and informative.
Good luck :)

seattlegirl

Sep 15, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan. 28, 2011
AOR Received.
Feb. 28, 2011
File Transfer...
Mar 10, 2011
Med's Done....
Sept 20, 2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Dec 13, 2011
VISA ISSUED...
Jan 09, 2012
I had the same situation.

Make sure she carries with her any vehicle information she has (loan or title paperwork) that shows she has property there that she most likely wouldn't "leave" without.

I was living at home as well. I got renters insurance through farmers (it covers all her belongings at her parents) it was only $13.00 a month, and it proved I was maintaining a residence in the states since I had no rental contract or mortgage. She can sign up immediately and carry the policy with her as proof.

I also carried all my student loan paperwork and any other bills to prove I had obligations in the USA.

I had my bank statements with me as well because they like to see that you can support yourself while in Canada I only had about 2,000 but I have also travelled without this because sometimes I didn't maintain the balance and my hubby was supporting me.

Good luck! She will be fine if she just states the truth. She needs to repeat I AM JUST VISITING over and over they tried to trick me up by asking this many times but as long as she proves her "ties" to the USA she should be okay.

The worst would be they issue her a visitor record for how long she states she's staying. I got one every time. The last time we were just so done with the border hassle and my hubby can afford to support me so once i got into Canada we filed for an extension by mail (it takes 145 days to process by mail) so we got a "free" 5 months of implied status even though the BO wanted me to leave in two weeks. My extension was approved until may of 2012 so now no worries. But i understand it's not always am option to live on one income. Hope this helps!

NoseOfNicko

Jul 9, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
seattlegirl said:
The worst would be they issue her a visitor record for how long she states she's staying. I got one every time. The last time we were just so done with the border hassle and my hubby can afford to support me so once i got into Canada we filed for an extension by mail (it takes 145 days to process by mail) so we got a "free" 5 months of implied status even though the BO wanted me to leave in two weeks. My extension was approved until may of 2012 so now no worries. But i understand it's not always am option to live on one income. Hope this helps!
What reason did you give to explain why you wanted to stay longer? If she has to leave in 2 weeks we're gonna apply for an extension too.

seattlegirl

Sep 15, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan. 28, 2011
AOR Received.
Feb. 28, 2011
File Transfer...
Mar 10, 2011
Med's Done....
Sept 20, 2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Dec 13, 2011
VISA ISSUED...
Jan 09, 2012
We had an attorney that handled everything but what he put was that it would be a hardship to leave my husband at this point in time and that he was more than financially able to take care of the basic needs as outlined by CIC.

We attached a copy of his pay check stubs and signed! Make sure you apply by mail NOT online because if worst happens and they refuse her extension you'll atleast have the 5 months together..

Stumpedmom

Sep 16, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22/03/2011 Receivd CPC-M
AOR Received.
16/06/2011
File Transfer...
06/05/2011 Received in Buffalo, 06/2011 to Los Angeles
Med's Done....
12/10/2010
Interview........
waived...obviously cuz we got the PPR
Passport Req..
16/8/2011
VISA ISSUED...
24/8/2011 in our hands 8/29/2011
LANDED..........
3/9/2011
OP states this is his girlfriend not spouse.....he can not sponsor her yet, unless they are qualified under the common law status....this makes a big difference when it comes to crossing the border.

If she states that she is going to visit friends she should be prepared to provide a name and address of where she will be staying. If she states with her boyfriend, they are going to want more information, and my limit the visit visa.

I would watch out for that bit...I know even when I crossed with hubs before we were married, we got hassled a lot when we were crossing back and forth.

Just an FYI. But do let her know to answer ONLY what is asked and not offer extra information

seattlegirl

Sep 15, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan. 28, 2011
AOR Received.
Feb. 28, 2011
File Transfer...
Mar 10, 2011
Med's Done....
Sept 20, 2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Dec 13, 2011
VISA ISSUED...
Jan 09, 2012
I agreed stumpedmom. Only info requested should be offered.

My situation was outlined before we were married. I had less trouble when we were just dating than I ever had when we were actually married. They did NOT want to let me in once we were married and vise versa for hubby into the states. These were the docs I carried when we were dating, I had been previously issued an exclusion order and wasn't allowed to enter Canada for 1 year so I'm pretty familiar with the process and how to abide by the rules. I guess learning the hard way was my route!! :p