+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What is the chance of being denied a PRTD.

jakklondon

Oct 17, 2021
My daughter moved late to Canada and was in breach of permanent residency requirements.
She was able to enter to Canada on a valid card.
Then her Pr card has expired.
She applied to renew the Permanent Resident Card along with a letter explaining the reasons for her late entry into Canada.
The application was forwarded to the local IRCC office in Vancouver for review.
It was more 2 years ago.
All this time she works as a teacher at a school. She lives permanently in Canada. She pays taxes. More 2 years did not leave Canada at all.
For more than 2 years, her status for renew Pr card is "in process"
More than 2 years - NO ONE ANSWER from Vancouver ! At all!
Status for renew Pr card is "in process"- more than 2 years.
There is always one answer to a huge number of my emails at IRCC - "Afghanistan. Sorry."-and not a single answer from Vancouver in 2 years - at all.

Question.

For more than 2 years she did not leave Canada and did not visit her elderly parents.
If she goes to visit her parents in another country-What is the chance of being denied a PRTD.?
Let me remind you - her status right now for a renew card - "in process" (for over 2 years.)
Good question. I am not a lawyer and don't know how would RO apply to her under her current circumstances, but if I was her I would request my immigration records (in US we call it "FOIA request", you may have something similar in Canada). If there was reporting of her breach of RO and removal proceedings started, her immigration records may show. I say "may", because any information (if part of active investigation) could be blacked out/not disclosed under Canadian laws. But I am speculating here, and that may not be helpful. She should hire Canadian immigration attorney for consultation. Even if she is still considered Canadian PR and no removal proceedings initiated, could eventual denial of PR application trigger it? If it does, how would it affect her PRTD application? What happens to PRTD application while PR application is pending? What if PRTD can not be approved while PR is pending, and PR app takes 3 more years to process? If she leaves Canada, that would put her at breach of RO again.

On a separate note, it's an outrage that people with landing papers (legal permanent residents of Canada!) are denied driver's license, SIN and other things they are entitled to, unless they are issued removal orders and stripped of their status. This kind of vigilantism would be impossible in the US, you could easily sue discriminating entity in the Federal or State Court having Jurisdiction over matter (and not related to immigration authorities) . It's appalling that entities in Canada can get away with such a blatant violation of her government given rights.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Good question. I am not a lawyer and don't know how would RO apply to her under her current circumstances, but if I was her I would request my immigration records (in US we call it "FOIA request", you may have something similar in Canada). If there was reporting of her breach of RO and removal proceedings started, her immigration records may show. I say "may", because any information (if part of active investigation) could be blacked out/not disclosed under Canadian laws. But I am speculating here, and that may not be helpful. She should hire Canadian immigration attorney for consultation. Even if she is still considered Canadian PR and no removal proceedings initiated, could eventual denial of PR application trigger it? If it does, how would it affect her PRTD application? What happens to PRTD application while PR application is pending? What if PRTD can not be approved while PR is pending, and PR app takes 3 more years to process? If she leaves Canada, that would put her at breach of RO again.

. . . This kind of vigilantism . . .
The OP's daughter appears to currently be in compliance with the PR Residency Obligation, as she has been in Canada these past two years plus some. So she could leave Canada for an extended period of time (up to three years) and still be in compliance with the RO.

Yeah, uninformed speculating generally is not helpful. This PR, the OP's daughter, really should see a lawyer.

Yes, Canada has procedures comparable to applications under the U.S. FOIA. There are two types:

-- An ATI application or request is for Access to Information generally. There is a fee (nominal) and potentially costs (they can add up).​
-- To obtain personal records, Canadians (which includes PRs) and persons otherwise lawfully in Canada, can make what is called the ATIP request or application for copies of their personal records. ATIP stands for Access to Information - Private (or Personal, I foget).​

Like the U.S. FOIA process, the process in Canada is also laden with bureaucracy, with certain exceptions. There are fairly simple online portals for making the ATIP request for Canadians with an application in process, for example. However, all this generates is a copy of the client's GCMS records related to that particular application. And these records tend to be quite limited.

To obtain copies of personal records more broadly than that, the individual needs to make a customized ATIP request. This can be complicated. Absent a well-crafted request, the records obtained tend to still be quite limited and do not offer much beyond what most people will already know. Requests need to be quite detailed.

For the OP's daughter, an ATIP request is not likely to reveal much if anything about the issue that is bogging down processing her PR card application. This sort of stuff is typically redacted as confidential investigation methods and means. (I did not go into it in the previous post, but among the more or less likely situations is that the local office has referred this matter to CBSA and its NSSD for investigation into whatever issue it is that is involved, and that sort of information is typically redacted from records shared with clients.)

