+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What is the best way to prove physical presence in Canada when unemployed?

RQ2012

Star Member
Mar 6, 2014
sapguru said:
I have already got a RQ. What happens if I am not able to provide required residence proof or my residence proof do not satisfy the Officer / Judge handling the case?
If the CIC is not satisfied even after RQ that you met the residence requirements then, unfortunately, the application is likely to be rejected.

boltz

Jul 30, 2009
thecoolguysam said:
why would I get RQ? every newcomer gets couple of months to settle down.
The reason for RQ is not because you are a new comer; nor because you do not have a job during this period. The reason for RQ could be because you are not able to prove your physical presence in a direct way.

RQ2012

Star Member
Mar 6, 2014
thecoolguysam said:
i agree but i never went outside canada for almost a year. so there are no entry/exit stamps for almost 1 year which proves that I was in Canada
Since you received the RQ, you need to provide all the information/ documents as asked by CIC.

paw339

Star Member
May 28, 2014
Credibility is always the key. Be honest, don't try and hide information or mislead and avoid as far as possible making mistakes in your application. IMO this forum often gives a misleading impression of the likelihood of major problems because it tends to be populated by those who have had problems. Of the dozen or so varied people I know who have become citizen's in the last few years none had problems as far as I'm aware, they just had to wait over 12 months.

Would credit cards with photo ID on them be more useful as proof of residency than normal credit cards?

paw339

Star Member
May 28, 2014
thecoolguysam said:
i stayed at my relative's home. I was unemployed for two months.
what can be used to show that I stayed there?
Unless your credibility has been brought into question why wouldn't CIC just accept things at face value? 2 months is not that long.

sapguru

Jul 16, 2010
Toronto
LANDED..........
16-08-2009
May be the System needs to enforce reporting to Police station (like Parole) for the new residents ;D ;D ;D

If the Govt cannot Regulate the process then they should not Assess it (so rigorously). Its a shame that the residents have to go through such a broken process. We came to live in a Developed country but this kind of hassle reminds of home country and unfortunately we cannot bribe (called donation here) openly to get through it :(

If the Govt had felt the pain of abuse of system, then they should have worked to build a process around it. The people who actually abuse the system will always find a way to get around these RQ and silly questions.

Just a sheer waste of time and energy!

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
I just read this thread and asked this question.

I haven't submitted my application yet, waiting for some paperwork to arrive.

I stayed with my wife at her parent's home in the beginning and initial 2 months i was unemployed. In case, I get RQ, how can i prove my those two months of unemployment?

sapguru

Jul 16, 2010
Toronto
LANDED..........
16-08-2009
thecoolguysam said:
I just read this thread and asked this question.

I haven't submitted my application yet, waiting for some paperwork to arrive.

I stayed with my wife at her parent's home in the beginning and initial 2 months i was unemployed. In case, I get RQ, how can i prove my those two months of unemployment?
If you can wait for 2 months pls wait. The RQ asks the history of last 4 years from the date that you put in the Citizenship Application / Residence Calculator. You may be lucky to not get RQ if your case is straight forward. Came to Canada as landed immigrant, stayed here, did not leave country, family came with you, etc.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
i came 3 years ago so if i need to avoid those two months i have to wait 14 months and then the new 4/6 year rule will apply and then they will ask history for 6 years lol
so its better to apply now rather than waiting...

SinghLovCan

Jul 21, 2011
Category........
NOC Code......
dont know
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
thecoolguysam said:
i came 3 years ago so if i need to avoid those two months i have to wait 14 months and then the new 4/6 year rule will apply and then they will ask history for 6 years lol
so its better to apply now rather than waiting...
Sometimes patience and waiting, brings about the best results. Whats wrong with waiting 6 years or 4 years?

sapguru

Jul 16, 2010
Toronto
LANDED..........
16-08-2009
Not sure why you have to wait for 14 months to avoid 2 months of no history when you mentioned that it happened when you first came. It should be simply pushing by 2 months now unless you have some more absences.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
they are asking for 4 years residence history and 4 years of work history.
i came to canada in 2011 october and now eligible for citizenship.
if i provide 4 years of work history and residence history, i have provide 3 years of canada and 1 year outside canada from my home country.
which means in order to provide 4 years of history of canada, i have to stay 4 years then apply means 2 months of unemployment + 12 months of stay in canada and then i can have 4 years of address history for canada.

sapguru

Jul 16, 2010
Toronto
LANDED..........
16-08-2009
thecoolguysam said:
they are asking for 4 years residence history and 4 years of work history.
i came to canada in 2011 october and now eligible for citizenship.
if i provide 4 years of work history and residence history, i have provide 3 years of canada and 1 year outside canada from my home country.
which means in order to provide 4 years of history of canada, i have to stay 4 years then apply means 2 months of unemployment + 12 months of stay in canada and then i can have 4 years of address history for canada.
Per my understanding, there is no requirement of 4 years of Work History. Just need 1095 days of stay in Canada in last 4 years.