+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What to do if I have more entry/exits than what was reported in the application?

ichina

Star Member
Dec 11, 2014
Dear all,

I unintentionally missed few entry and exits - indicated by stamps on my passport - when filling out the citizenship application form. I still fulfill the days required to stay in Canada even after those missing trips were accounted for.

Someone said the interviewer will check the stamps against the records reported in the application. If this is the case, they will spot the trips are not reported. What is the best response to this problem?

My test and interview are coming up in the next few weeks. I am getting more and more nervous......

Many thanks for your help!

kushari

Oct 3, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-10-2012
AOR Received.
30-11-2012
IELTS Request
22-06-2012
Med's Request
12-12-2013
Med's Done....
18-12-2013
Passport Req..
19-03-2014
VISA ISSUED...
24/03/2014
LANDED..........
27/03/2014
It's fine, I had a similar issue, where I forgot a trip before I was a PR. Just let them know, they will note it down. If they are not in English, they will ask to get it translated before they can approve the application. That's all, not a big issue.

ZingyDNA

Champion Member
Aug 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-06-2013
AOR Received.
28-08-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
21-02-2014 (principal applicant)
Med's Done....
07-03-2014 (both, upfront for spouse)
Passport Req..
10-04-2014
VISA ISSUED...
22-04-2014
LANDED..........
13-06-2014
Dear all,

I unintentionally missed few entry and exits - indicated by stamps on my passport - when filling out the citizenship application form. I still fulfill the days required to stay in Canada even after those missing trips were accounted for.

Someone said the interviewer will check the stamps against the records reported in the application. If this is the case, they will spot the trips are not reported. What is the best response to this problem?

My test and interview are coming up in the next few weeks. I am getting more and more nervous......

Explain this to the officer during interview obviously. Translate the stamps if they're not in English or French, in case they need you to prove the missing trips won't make you ineligible. You can also send a webform to contact them about this info before the interview, but I don't think that's absolutely necessary.

Joshua1

Nov 18, 2013
This is why it’s essential to have more than enough buffer days. Based on what you described, you should be fine for the interview.

Depending on how many stamps you missed, if I were you, I’d make coloured copies of all the pages of the passport just to be proactive. This could help the agent... also make a good impression that you are aware of the mistake.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
As others have mentioned, as long as you have enough buffer days to cover the mistakes you should be fine - the more buffer, the better. If the omissions eat up all your buffer days so that you barely have enough to cover it, they may carefully go over all your travels again.

ontheborder

Aug 31, 2018
Dear all,

If you fulfill residency requirements, you are fine. If you have a large enough buffer, it would definitely help...
In my case, I reported some absences that weren't even stamped. The Canada-US border crossing in fully digital these days for example...

Admit the mistake, say it was an oversight, and offer an apology.

Dear all,

No need to be nervous, be prepared for the questions regarding the unreported absences...

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Dear all,

As a general matter, I concur in the observations posted by @ZingyDNA, @Joshua1, and @keesio, and . . .
. . . particularly so for MINOR errors and omissions in the presence calculation.

BUT a "few" omissions in the presence calculation suggests a SUBSTANTIAL discrepancy.

Even for a substantial error, but at the less serious end of the spectrum, the observations offered by @ZingyDNA, @Joshua1, and @keesio cover it.

That said, the more substantial the mistake the more that pushes for an affirmative correction, perhaps sooner rather than later, or at least preparation of a corrected travel history to submit during the interview.

And, in any case, as suggested by others the applicant should prepare to acknowledge and explain the mistakes during the interview.

Again, however, the reference to a "few" omissions is vague, but suggests at least three trips were omitted, and the fact that the trips are evidenced by stamps in a passport suggests these may not merely have been brief trips to the U.S. but rather more extensive than that.

What constitutes a substantial omission which warrants further attention and more decisive action than suggested in other posts is a complicated question. Three omissions, in itself, probably passes the threshold for what is substantial unless they were very brief trips (each less than three or five nights abroad). AND they may still be at the lesser end of the spectrum, and no big deal, none at all, unless the total amount of additional days absent from Canada adds up to more than a month plus some, or reduces the margin over the minimum threshold by more than the difference (obviously there is no definitive ratio which is likely to invite increased scrutiny and a risk of non-routine requests and processing, but as @keesio alluded, while it is critical that the difference does not result in being short, in which case the applicant is ineligible, if the revised calculation takes it relatively close to the minimum that is more likely to elevate the level of concern).

I do not know if these omissions were substantial, or even if substantial were significantly so. I do not know whether the OP needs to give this more attention or be more proactive.

Nonetheless, IF these errors are minor or at least at the relatively minor end of the spectrum, at the worst the OP may need to affirmatively correct the presence calculation and, potentially, be requested to provide some additional information or documents (such as Entry/Exit records from certain countries). No big deal.

If, however, the mistakes add up to more than a month plus, or otherwise constitute a big portion of the applicant's margin over the minimum presence requirement, it would be prudent to submit a correction sooner rather than later, and be better well-prepared to deal with this at the interview, such as having a NEW, REVISED travel history to present in the interview.

What if these were even bigger mistakes?

NO CAUSE to PANIC even if the mistakes are big mistakes. The bigger the mistakes, the more the applicant probably needs to proactively address the situation, and potentially be prepared for non-routine processing, possibly including RQ and having to provide documentation showing where the applicant lived, documenting the applicant's work history, and such. That is, even if this is about some very BIG mistakes (such as multiple month or longer trips omitted), as long as the applicant comes forward acknowledging the mistakes, and FULLY, ACCURATELY corrects the travel history, and the calculation still meets the minimum requirements, things should go OK . . . and at worst result in RQ related requests and processing. So, again, NO REASON to PANIC.

