+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What to Expect After landing

xxtczil

Jun 3, 2016
I am currently working for a company in Toronto. My family recently received the approval to become prs in Canada and we had submitted the passports. Once I receive the passport with immigration visa I plan to go around the rainbow bridge to complete the landing process first (my wife and my child are still in India). I am planning to go on vocation in Mar and then come back with my family so they can complete their landing process.
My questions are:
1, Is it ok for me to complete the landing process first? or do I have to go back to India and come to Canada with them all together? due to my work, I can't go back to India right away, and I want to complete the landing process first so I can start applying super visa for my parents.

2, Once I complete the landing process do I receive a temporary pr card right away(like temporary driver license when you pass the road test)? how long does it take to receive the actual pr card?

3, What other things should I expect after landing? I am excited and nervous at the same time. I am looking forward to hearing some feedback and advice from you. Thanks.

xxtczil

Jun 3, 2016
forgot one question: If it takes too long for me to receive the pr card, can I travel to India? If yes what document do I do to go back? or should I simply just stay until I receive my pr card? Once I have my pr card and when I travel, should I apply for any pr travel document? or just simply use my indian passport and my pr card?

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
1. I believe as long as you are the principal applicant, you can land first and your family can land later. what stream are you immigrating on?

2 and 4. no, you do not receive a temp PR card. The COPR (confirmation of permanent resident) form is what you can use to prove your status until you receive your card and you can use it to get your SIN #, healthcare (Depending on the province) and immigration services. CBSA will ask for a canadian address to send the PR card to and they will submit the application for your first card. it can take weeks to months to receive the actual card. it is not consistent. if you plan to leave and come back to Canada before you get your PR card, you will need to apply for a PR travel document in order to return.

3. once you land, there's not much to "expect". you are free to live life in Canada. I would recommend getting in touch with a local immigrant service organization when you get here, so they can help you with job searching and other services they offer. there are a lot of free services available for PRs. the one in my area were great and a huge help in my settlement.