As to some of the particulars (if you really are interested):

"Even if she is still considered Canadian PR and no removal proceedings initiated, could eventual denial of PR application trigger it? "​

A PR card application is not denied on the grounds a PR has failed to comply with the PR Residency Obligation. I described the procedure in my previous post. If in processing the PR card application IRCC determines the PR has not met the RO and there are not sufficient H&C reasons to allow the PR to keep PR status despite that breach, THEN a 44(1) Report for Inadmissibility is prepared. If that report is determined to be valid in law and upon a hearing by a reviewing officer it is further determined, again, there are not sufficient H&C reasons to allow the PR to keep PR status, then a Removal Order is issued. If the PR does not appeal and does not voluntarily leave Canada within 30 days of that, then what many describe as "Removal Proceedings" (which are the process for enforcing the Removal Order, which gets complicated) are commenced.

"If it does, how would it affect her PRTD application?"​

If the PR card application is denied for some reason other than a breach of the RO, how that affects things, ranging from the right of appeal to applications for a TD made in visa offices outside Canada, depends on what that reason was. Multiple possibilities.

As I noted, PR card applications are not denied for a breach of the RO, but rather the 44(1) Report process is followed. While there are some technical nuances, in practical terms if the PR appeals the 44(1) Report and Removal Order, THEN pending the appeal the PR can apply for a one-year PR card, which should be issued, and this will allow the PR to return to Canada after any trip abroad . . . but only while the appeal is still pending (if the appeal is denied, the one-year PR card will be rendered invalid). As long as the appeal is pending, if the PR is abroad without a valid PR card, the PR can apply for and will ordinarily be issued a PR TD if the PR has been IN Canada within one year preceding the date of the PR TD application.

"What happens to PRTD application while PR application is pending? What if PRTD can not be approved while PR is pending, and PR app takes 3 more years to process?"​

The phrasing here is a bit awkward making it difficult to give a direct answer. The fact that one application is pending does not, in itself, directly affect the other. Thus, for example, a PR with NO admissibility issues but whose PR card has expired can apply for a new PR card and leave Canada while that application is pending, and then to return to Canada apply for and obtain a PR TD in order to board a flight back to Canada.

HOWEVER, if there are admissibility issues at stake in the PR card application, PR RO or otherwise, or other issues regarding the PR's status, those will be obvious in the PR's GCMS records and will be taken into consideration by the visa office abroad when it processes the PR TD application.

Perhaps an illustration will help: it is actually typical of IRCC to more or less let a PR card application sit in Secondary Review when a PR is known or thought to be outside Canada (not always, but commonly). And IRCC will thus wait for the PR to either apply for a PR TD, or to show up at a Port-of-Entry seeking to return to Canada. The fact the PR card application is pending and in Secondary Review will be obviously apparent in the PR's GCMS, probably flagged to be sure it is seen. So, if the PR makes a PR TD application from abroad, the visa office will scrutinize the applicant's history, RO compliance, and any other issue flagged in GCMS; if this PR is in breach of the RO and does not present sufficient H&C reasons for relief, the PR TD will be denied. Similarly, if this PR arrives at a Port-of-Entry (typically a PR who is able to travel via the U.S. and make it to a land crossing, no need for a PR TD), there is likely to be a flag (IRCC calls it an "alert") in the GCMS that the PIL (Primary Inspection Line) officer will see and thus refer the PR to Immigration Secondary, where the PR will be screened for admissibility, and here again if the PR is in breach of the RO and there are not sufficient H&C reasons to allow relief, a 44(1) Report will be issued, and a second officer will review this and determine whether to issue a Departure Order (same legal effect as a Removal Order).

"If she leaves Canada, that would put her at breach of RO again."​

This probably is not the case for the OP's daughter. She has been in Canada for the last two years. So, unless a 44(1) Report has already been prepared against her, she is in RO compliance for at least the next three years. That is, if she leaves Canada she still will have been in Canada at least 730 days within the preceding five years unless and until she has been outside Canada again for such a long period that she has been outside Canada more than 1095 days within the preceding five years. As otherwise observed, however, it appears likely there may be other issues at stake for her, so unless and until she gets further clarification it would be unwise to leave Canada and rely on getting a PR TD to return.

NOTE: PR card validity has NO relevance in PR RO calculations. A PR with a brand new PR card can be examined for RO compliance and if not in Canada at least 730 days within the five years prior to the date of that examination, will be determined to be in breach of the RO (and thus dependent on H&C relief to keep PR status).