BUT a CAUTION is warranted:

Of course, passport stamps are indeed a source of information which IRCC typically compares to the residency calculation submitted by the applicant.

BUT that is NOT the only additional information IRCC considers in the process of verifying the applicant's travel history. Recognizing you have made some rather obvious errors, it would be prudent to thoroughly review all your records and the deep recesses of your memory and any other sources of information you have, to CAREFULLY and THOROUGHLY go through and verify ALL dates of travel outside Canada during the eligibility period. These errors are enough, for example, for IRCC to pull and examine your CBSA travel history, to compare your CBSA travel history to your accounting, and while the CBSA records might not for sure capture every time you entered Canada, for most it does or at least comes very, very close. And of course, again, IRCC has additional sources and means to otherwise discover any discrepancy between the applicant's information and other information. Which is to say, if there are any other errors or omissions, the risk is high IRCC will discover them. (IRCC for sure does NOT rely on passport stamps alone.)

That is, the error made here, in failing to report at least three trips, is significant enough to warrant totally revisiting your travel history to make sure there are NOT any other omissions or errors. Three is enough to make it likely that IRCC will, at the least, more closely examine your travel history in which event it is important for your account to be as close to totally complete and accurate as you can make it. Time to get it right.

This is particularly so given that these mistakes are blatantly obvious, suggesting there is indeed a risk you made others which are not reflected in passport stamps.

NOTE re unintentional mistakes:

Not all mistakes are created equal and, for sure, all mistakes are certainly NOT treated equal. The OP references a huge distinction, for example, in reporting that the mistakes here were "unintentional." This is the most obvious key factor. Intentionally failing to disclose all trips abroad is a material misrepresentation which would have rather negative consequences and potentially rather severe consequences. But not all unintentional mistakes get a pass. Here too the OP references a huge distinction: notwithstanding the mistake, the OP still met the minimum presence requirement. Otherwise, if the mistake left the applicant short, the applicant would be ineligible and IRCC would necessarily have to deny the application.

But even if they do not affect eligibility itself, unintentional mistakes affect the applicant's credibility, and they compromise the extent to which IRCC will rely on the applicant's presence calculation. The failure to accurately report the facts is what it is: the failure to be an accurate reporter of the facts. Here too, no matter how innocent the mistakes are, more and bigger mistakes will have a more negative impact on the applicant's credibility.

That is, there are differences in how many and how big, and those differences can matter EVEN though the mistakes are unintentional and innocent.

OVERALL:

What others have observed probably covers it.

Except, noticing these mistakes suggests a real risk there were, possibly, additional mistakes. So it is probably time to revisit the whole travel history, TIME TO GET IT RIGHT.

These mistakes are probably no big deal, none at all . . . but best to make sure these mistakes are it; best to do the work necessary to buy insurance, so to say, there are no more.

Last edited:

madman

Star Member
Sep 2, 2013
Lebanon
Category........
Visa Office......
Beirut
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-05-2014
Doc's Request.
14-08-2014
Nomination.....
AOR Received.
14-08-2014
IELTS Request
sent with application
File Transfer...
14-08-2014
Med's Request
19-08-2014
Med's Done....
28-08-2014
Passport Req..
28-10-014
VISA ISSUED...
06-11-2014
Thank you all for responses from you all. I will construct a new entry/exit list to bring to the interview then.
do you recommend sending the stamps translation with the application or wait for the interview and show them to the officer?

Stef.

Apr 5, 2017
I forgot a whole trip of three weeks and had no issue as I had enough buffer days. In the interview the office mentioned the missing trip and I could not even recall it! She said we were all humans and such a mistake can happen. She asked how I compiled my rather long list of travels and I told her from diaries, air plane tickets...As said, the buffer days are important. I can only advise that people give it at least 30 if not 60 days more before applying for citizenship!

Reactions: qorax

ZingyDNA

Champion Member
Aug 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-06-2013
AOR Received.
28-08-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
21-02-2014 (principal applicant)
Med's Done....
07-03-2014 (both, upfront for spouse)
Passport Req..
10-04-2014
VISA ISSUED...
22-04-2014
LANDED..........
13-06-2014
do you recommend sending the stamps translation with the application or wait for the interview and show them to the officer?
Stamp translation is not on the checklist of required documents, so no need to send it with your application. If they require it at the interview, then show it to them.

Reactions: madman and qorax

ichina

Star Member
Dec 11, 2014
I will make a list of trips and the stamps with passport page numbers and present the list to the interviewer on that day.... Hope the interviewer will let me pass...

Reactions: madman

madman

Star Member
Sep 2, 2013
Lebanon
Category........
Visa Office......
Beirut
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-05-2014
Doc's Request.
14-08-2014
Nomination.....
AOR Received.
14-08-2014
IELTS Request
sent with application
File Transfer...
14-08-2014
Med's Request
19-08-2014
Med's Done....
28-08-2014
Passport Req..
28-10-014
VISA ISSUED...
06-11-2014
I will make a list of trips and the stamps with passport page numbers and present the list to the interviewer on that day.... Hope the interviewer will let me pass...
I didn't see in the checklist any requirement to submit the Record of Landing or the PR card, is that correct? they don't need these documents?

ichina

Star Member
Dec 11, 2014
I didn't see in the checklist any requirement to submit the Record of Landing or the PR card, is that correct? they don't need these documents?
The form to calculate the days in Canada asked to report the travels in the past few years. It does not require submission of landing record or PR card.

Optimist22222

Dec 7, 2011
App. Filed.......
AUGUST 28, 2017
Dear all,

I would suggest to print a revised online presence calculator, sign it, scan it and send it to the IRCC through CSE (webform). Also explain about the unintentional mistake. Take a printout of confirmation email by by IRCC and a copy of the revised presence calculator to the interview. You should be good

Reactions: SpiceIsland