+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What province should I choose Alberta,Ontario or Quebec?

manu_pena

Jun 27, 2011
Personal tax exemption is higher in AB
Hi, and thank you for your input, can you explain what tax exemption is ? I do so much research and never came across those terms :D.
Yeah most opinions are suggesting that I should land in AB. Most likely that will be my final choice. So I guess Quebec is not a smart a choice, not one comment/experience on this eastern province yet..

lovely20

Mar 31, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
August 12, 2010
manu_pena said:
Hi, and thank you for your input, can you explain what tax exemption is ? I do so much research and never came across those terms :D.
Yeah most opinions are suggesting that I should land in AB. Most likely that will be my final choice. So I guess Quebec is not a smart a choice, not one comment/experience on this eastern province yet..

It is the personal tax exemption rate but I read in your previous posts that you are single so it won't make a difference for you.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you are FSW, you should not try to land in Quebec because that is one of the conditions of your application but you can move their later if you want to.

As for the tax amounts, federally, there is an amount per year that is exempt from tax but each province also has their own income tax and their own rules on how they calculate it. This tax calculator: http://lsminsurance.ca/calculators/canada/income-tax can help you see how much tax you would pay in each province.

manu_pena

Jun 27, 2011
Im a permanent resident. Just been outside Canada for the past 19 yrs , I grew up in Manitoba and all I remember is the painful winters in Winnipeg.
But thanx to all for your feedback. Alberta seems great!

viper

Dec 11, 2009
To help you decide, I would suggest that you look at the job market for the 3 provinces. That was the main reason that we chose Calgary. I have an engineering background so I didn't have a hard time finding a job. (I got a job offer on my 5th day :)). Housing too is very affordable. We were able to find a brand new 3-bedrm rental house for 1300 at New Brighton which is a very nice community for young families. 1300 would only get me a 1-bed apartment in Los Angeles. Right now, we are having "California" weather here in Calgary. I am just hoping it would stay this way for a long time because I dread the coming of winter, which will be my first exp.

Reactions: cancanhere

manu_pena

Jun 27, 2011
Yes , winters in Canada are tough , but hey, youll adapt trust me. There's many things to do in the snow.
You got me thinking, where do you think it would be easier to find a job Calgary or Edmonton?

clubcanada

Sep 7, 2010
@manu_pena:
at the end of the day you'll need to settle down where you can find a job. aspects such as taxation and gas prices should play a minor role if at all. there's a good reason why toronto is the destination for most immigrants because here are by far the most jobs. cost of living might be a factor but in most cases it goes hand in hand with income. in other words: the higher the average income the higher the costs. toronto is a good example: cost of living is comparably high but also salaries tend to be higher.
vancouver is a little bit of an exception here. income and cost of living do not match. the cost of living is much higher than anywhere else and the salaries do not reflect this accordingly. Not everyone can afford to live there. in fact, there's a lot of people that brought money in order to live there. If you bought property back in the 90's you might be a rich man today but starting off these days as a newcomer, it's more than tough. If you have enough money, vancouver might be of a serious consideration.

shijoal

Feb 27, 2011
new delhi
Category........
Visa Office......
newdelhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-07-2011
Doc's Request.
not yet
Nomination.....
not yet
AOR Received.
06-09=2011
IELTS Request
sent with application
File Transfer...
09-11-2011
Med's Request
16-01-2012
Med's Done....
24-01-2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
16-01-2012
VISA ISSUED...
not yet
LANDED..........
not yet
clubcanada said:
@ manu_pena:
at the end of the day you'll need to settle down where you can find a job. aspects such as taxation and gas prices should play a minor role if at all. there's a good reason why toronto is the destination for most immigrants because here are by far the most jobs. cost of living might be a factor but in most cases it goes hand in hand with income. in other words: the higher the average income the higher the costs. toronto is a good example: cost of living is comparably high but also salaries tend to be higher.
vancouver is a little bit of an exception here. income and cost of living do not match. the cost of living is much higher than anywhere else and the salaries do not reflect this accordingly. Not everyone can afford to live there. in fact, there's a lot of people that brought money in order to live there. If you bought property back in the 90's you might be a rich man today but starting off these days as a newcomer, it's more than tough. If you have enough money, vancouver might be of a serious consideration.

as a canadian migrant , can i move quebec?

GetUsHome

Star Member
Mar 24, 2011
@ manu_pena:

I have a question. If you are a permanent resident that has been outside Canada for the past 19 yrs how did you maintain your Permanent Resident status?

Reason I ask is we will be immigrating with a dependent child (23 but in school) and I expect him to wander off and see the world and we were afraid he would lose his PR status because he was off traveling or working in a different country.

GetUsHome

Star Member
Mar 24, 2011
PS I would choose Toronto to settle first if my job didn't involve actually having to be in the oil field. I had a great time living there in my 20's.

Vancouver is expensive however I saw a report on Vancouver when we were was up there in May and the cost of housing is skewed because of West Vancouver and Richmond. Most auspicious land masses so Asians tend to flock there and drive the prices up.

We did a little bit of house hunting for our kid and we were finding very reasonably priced apartments. I wouldn't rule Vancouver out but once you are there you will not want to move anywhere else as it is wonderful.

manu_pena

Jun 27, 2011
@ manu_pena:

I have a question. If you are a permanent resident that has been outside Canada for the past 19 yrs how did you maintain your Permanent Resident status?

Reason I ask is we will be immigrating with a dependent child (23 but in school) and I expect him to wander off and see the world and we were afraid he would lose his PR status because he was off traveling or working in a different country.
There are resident obligations that have to be met in order to retain his PR status, look into that. My case was somewhat unique, I basically retained my PR under HnC grounds. Im 29 now , and Ive been living between Buenos Aires and New York , so I pretty much had enough of the big city life.
I wouldnt mind living near a big city but when I see the taxes and for lack of better word "disadvantages" of other provinces when compared to Alberta it just seems easier. The only reason I would consider BC is because of its weather, but someone posted that summer is nice but it rains the rest of the year, I prefer the snow I think :D

GetUsHome

Star Member
Mar 24, 2011
Thanks for the info. We will make sure he does his time in Canada then.

If you are over the big city then Alberta is a good place. I have friends and family in the Hinton and Edson areas and they love it.

We are also sick of the big city so we are looking at Nelson, BC. West side of the Rockies. All the snow you will ever need.

manu_pena said:
There are resident obligations that have to be met in order to retain his PR status, look into that. My case was somewhat unique, I basically retained my PR under HnC grounds. Im 29 now , and Ive been living between Buenos Aires and New York , so I pretty much had enough of the big city life.
I wouldnt mind living near a big city but when I see the taxes and for lack of better word "disadvantages" of other provinces when compared to Alberta it just seems easier. The only reason I would consider BC is because of its weather, but someone posted that summer is nice but it rains the rest of the year, I prefer the snow I think :D

shijoal

Feb 27, 2011
new delhi
Category........
Visa Office......
newdelhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-07-2011
Doc's Request.
not yet
Nomination.....
not yet
AOR Received.
06-09=2011
IELTS Request
sent with application
File Transfer...
09-11-2011
Med's Request
16-01-2012
Med's Done....
24-01-2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
16-01-2012
VISA ISSUED...
not yet
LANDED..........
not yet
can anyone share about montreal city to live. i heard that the rent is very low comparing with other cities.job market is not bad?