By the way, there is no hint whatsoever that there is any vigilantism involved in the enforcement of the Canadian PR RO. The manner in which this is expressed suggests trolling. I have given you the benefit of the doubt above and offered a genuine response, most of which is supported by the same sources I cited and linked in a previous post above, plus additional statutes and regulations relating specifically to the 44(1) Report process and procedures related to the PR TD application process. I am hoping your participation here is sincere.

Aleks30

Star Member
Oct 1, 2021
Thanks everyone for the answers.
Several facts.
1.The daughter called to IRCC many times.
IRCC answered - "we sent a request to Vancouver. And we SEE that the email has been read ( 20th of October ).But we do not understand why there is no answer for so long."
2. On January 1, 2022, my daughter will have 995 days outside Canada (over the past 5 years)
Thus 1825 (5 years) -995= 830 days in Canada (minimum requirement -730 days)
3.Before the situation in Afghanistan, we received a response from IRCC all the time - "Yes. Your application has been sent to the local office in Vancouver. Please wait." Now ,all the time, only automatic replies -Afghanistan.
4. Checked again today
  1. We received your application for a permanent resident card on August 16, 2019.
  2. We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s) on August 17, 2019.
  3. We started processing your application on August 17, 2019.
Sometimes I just think - in order to issue a new card, IRCC need a document on the basis of which the card will be issued. The correct document ( imm5444) in accordance with the requirements and the law. And now they do not have such a document. Rather, there is an application - but it does not contain the required number of days.
Maybe IRCC is just waiting for me to send a new form PRcard application (with the required number of days) ?

Actually ... the situation is very terrible.
Daughter extends health insurance - shows her cellphone and her status - "in process"
Extends the driver's license - shows the celphone. Every 2 months.
It's just some kind of mockery of a resident of Canada.
Everywhere they are simply surprised and cannot understand what is happening in IRCC!
How can you mock a person like that for more than 2 years?

Last edited:

Aleks30

Star Member
Oct 1, 2021
Addition.
My daughter crossed the Canadian border - LEGALLY. In accordance with the law.
By airplane.
And then ,her PR card was still valid.
In general, she is a very shy girl, she is afraid of everything ... she works at a school, pays all taxes, everything is legal and does not hide anything.

I could understand if I got AT LEAST ONE ANSWER from Vancouver ..For example "We are considering ... sorry ... the decision will be made on that date ..."
But for more than 2 years there are NO answers AT ALL.
There is not a single answer from Vancouver that they are considering the application!
Is a mockery.
And nobody wants to find out anything.

But maybe Canada is doing a "cleanup."And this "silence" is done on purpose.
And Canada specifically creates such conditions for people to leave it.
As if it is the decision of the people themselves.

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Addition.
My daughter crossed the Canadian border - LEGALLY. In accordance with the law.
By airplane.
And then ,her PR card was still valid.
In general, she is a very shy girl, she is afraid of everything ... she works at a school, pays all taxes, everything is legal and does not hide anything.

I could understand if I got AT LEAST ONE ANSWER from Vancouver ..For example "We are considering ... sorry ... the decision will be made on that date ..."
There is not a single answer from Vancouver that they are considering the application!
Is a mockery.

If she didn’t meet her RO when she filed for her PR card renewal she is actually quite lucky that there have been long unexplained delays. It has nothing to do with entering legally or not. She was at risk of losing her PR status when she applied to renew her PR card but given the delays she has accumulated over 730 days in Canada.

Aleks30

Star Member
Oct 1, 2021
It seems that in Vancouver they don't know what to do, and no one wants to take responsibility for the decision.(Or such a huge line to the immigration officer to clarify the case.(due Corona19. But I heard that today they do it On line)

Agents IRCC ,who respond to web form requests, don't really know -anything.
They just write what is written in the file.
And nothing new has appeared there over the past 2 years.
And they don't want to find out the reasons.

Last edited:

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
If she didn’t meet her RO when she filed for her PR card renewal she is actually quite lucky that there have been long unexplained delays. It has nothing to do with entering legally or not. She was at risk of losing her PR status when she applied to renew her PR card but given the delays she has accumulated over 730 days in Canada.
But that is NOT likely to be relevant now. She appears to be in RO compliance now.

An exception: It is possible the local office sent requests that she did not get (such as due to contact information error) and thus did not respond to those requests, and a 44(1) Report for a breach of the RO was prepared some time ago. Given the contacts with IRCC this does NOT appear to be the situation.

However, if this is the situation, then she really needs a lawyer.

Thanks everyone for the answers.
Several facts.
1.The daughter called to IRCC many times.
IRCC answered - "we sent a request to Vancouver. And we SEE that the email has been read ( 20th of October ).But we do not understand why there is no answer for so long."
2. On January 1, 2022, my daughter will have 995 days outside Canada (over the past 5 years)
Thus 1825 (5 years) -995= 830 days in Canada (minimum requirement -730 days)
3.Before the situation in Afghanistan, we received a response from IRCC all the time - "Yes. Your application has been sent to the local office in Vancouver. Please wait." Now ,all the time, only automatic replies -Afghanistan.
4. Checked again today
  1. We received your application for a permanent resident card on August 16, 2019.
  2. We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s) on August 17, 2019.
  3. We started processing your application on August 17, 2019.
Sometimes I just think - in order to issue a new card, IRCC need a document on the basis of which the card will be issued. The correct document ( imm5444) in accordance with the requirements and the law. And now they do not have such a document. Rather, there is an application - but it does not contain the required number of days.
Maybe IRCC is just waiting for me to send a new form PRcard application (with the required number of days) ?

Actually ... the situation is very terrible.
Daughter extends health insurance - shows her cellphone and her status - "in process"
Extends the driver's license - shows the celphone. Every 2 months.
It's just some kind of mockery of a resident of Canada.
Everywhere they are simply surprised and cannot understand what is happening in IRCC!
How can you mock a person like that for more than 2 years?
I understand your frustration.

But this does NOT appear to be about the Residency Obligation. I cannot say for sure it is something serious, but there is definitely a risk it is serious. She can wait to see what happens, but the better approach is to see a lawyer as soon as practical.

I hope it is not a serious issue. A lot of stuff got sidetracked during the Covid pandemic. That could be the explanation (very hard to say what the issue actually is). It is possible that the initial referral to the local office was about RO compliance, then there was the pandemic, it got sidetracked. In that case, IF that is the situation (this is just a possible example, not what I think happened), THEN a demand letter from a lawyer now may be enough to get this resolved.

While this does not appear to be about the RO, as I mentioned to @canuck78, there is a possible exception: if the local office sent requests that she did not get (such as due to contact information error) and thus did not respond to those requests, it is possible a 44(1) Report for a breach of the RO was prepared some time ago. Given the contacts with IRCC this does NOT appear to be the situation, but since IRCC will only communicate directly with the PR unless an authorized representative has been designated, it is difficult to be sure. You say, for example, "Maybe IRCC is just waiting for me to send a new form PR card application (with the required number of days)?" And you make other first person references. I am guessing this is more a language issue and that you are actually talking, for example, about your daughter (the PR) potentially making a new PR card application. But to be clear, IRCC will only deal directly with the PR unless the PR has properly designated an authorized representative.

I am no expert. I am NOT a Canadian lawyer, let alone one practicing in the area of immigration law. So I cannot offer personal advice . . . other than the obvious stuff, like it is time to see a lawyer. That said, if she has not used it yet, she could submit a webform inquiry or, perhaps even a request for urgent processing using the webform (technically she does not qualify for urgent processing, but given how long this application has been in process, perhaps just explaining the hardship it is causing, and how long it has been, will influence whoever screens the request to at least do something that causes the local office to take some action on it). The link for that is here: https://secure.cic.gc.ca/enquiries-renseignements/canada-case-cas-eng.aspx?_ga=1.248793671.1540905010.1415025687

In any event, this is not about mocking a PR. This is not about some "cleanup" and is definitely not about the government creating conditions to encourage legitimate PRs to leave (on the contrary, the government is currently scrambling to bring more immigrants to Canada because the global pandemic had a big, negative impact on immigration numbers . . . Canada needs a steady flow of immigrants to fuel its economy). A new application is not likely to change the situation.

It appears pretty clear that EITHER something has gotten lost or mixed-up in the local office (that's possible), OR there is a real issue at stake. There is a significant risk of the latter, a real issue, something serious, so the suggestion to see a lawyer should be taken seriously.

Notwithstanding more than a little bad mouthing targeting IRCC and Canada, actually the system tends to be flexible with PRs, if not rather lenient and generous. That may not be your impression, but that is how things tend to lean, by a lot. There are instances in which IRCC can be unfair. But those tend to be the exception, far from the rule.

Hopefully this situation gets resolved sooner rather than later. (There is a way to force things, but that is so NOT recommended I am not going to go there; far, far better to talk to a lawyer first.)

Aleks30

Star Member
Oct 1, 2021
If there was a report (44 (1) Report for a breach of the RO) -Status of the PR application would be changed.
But the status is "in process" all the time.
So there was no report (44 (1).

As I wrote above, my daughter called them many times.
And the IRCC don't know what to say.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
The timing suggests to me that this is possibly just a covid snafu, document caught in an office/on a desk where it needs to be dislodged, possibly in a situation where physical access was restricted (and full digital workflow was not yet established). That may be overly optimistic but let's hope.

Have you tried your MP's office? While there is little that an MP's office can directly influence, sometimes their inquiries can be helpful in getting that office to dig it up and actually deal with it.

jakklondon

Oct 17, 2021
Is a mockery.

G o v e r n m e n t will abuse its' powers and will mistreat people, unless people demand accountability from their government. This can happen anywhere, in Zimbabwe as well as in Canada or the USA. So, nothing surprising or new there, mocking is what an individual in power will do to an individual who lacks it, unless abused take stand and assert their rights.

Above is rather generalized statement, not necessarily related to your daughter's situation. No one here can tell why her application is stuck, all we can do is speculate. Chances are IRCC is overwhelmed with "high priority" cases and severely understaffed, and anything requiring secondary review by an officer with special duties gets thrown into a black hole where it may stay indefinitely. It's also possible that she is a subject of "investigation" before decision can be made (which, in plain language, means they are trying to verify the dates she spent in and out of Canada, but lack intelligence, resources and will do carry out few simple tasks).

Again, this is a general statement, but you wouldn't believe how s t u p i d and c a l l o u s a lot of people working in g o v e r n m e n t s are. It seems like the only way you qualify to work for g o v e r n m e n t is if you are the worst person in your community, willing harm innocent people and totally unwilling to move if it involves our civic duty to deliver services and make lives of ordinary individuals better. I am not sure if its deliberate policy to hire such people (with desired effect being, as you suggested, to "cleanse" Canada of certain PRs), or its just an outcome of overall incompetency, lack of transparency and g o v e r n m e n t accountability in a brave new world we live in.

Your daughter should consult an immigration attorney at this point. I don't think this forum generates enough publicity for IRCC to care to read and respond to your daughter's plight (it would be a different story if one of the big, mainstream newspapers published her story. So, if things get ridiculous beyond belief you could also write to your local newspapers and TV stations, in hopes they would run a story about her. This would draw immediate attention and resolution to her case, but you should still first contact an attorney, to make sure she is legally entitled to the card she applied for). And I don't think anyone here can give you an advise that will address your inquiry, simply because posters here lack the knowledge of the individual circumstances of your daughter and her application status within IRCC.
One last thing you can do is contact your Federal authorities at the local level. In the US you would reach out to your Congressmen. I think in Canada it's your MP? Wish your daughter good luck!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Again, this is a general statement, but you wouldn't believe how s t u p i d and c a l l o u s a lot of people working in g o v e r n m e n t s are. It seems like the only way you qualify to work for g o v e r n m e n t is if you are the worst person in your community, willing harm innocent people and totally unwilling to move if it involves our civic duty to deliver services and make lives of ordinary individuals better. I am not sure if its deliberate policy to hire such people (with desired effect being, as you suggested, to "cleanse" Canada of certain PRs), or its just an outcome of overall incompetency, lack of transparency and g o v e r n m e n t accountability in a brave new world we live in.
What a lot of twaddle. People who think like this generally get the government they deserve (and often seem to secretly desire, as it confirms their preconceived notions).

Reactions: BadGamer6

jakklondon

Oct 17, 2021
What a lot of twaddle. People who think like this generally get the government they deserve (and often seem to secretly desire, as it confirms their preconceived notions).
In your free time (if you have any) read the writings of one of the great thinkers of modern times, of the man who was one of the founders of the United States of America, his name is Thomas Jefferson. You will see a lot of "twaddle" like that in his writings. It's not for faint hearted, but men with spirit, virtue and uncompromising certainty in their inherent rights to freedom and who believe the governments exist for public service.

P.S. I will add you to my "ignore" list, hopefully it will make my posts invisible to you (as yours to me), and save you a trouble of reading and responding to what I write. Wish you best of luck.

Aleks30

Star Member
Oct 1, 2021
I'm guessing the documents fell and disappeared. But in 2 years I have written so many emails - that IRCC can write a book! And if IRCC transferred emails to Vancouver, they should have sounded the alarm about the missing documents long ago.
The provincial MP has already been contacted a year ago.
He was answered the same - in process.
And that he cannot influence the progress of the case.

The most strange thing is that no one deprived the daughter of the status of a Permanent Resident. (If not, then the PR status remains)
If so, then in October 2022 she will already have the right to apply for Citizenship.

Last edited:

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
If so, then in October 2022 she will already have the right to apply for Citizenship.
Given her CBSA and IRCC application history as described here, there could be some delays on her citizenship application, but hey let's hope I'm wrong.